Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
High rpm lockout? You mean it isn't me that sucks at shifting to 3rd then?

Boardkat be proud it took a group of GM engineers and test drivers with a trick Camaro to beat a guy from Oregon in his Mustang :D
Sponsored

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
the high rpm lockout issue i had (and everybody else it seems) disappeared when i installed an mgw race spec short shifter

that said, i'm not confident the MT82 will be able to handle 700whp/500wtq+
and with the catasrophic failures i've had in the past when i've run components past their breaking points, i'm trying to avoid having to do a tranny swap on-site 10 (or more) hours from home :lol:

also, yes, wider gearing desired to help put all that power down, and for longer. i'm even hoping to have a usable first gear for once! :)
The gearing for the GT350 is about perfect accept for the tall first gear.
It hurts a little in Pro Solo but otherwise perfect. My plan is to swap between the 3.73 and 4.10 final drive.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
The gearing for the GT350 is about perfect accept for the tall first gear.
It hurts a little in Pro Solo but otherwise perfect. My plan is to swap between the 3.73 and 4.10 final drive.
i have been considering a tr3160 swap also, but my powerband is going to be a lot different than yours - tabletop torque curve and (lots) more horsepower everywhere. that said, with a 3.31FD, my math says it "could" still work (i doubt i'll be pushing past 7500 once i add the blower). but i am worried about the torque capacity it can handle - heard it's rated around 425, but i'll be making more than that, although i've seen some recent gt350 builds making big power that haven't grenaded their trannies (yet).

all that said, if the right deal came along, i could definitely be persuaded!

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
i have been considering a tr3160 swap also, but my powerband is going to be a lot different than yours - tabletop torque curve and (lots) more horsepower everywhere. that said, with a 3.31FD, my math says it "could" still work (i doubt i'll be pushing past 7500 once i add the blower). but i am worried about the torque capacity it can handle - heard it's rated around 425, but i'll be making more than that, although i've seen some recent gt350 builds making big power that haven't grenaded their trannies (yet).

all that said, if the right deal came along, i could definitely be persuaded!
The tall first gear would be perfect for a supercharger app.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
The tall first gear would be perfect for a supercharger app.
fwiw, the magnum xl 1st gear that i'm looking at is 2.66 (!) - can also be optioned with a 2.97
the only thing making a tr3160 1st gear "tall" is the 8250 redline ;)
in terms of torque multiplication, it's still relatively "short"
i definitely worry about power application around 2-4k rpm on a 3.25/3.31FD tr3160 vs. a 2.66/3.73FD magnum xl - and i'd be powerless (no pun intended!) to do anything about it other than turning down the boost if i have issues, since it's a can of worms to go lower than 3.31 to the 3.15 auto FD (i'd need a new carriage, different diff - osg wouldn't fit). i'd prefer that my gearing do that for me :)

Sponsored

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
I hear what your saying but I tell you moving around in the paddock it is easy to stall the car.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I hear what your saying but I tell you moving around in the paddock it is easy to stall the car.
sounds like you need some boost too to get those revs up quicker :p

btw, i just bought the first crucial component to satisfy my power ambitions. let the journey begin!
you west coast guys are gonna be laughing and destroying me early next season until i figure out how to drive this thing all over again :lol:

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I broke one of the diff carrier bolts holding a poly insert in so have the diff out of the car to deal with that. Since it is out of the car it is a great time to go to 3.55 gears and maybe even an OS Giken differential.

If going that far you basically buy all new seals and bearings so it got me thinking about just building up a whole new center section. Which led me to this aluminum diff housing. Anyone have any thoughts yay or nay on this? I imagine it'd be a decent weight savings and isn't very expensive.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-s550-mustang-irs-aluminum-differential-housing-15-17-gt.html

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
drag guys will tell you you're stupid for considering it. don't believe them. we aren't running slicks on prepped tracks. i've been running one since 2015. you'll drop 24lbs. you know how often i break shit. i carry my spare iron carriage everywhere though, just in case :)

make sure your rear end guy knows what he's doing. you'll need a case spreader and the right tool to establish the correct pinion depth. this is not DIY stuff for your first rodeo, and i DIY pretty much everything.

nobody else that runs the 6MT is doing this in our sport at our level that i'm aware of. i'm still gonna run it when i double my power. you'll see how that turns out first hand, i'm sure ;)

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
drag guys will tell you you're stupid for considering it. don't believe them. we aren't running slicks on prepped tracks. i've been running one since 2015. you'll drop 24lbs. you know how often i break shit. i carry my spare iron carriage everywhere though, just in case :)

make sure your rear end guy knows what he's doing. you'll need a case spreader and the right tool to establish the correct pinion depth. this is not DIY stuff for your first rodeo, and i DIY pretty much everything.

nobody else that runs the 6MT is doing this in our sport at our level that i'm aware of. i'm still gonna run it when i double my power. you'll see how that turns out first hand, i'm sure ;)
I saw how you broke diff carrier bolts but not the diff ears on your aluminum setup. So, so far strong enough for what we put things through in autocross. Any idea if this part if different from the OEM S550 auto standard carrier and stronger?

Yeah, gonna have to search out a reputable shop to put this together once I get everything. Thanks for the info as always!