Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
rather than continuing to pollute the ESP thread, figured it was time to start a CAM-C thread instead.

while i'm still committed to running ESP at nats, it's been tough filling the class at both tours and pros on the west coast. as a result, i've been bolting BFG rival-s on at events, and having more fun than i was expecting to. so much so, that i'm seriously considering prepping for CAM-C specifically. with the failing experiment that is STP, and strong aversion by the STAC in "making it right", i strongly believe that the SCCA will find some way to continue to build upon the success of the CAM classes.

over and above my existing ESP prep, here's where my mind's at for building an even more competitive CAM-C car:

centrifugal supercharger
- anybody who says more power on 200TW tires can't be used hasn't driven one of these cars on 18x12/335 rivals! currently, with 500WHP, i am *bogging* shifting into 2nd near redline (8000+). color me impressed! i figure with some additional hp/tq at the lower revs, and a bunch more higher up, i'll fix that problem :)

transmission
- blew up my engine, so with the rebuild and power doubling, MT82 will be the next weakest link. tranzilla (beefed up magnum xl) may be the prescription to cure those ills.

wheels/tires
- more power needs more grip! 335s are slightly pinched on 12s; i found that putting a 315 on a 12 gained me almost 1" of contact patch, and figure that doing the same with a 335 on a 13 would yield similar results. up front, however, there's no more inboard room, so all that width would be outboard - highly undesirable, considering i'm already 79"+ tire-to-tire. the next item will fix that though..

front suspension
- SLA baby! dual benefit of dropping weight up front (150lbs+), and the inherent advantages that come with a double wishbone setup over struts.

rear suspension
- tubular subframe. because weight.

additional weight loss
- i haven't done everything i can do in ESP (seats, tow hitch delete, lighter mufflers), but about the best i can hope for is 3500ish. SLA gets me to 3350, meaning i'll have to find another 150lbs to lose. rear seat removal (30lbs?), 1pc carbon driveshaft (10lbs?), but additional weight from wider rear wheels and stronger axles will counter some of that (not to mention the intercooled centrifugal setup up front). i'll have my work cut out here, and may need to open the wallet a bit for lighter body panels (CF hood/trunklid/quarter panels). tubular rear subframe might be the ticket, too. most likely though, i'll be slightly overweight and can live with that.

anybody else thinking along the same lines? thoughts? excitement? :headbang:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
first update: ran my 335/18x12 rival-s square setup this past weekend at the packwood pro solo. for the first time this season, neither ESP nor CAM made a class (5 entrants), so i was forced to run in bump - unfortunately, that meant going up against newer WRXs from DS, and their (significant) launch advantage - whereas i was struggling to put down 2.0s, they were happily cutting 1.7s all weekend. it's even more magnified at packwood, since the size of the site limits course length, as well as the use of higher speed transitions and slaloms - two areas where my car has significant advantages.

all that said, i gave it my best and managed to put my car within half a second of the winner on my final two runs on sunday. considering i wasn't able to run 10/10ths on one side - there was a *massive* bump that had all *4* of my wheels airborne, due to rear shock bottoming as a result of having soft springs - i was very pleased with the end result. made the challenge, but bowed out in the first round when i smacked a cone on cold tires - definitely one disadvantage of having such large tires, they take time to get some heat in them! even more pleasing was having *no* inner/outer tire rub on both ends of the car, though. definitely didn't think that would be the case with some poke up front, but the stiffer springs i swapped on limited the amount of travel.

i'll have some pics up shortly, but suffice it to say, going from 315/11 to 335/12 didn't slow the car down any :)

this is definitely the setup i'll be running at the pro finale in lincoln. just need a few more events to re-learn how to get the most out of the immense amount of grip they have.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
only action shot i could find - i've got some pics on my phone showing my car with the 335/12 setup at rest, will get those up soon.

edit: found another one

profile shots of the (slight) wheel/tire poke up front - "slight" being a relative term of course, and my definition is probably not the same as most! :)

28366157856_477d55576c_b.jpg

28366157436_30e55ec1bb_b.jpg

edit2: another pic showing how much wider the 335s are unmounted compared to the 18x12s - lending credence to the idea of going to 18x13 next season:

27882590240_a488af762c_b.jpg

Last edited:

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Do they offer trophies for CAM at nationals? I thought you could run CAM but its not recognized for trophies/points.

Also would you be doing the designing for the SLA setup or is there a kit to roughly get you started and then you'd fabricate into place?

Super interesting build btw, as an autocross guy myself, I find your build to be the best on the forum!

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Do they offer trophies for CAM at nationals? I thought you could run CAM but its not recognized for trophies/points.
CAM is a national championship class for PRO solo - not for solo nats. i'm heading into the finale with maximum points, so i may as well try and win the whole damn thing :)
i'll be co-driving in ESP with simmons for solo nats though. gotta get some heat into those meats! :D

Also would you be doing the designing for the SLA setup or is there a kit to roughly get you started and then you'd fabricate into place?
griggs is putting a kit together that i'd be using. i am by no means an engineer/fabricator, and while i have friends that are, i relish the driving more than i do the build (and time/commitment/money that goes along with it!)

Super interesting build btw, as an autocross guy myself, I find your build to be the best on the forum!
thanks, it's been quite a journey so far, and i'm looking forward to continually improving both the driving and the setup down the road.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
We should merge the STP and CAM-C threads just to show the STAC how it's done, heh :frusty:

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I checked out griggs stuff, thats crazy but ingenious. That type of work makes me feel stupid as an engineer.. Price is up there for s197 kit but I wouldn't say unreasonable. Do you have a rough of idea of what it might cost for the s550 kit?

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
335 square...:headbang: wow, and I was proud of my 305 square set up...

Do you have a build thread?

I got my 300A car down to 3,520 lbs, and still have rear seats and stuff I could remove, but I'm NA.

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
335 square...:headbang: wow, and I was proud of my 305 square set up...

Do you have a build thread?

I got my 300A car down to 3,520 lbs, and still have rear seats and stuff I could remove, but I'm NA.
Boardkat, pretty much wrote the ESP build thread, most of his work if not all is in the ESP thread.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm going to play around in CAM-C at a local event or two as it's the easiest place for my car to play. I'd love to do some 315 rival S tires, but with the backorder(and my current 18x10 wheels), I just went with the 275 RE71R's.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
rather than continuing to pollute the ESP thread, figured it was time to start a CAM-C thread instead.

additional weight loss
- i haven't done everything i can do in ESP (seats, tow hitch delete, lighter mufflers), but about the best i can hope for is 3500ish. SLA gets me to 3350, meaning i'll have to find another 150lbs to lose. rear seat removal (30lbs?), 1pc carbon driveshaft (10lbs?), but additional weight from wider rear wheels and stronger axles will counter some of that. i'll have my work cut out here, and may need to open the wallet a bit for lighter body panels (CF hood/trunklid/quarter panels). most likely though, i'll be slightly overweight and can live with that.

anybody else thinking along the same lines? thoughts? excitement? :headbang:
You can drop another 25-30 lbs by going with a light clutch and single mass flywheel set up in ESP or CAM-C

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
You can drop another 25-30 lbs by going with a light clutch and single mass flywheel set up in ESP or CAM-C
since this is my DD, i'm reluctant to do that right now. but yes, agreed, another place to lose weight - and definitely necessary with true CAM-C power!

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I checked out griggs stuff, thats crazy but ingenious. That type of work makes me feel stupid as an engineer.. Price is up there for s197 kit but I wouldn't say unreasonable. Do you have a rough of idea of what it might cost for the s550 kit?
no idea, but i'd guess that the barebones kit (subframe, control arms, spindles, hubs, etc) would be in the 7k-ish range. sky's the limit after that, depending on what shocks you'd want. i know griggs usually pairs some good koni monotubes with their systems, but i'd probably get a penske setup, especially since i am very interested in finally trying out a regressively valved shock.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
What mods do you have on the front that prevents rubbing those giant tires on the fender when you go round corners?
properly offset wheels and about 1" of fender spacing/pulling. although i just picked up some offset struts, so i'll be getting ~10mm/corner inboard back.
Sponsored