Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, pretty conscientious about things like that.
use some green (wicking) locktite if it won't stay put but I would look at what's wrong with the design that it's moving despite being torqued.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've had some problems with the Pedder's upper camber adjustment slipping and found it had again, and I'm apparently not very observant. When I corrected it, the flow2 18x11 et 52 fit fine on the front with 25mm spacers.

Now I have a set of 2 10 1/2" Et 52's I probably don't need. They did fit even with the camber maxed on the strut. Obviously, rather get camber with plates.

Not sure what to do about the slipping other than maybe safety wiring them, if the bolts are actually loosening. Add some lock-tite maybe when I take them out for the plate addition.
What's slipping? Is it the the two big spindle bolts or a camber plate at the top?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
What's slipping? Is it the the two big spindle bolts or a camber plate at the top?
If it's one of the big spindle bolts, then a sure fix is to slot the upper hole appropriately and then weld a large area washer of the necessary ID to the strut clevis. The clevis will not be able to slip because the large washer will positively locate it.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
The big spindle nuts were actually both loose this time. Not sure why or how that would happen to torqued nuts. Maybe I need new fasteners. This is the second set of suspension I've installed.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The big spindle nuts were actually both loose this time. Not sure why or how that would happen to torqued nuts. Maybe I need new fasteners. This is the second set of suspension I've installed.
do yours have splines? If not, get a set that is.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Splined bolts won't help if the struts aren't grooved to match, and a slotted strut hole won't be grooved, so doesn't matter.

Anyway, get some new bolts from Ford, yours may be stretched out.

Like TeeLew is saying welded on washers (or a dab of weld filling in the slot) can help the bolts and camber from shifting, but the fix for the bolts loosening is new fasteners and lots of torque IMHO. BTDT, even had one nut come completely off one time (luckily the splined bolt stayed in place, or that could have been interesting).

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Definitely going to 18's later this year. As we know, 315 18s are only 25.5" tall making the 3.73's short (even with a 7900 limit).

I have a lead on a loaded ALuminum 3.55 diff (I'd have the Torsen swapped into it) for shipping only or I can try to source a similar 3.31 setup.

Will 3.55 still be too much gear I wonder. ARGH decisions.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I have a lead on a loaded ALuminum 3.55 diff (I'd have the Torsen swapped into it) for shipping only or I can try to source a similar 3.31 setup.
My default gearing approach is to go tall (lower numerically). Generally speaking, we tend to match corner speeds to our gears and excessively low gearing will often tempt the driver into overslowing the corner where a taller gear will often encourage the driver to roll that extra mph or two. At the end of the day, it's an R&P. You're talking about $200 and some elbow grease. Try them both.

I'm moving to the 3.15, because I have 1200 RPM less than you. Even with taller tires (295/18 A052's) I get stuck between second and third gear. I've got a loaded AL housing. The trick is the diff. These can only hold the Traction-Lok diff, so I am making a few improvements to it before installation.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
My default gearing approach is to go tall (lower numerically). Generally speaking, we tend to match corner speeds to our gears and excessively low gearing will often tempt the driver into overslowing the corner where a taller gear will often encourage the driver to roll that extra mph or two. At the end of the day, it's an R&P. You're talking about $200 and some elbow grease. Try them both.

I'm moving to the 3.15, because I have 1200 RPM less than you. Even with taller tires (295/18 A052's) I get stuck between second and third gear. I've got a loaded AL housing. The trick is the diff. These can only hold the Traction-Lok diff, so I am making a few improvements to it before installation.
If I knew how to swap gears it's still 500 each time (for gears and rebuild kit).

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
If I knew how to swap gears it's still 500 each time (for gears and rebuild kit).
You might have to buy some tools, but I bet you could do it and I bet you'd do a better job than 95% of the guys out there getting paid for it.

On my end, I don't have to install the R&P, but I do have to open it up. The first new tool was inverted torx sockets. The AL housings use these on the rear cover. Apparently, they use these to limit the torque that can be applied to the fastener to reduce the number of stripped threads for the torque wrench impaired.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
You might have to buy some tools, but I bet you could do it and I bet you'd do a better job than 95% of the guys out there getting paid for it.

On my end, I don't have to install the R&P, but I do have to open it up. The first new tool was inverted torx sockets. The AL housings use these on the rear cover. Apparently, they use these to limit the torque that can be applied to the fastener to reduce the number of stripped threads for the torque wrench impaired.
Makes sense. I am going to pick up a loaded EB auto aluminum diff with 3.31's locally for 150 bucks. Then have the torsen swapped in and flange swapped. IDK how well I trust myself to do it, but I'd be willing to try.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Diff goes in this weekend/early next week. I also decided to go with Nankang CR-S tires in 315/30/18 for the 18x11 Flow Ones.

Really impressed with Phil's tire service for the Nankangs as I ordered yesterday morning and by the evening they were shipped and should be arriving on Sunday (NY to Texas).

At some point, I'll get to my aero project.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
315 Nankang on 18x11 if anyone was wondering.
received_242452361380511.jpeg
received_448725133586308.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited: