Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
@jpaulson, welcome to the party! I'm planning to be out at PIR South for OR Region the first weekend of March so, see you there. The BCA weekend this month is just too early for me but if it's snowing then I'll bring up the Subie Outback, haha.

Nice list of parts and glad to see the bolt upgrade with the diff inserts. Upgraded bolts for the inserts are a must!
We will see you there. I have a lot of work to do before then...

Dennis warned me about the diff bolt issue.

Just curious what size front bar are you running?
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
We will see you there. I have a lot of work to do before then...

Dennis warned me about the diff bolt issue.

Just curious what size front bar are you running?
I have the Steeda 1 3/8" bar with billet delrin mounts and thin fender washers underneath the bolts to avoid binding.

Did you go with bronze wheels? After thinking about it, bronze would be cool with ruby red.

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I have the Steeda 1 3/8" bar with billet delrin mounts and thin fender washers underneath the bolts to avoid binding.

Did you go with bronze wheels? After thinking about it, bronze would be cool with ruby red.
Ryan is pretty sure I will want the 1 1/2" bar so I am going to start with that. Do you run yours full stiff?

The boss preferred gloss black, and I am not in a position right now to go out on a limb. haha

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ryan is pretty sure I will want the 1 1/2" bar so I am going to start with that. Do you run yours full stiff?

The boss preferred gloss black, and I am not in a position right now to go out on a limb. haha
Haha, keep the boss happy!

I did run the front bar at full stuff with 350 lb front springs. The car was much better though at the end of last season with 500 lb front springs and 1600 rears and the front bar on 2 out of 4 and rear disconnected. The Packwood CT was the first time i ran that way. (My downfall there was not cooling the tires between runs)

If Ryan thinks it needs a big bar then that's got my attention. Or maybe he means with the springs you're starting off with.

One thing I'm really curious about is how my car will run with the DR rear springs compared to 1600 race springs on weight jackers. For one thing I'm a half inch higher now.

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Haha, keep the boss happy!

I did run the front bar at full stuff with 350 lb front springs. The car was much better though at the end of last season with 500 lb front springs and 1600 rears and the front bar on 2 out of 4 and rear disconnected. The Packwood CT was the first time i ran that way. (My downfall there was not cooling the tires between runs)

If Ryan thinks it needs a big bar then that's got my attention. Or maybe he means with the springs you're starting off with.

One thing I'm really curious about is how my car will run with the DR rear springs compared to 1600 race springs on weight jackers. For one thing I'm a half inch higher now.
Ryan is assuming 350# springs in his calculations. Once I get it and can figure out wall thickness we will know more. He is also assuming that there is probably some overlap between the two bars. We are hoping that full soft on 38mm will be softer that fill stiff on the 35mm.

Got to start somewhere.....

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
@boardkat, @jpaulson,

MIght as well use this thread to reach you both at once...Due to the pounding of snow we're getting on the east side of the Cascades I have to give up on running with yous this weekend at PIR. I'm actually in Clackamas right now but in the work truck until Friday. My car is warm and cozy in the garage back home while the trailer has feets of snow on it and more feets of snow blocking it from leaving the driveway. Roads in C.O. are HORRIBLE!

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
@boardkat, @jpaulson,

MIght as well use this thread to reach you both at once...Due to the pounding of snow we're getting on the east side of the Cascades I have to give up on running with yous this weekend at PIR. I'm actually in Clackamas right now but in the work truck until Friday. My car is warm and cozy in the garage back home while the trailer has feets of snow on it and more feets of snow blocking it from leaving the driveway. Roads in C.O. are HORRIBLE!
I figured you were buried in snow these days. I can't say I am real excited about standing out in the cold all weekend but I am anxious to try the car out. At least the forecast is looking better.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I figured you were buried in snow these days. I can't say I am real excited about standing out in the cold all weekend but I am anxious to try the car out. At least the forecast is looking better.
It got all winter n stuff for us all of a sudden, huh? Maybe I can make the event on the 24th.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ran the Rival S 1.5s at Crows this past weekend and really like them. You're going to think I'm crazy though as they were 275s on 18x11" wheels. I just like the way my car drives with a tire stretched a bit on a wheel as opposed to a fat tire crammed on there. Plus, with the way the 315s would have over-hanged by 3/4" a side I would have had to really decamber the front to just fit those.

Oh and @boardkat 's car is an absolute monster right now.

Since I get to order a free tire from a second place finish what to do? 305-19 and test fit on an 11.5" SVE GT7 wheel?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ran the Rival S 1.5s at Crows this past weekend and really like them. You're going to think I'm crazy though as they were 275s on 18x11" wheels.
Nothing wrong with max-recommended wheel width fitments . . . not even appearance-wise once you know what's behind what you're looking at.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ran the Rival S 1.5s at Crows this past weekend and really like them. You're going to think I'm crazy though as they were 275s on 18x11" wheels. I just like the way my car drives with a tire stretched a bit on a wheel as opposed to a fat tire crammed on there. Plus, with the way the 315s would have over-hanged by 3/4" a side I would have had to really decamber the front to just fit those.

Oh and @boardkat 's car is an absolute monster right now.

Since I get to order a free tire from a second place finish what to do? 305-19 and test fit on an 11.5" SVE GT7 wheel?
I've never driven on the Rivals. Thoughts vs RE71Rs? Leaning towards RE71R still even though the Rival S 1.5 is now available in the size I use.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've never driven on the Rivals. Thoughts vs RE71Rs? Leaning towards RE71R still even though the Rival S 1.5 is now available in the size I use.
Answering is going to be hard to do with any concrete data. All I can do is provide subjective thoughts. I had not driven on Rival S tires either, never mind the 1.5. I also had not used my 305-30-19 RE71Rs at Crows prior either. Crows is a huge place with wonderful grippy concrete to run on.

This past weekend I had the best tour event with the Mustang, if ever. Huge lateral grip, a softer edge of adhesion than I recall with RE71Rs, better ability to put the power down, great feel for the limits and I just felt like I could drive my guts out with the current setup.

Since last season there are more changes to my setup than just the tires that I'm sure play a role with how the car feels. If you recall some of my posts from last season about like braking issues, bouncy freeway ride, stuff like that; I worked on those things too:

1. Shock settings - I figured out that the Roush V3 shocks had a point with rebound settings where if set too stiff caused a bouncing ride (and presumably handling issues). I had been above that threshold last season. Looking at my notes shows rebound is set WAY lower now than it was last year. Compression too.
2. Increased ride height - went from 1600 race springs in rear to Steeda DR. The ride height difference is 5/8" higher with the DR springs compared to where I had the weight jackers last season. I also went from RSB unhooked to V6 rear bar (the smallest available).
2b. Longer front spring - 500-lb 6" front springs to 450-lb 7" springs. Not much difference in rate but the longer 450 spring helped me get the rake closer to where it was last season but there is more rake now.
3. Front Sway Bar - Steeda FSB from #2 from soft to full stiff.

I have not tried these new Rivals out on a local course.

DISCLAIMER - my setup is NOT the ultimate CAMC setup and I'm not touting it as that either. Just trying to make the best of what I have. If you are starting a CAMC build start with real shocks (JRi, new version MCS, Ridetech, JRZ, something along those lines) and go from there.

Since @boardkat saw me getting too close for comfort with the skinny 1.5s and he won 2 tires from his win he's likely going to be on 1.5s next time too but in jumbo sizes. So, once again I'm back where I was. Turd! ;o)

Last edited: