SCCA CAM-C Thread

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
lots of prep the past few weeks (and trials/tribulations sprinkled throughout), but time to celebrate tonight - finally sub-3500!! nevermind the corner weights though (didn't level):

33583087751_4e129723dd_b.jpg

on a 1/4 tank of gas too - won't need that much with the BAP i added last season. still have a about 15lbs/corner in the rear to drop too from the springs. soon..
Do you have a build thread that covers your weight loss?
Sponsored

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
lol, no worries.
i've never been much for dedicated build threads, but don't mind seeding these autox-related topics with details of the path i'm on - in hopes that it inspires more ambitious builds and resulting competition :)

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've been sucked in by the Optima Series and its been a lot of fun. My biggest thing is getting this girl on a diet!! So damn heavy

rocket71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Dude, your builds are epic. You are definitely trailblazing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Dude, your builds are epic. You are definitely trailblazing!
just wait until i double the power and throw a tranzilla in - and make it usable with my 18x13 square setup on front SLA suspension with a tubular rear subframe as the car approaches 3200lbs. then i'll REALLY be trailblazing (coming soon to a theater near you in 2018.. or 2019) ;)

in the meantime, i'll spend time figuring out how to take my current setup to the top and drive the piss outta the thing every step of the way :D

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Are double adjustable shocks necessary to be competitive in CAMC/STP? All of the builds I see are running DAs or more. I mean I know I'm not going to win but I want to at least fight for a trophy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I would say yes. Compression in addition to rebound is a great adjustment to have, especially if changing springs as a season goes along.

Recently, I went to softer front springs and stiffer rear springs than I had been using. I found more front compression helped transition responsiveness and softer rear compression helped with power down on exit. These small tweaks balanced the car back out and now I'm seeing higher g numbers than ever.

Also, if you just have one adjustment and you are trying to fix a corner entry problem, that same adjustment could affect corner exit. For example, I was using a lot of front rebound to help corner exit but noticed I went a touch too far with it and picked up a push at turn-in. Went a click back in front rebound and to compensate for that with exit I went up a click in rear compression.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Had fun running in CAMC this season. It started off rough but changing over to the much stiffer Hyperco rear springs I talked about really really helped. They are still in the soft end of what a baller ST/CAM-type setup consists of but at least I got to a point where the car put power down well.

Tire wear is great and the Falkens, while not the tippy top of 200TW, still got me a couple PAX and TToDs locally around here. In the rain last weekend, they actually worked really well. Too bad I couldn't avoid cones on my fastest runs all weekend, though.

Much less stress about rules in this category cuz no rules. Biggest thing to work on next year is must get my 2nd gear up into the mid-upper 60s to have a chance at the bigger events.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
glad you (kinda) saw the light and had your come to jesus moment on spring rates, steve :p

i have embraced the class fully, and had a blast this season. winning CAM-C at the CAM challenge in lincoln, then taking everybody down in the shootout to win the whole thing were obvious highlights; disappointed in finishing 2nd at solo nats, but encouraged that i've built a car competitive enough to put it near the top even when the driver's having trouble remembering how to drive well :)

37246765651_a32bf61a73_b.jpg

on that note, i have some pretty ambitious plans this offseason to continue improving the car:

- adding 300whp/200wtq
- installing magnum xl transmission
- going to 18x13/335 square
- FINALLY corner balancing the car and playing with stiffer rear spring rates

i'd like to address weight loss as well, but will need to figure out how to drive the car +100lbs over last year's 3474 weight until i can go SLA up front and swap on a lot of CF next offseason.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
glad you (kinda) saw the light and had your come to jesus moment on spring rates, steve :p

i have embraced the class fully, and had a blast this season. winning CAM-C at the CAM challenge in lincoln, then taking everybody down in the shootout to win the whole thing were obvious highlights; disappointed in finishing 2nd at solo nats, but encouraged that i've built a car competitive enough to put it near the top even when the driver's having trouble remembering how to drive well :)

37246765651_a32bf61a73_b.jpg

on that note, i have some pretty ambitious plans this offseason to continue improving the car:

- adding 300whp/200wtq
- installing magnum xl transmission
- going to 18x13/335 square
- FINALLY corner balancing the car and playing with stiffer rear spring rates

i'd like to address weight loss as well, but will need to figure out how to drive the car +100lbs over last year's 3474 weight until i can go SLA up front and swap on a lot of CF next offseason.
Magnum swap :headbang: tired of getting locked out with the wonderful Chinese junk or doing it to help with gear ratio items?

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Magnum swap :headbang: tired of getting locked out with the wonderful Chinese junk or doing it to help with gear ratio items?
the high rpm lockout issue i had (and everybody else it seems) disappeared when i installed an mgw race spec short shifter

that said, i'm not confident the MT82 will be able to handle 700whp/500wtq+
and with the catasrophic failures i've had in the past when i've run components past their breaking points, i'm trying to avoid having to do a tranny swap on-site 10 (or more) hours from home :lol:

also, yes, wider gearing desired to help put all that power down, and for longer. i'm even hoping to have a usable first gear for once! :)
Sponsored