Reverse lockout not always going down

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So brought the car in today because once I take the car out of reverse, it doesn't always slide down fully and when I go to first, I'm actually going to reverse. Almost slammed into a curb (I always back in) thinking I was going forward and it went into reverse. This was AFTER parking, getting out and going into a store.

Thank god I slammed on the brake fast enough to prevent hitting a 6" cement curb.

Anyways, the tech can't duplicate (of course not, not to any of his fault it happens rarely but does happen). Service Advisor starts with, "we noticed you have an aftermarket shift knob".... I HATE when people say this kind of crap. The shift knob has nothing to do with the lockout not sliding down fully. I know that, they know that. It slides nicely up and down, just sometimes it doesn't go fully down on it's own.

I'm heading down to pick it up shortly but wanted to see if anyone has heard of this before. Pretty sure I've seen this posted before on here.

The service advisor (really nice guy) says he has never heard of it.. most likely need to remove center console to lube it etc. However, not being able to duplicate it, can't really do anything.

I'm now very aware every time I go from reverse to first and insure I pay attention but it's somewhat unnerving as we shouldn't have to worry about this.

Thanks
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Wasnā€™t there a tech service bulletin or recall?
I know my new ā€˜19 was done, taken care of before I bought it.
Run this by the service department as they can easily look it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Wasnā€™t there a tech service bulletin or recall?
I know my new ā€˜19 was done taken care of before I bought it.
Run this by the service department as they can easily look it up.
I found the tsb. It references my exact issue but I've never done any harsh shifts (track time) that I would think could damage the shaft. The TSB covers vehicles 18 days after mine was built lol. Will still bring it up to the tech.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
So brought the car in today because once I take the car out of reverse, it doesn't always slide down fully and when I go to first, I'm actually going to reverse. Almost slammed into a curb (I always back in) thinking I was going forward and it went into reverse. This was AFTER parking, getting out and going into a store.

Thank god I slammed on the brake fast enough to prevent hitting a 6" cement curb.

Anyways, the tech can't duplicate (of course not, not to any of his fault it happens rarely but does happen). Service Advisor starts with, "we noticed you have an aftermarket shift knob".... I HATE when people say this kind of crap. The shift knob has nothing to do with the lockout not sliding down fully. I know that, they know that. It slides nicely up and down, just sometimes it doesn't go fully down on it's own.

I'm heading down to pick it up shortly but wanted to see if anyone has heard of this before. Pretty sure I've seen this posted before on here.

The service advisor (really nice guy) says he has never heard of it.. most likely need to remove center console to lube it etc. However, not being able to duplicate it, can't really do anything.

I'm now very aware every time I go from reverse to first and insure I pay attention but it's somewhat unnerving as we shouldn't have to worry about this.

Thanks
I have the same problem. There was a TSB for it but it was for 2019s, so its weird that problem still persists with 2020s. I originally thought it was just because of the cold weather (was winter when I first noticed it) but now it happens regularly, I just get into the habit of using my fingers to put down the lockout thing.

The first it happened it was weird, but I noticed that the backup camera automatically comes in when in reverse, so I use that as kinda like a fail safe.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My 2018 (late build) is covered by the referenced TSB. I occasionally have issues shifting into reverse; I am unable to physically get it into the reverse gear. I have to move the shifter several times before it engages. But it happens rarely enough that I see no reason to fix it. Also, if the problem worsens I am just going to replace the shifter myself. No way am I letting the dealership mess around with dropping the driveshaft and the transmission and tearing open the interior to perform the TSB.

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
MatthewR87 is spot on with that one. My car has been at the dealership for 20 days now for this TSB. Iā€™m having service center Remorse.
Sponsored