Reverse Lockout no longer works.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
Today I encountered a problem with the reverse locket. After a short Sunday ride I was at a light and moved the stick to what I thought was first gear, but realized it was in reverse. Lockout was gone, went through the gear pattern while at the light and was able to still get all the gears.
The drive home was not a problem....is this something I can to in the driveway without taking it to a dealer ???
Sponsored

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
OP
OP
LICobra

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
No I didn't do the recall, as I really didn't trust my local dealer to take my car apart.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
No I didn't do the recall, as I really didn't trust my local dealer to take my car apart.
Same exact reason I haven't done the shifter recall on my car. I do not trust a dealership to do it without screwing/damaging something.

I didn't have a garage until last month when i bought my house. Now I will fo this myself at home with my quickjacks and instead of going with OEM I'm going to do the second generation MGW.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
I can’t remember if my 350 had the plastic reverse collar lock out similar to the GT, these are known to break. It’s junk plastic glued into the boot trim. Upgrade to a billet maybe Steeda or Raceseng. Simple driveway job - watch the trim tabs.

OP
OP
LICobra

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I can’t remember if my 350 had the plastic reverse collar lock out similar to the GT, these are known to break. It’s junk plastic glued into the boot trim. Upgrade to a billet maybe Steeda or Raceseng. Simple driveway job - watch the trim tabs.
I've done some research and found on another thread another owner with the same exact issue, as he got his to work again..... the plastic collar must have moved, seems the Recall just changes the entire stock shifter. If the collar is not broken and just not is proper alignment I might try to adjust that for now then go with a new shifter down the road.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
On mine, after reversing, the lockout ring would not come back down correctly so it remained in position for the shifter to bypass 1st and go straight into R. The lockout ring would basically stay stuck at the upper position unless you pushed it back down yourself. Nothing was physically broken, just the spring wasn't working properly to push it back down.

I enjoyed the feel of the stock shifter but, after having the lockout issue off and on from literally the day I bought the car brand new, I went ahead and got an MGW. It's a little stiffer than I would prefer but I have gotten used to it and it is even more precise. Maybe the newer Gen 2 version is even better.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I have this problem too, although I dont think its as bad as yours. Mine is finicky, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

OP
OP
LICobra

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
On mine, after reversing, the lockout ring would not come back down correctly so it remained in position for the shifter to bypass 1st and go straight into R. The lockout ring would basically stay stuck at the upper position unless you pushed it back down yourself. Nothing was physically broken, just the spring wasn't working properly to push it back down.

I enjoyed the feel of the stock shifter but, after having the lockout issue off and on from literally the day I bought the car brand new, I went ahead and got an MGW. It's a little stiffer than I would prefer but I have gotten used to it and it is even more precise. Maybe the newer Gen 2 version is even better.
I really don't mind the stock shifter, as I'm not really looking to replace it with a short throw version, and since the recall is just replacing the shifter assembly with just another stock shifter, I am curious if anyone who had the shifter recall completed had any lock out issues with the new replacement ??

I'll check out the spring function when I take mine apart.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I really don't mind the stock shifter, as I'm not really looking to replace it with a short throw version, and since the recall is just replacing the shifter assembly with just another stock shifter, I am curious if anyone who had the shifter recall completed had any lock out issues with the new replacement ??

I'll check out the spring function when I take mine apart.
I’ll bet there are going to still be lockout issues after the recall. I say that because I’ve personally done everything that I can think of (except swapping clutches and trying to strengthen the MT82-D4 with internal mods) and still experienced it.

Mods I performed in an attempt to prevent lockout are as follows:

- Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter with stiff springs
- Steeda clutch spring
- Steeda adjustable polyurethane motor mounts
- Whiteline transmission bushing insert (later upgraded to Boomba Racing billet transmission mount with black (hard) bushings)
- Steeda Stop the Hop Kit

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I pointed out how poor this design was long ago in specific detail and it seemed to upset quite a few that responded with how wonderful they thought it was. I'll say it again - the GT350 deserved better.

DaveJP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Another option is to just buy and install one of the billett collars…Install looks fairly easy and I believe the one from Steeda will work on the 350.
Sponsored