Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Hello, I’m new to this site but I have been a car guy for many decades and I need to jump in on this thread. In addition to being a car guy I have raced and restored cars including early Shelby’s. As we know high performance cars have historically brought their own issues to buyers.

1. First point is I’m sorry for all who have had a bad experience with a new GT350. This includes all aspects from minor to needing a complete engine replacement.

2. Letting owners document their experiences is a good thing in that the Shelby community would like to know what is going on. Keeping in mind even the owners don’t usually know what the full story is. This is true with most brands as already covered in this thread. I had a transmission replaced by another brand and it was treated exactly the way Ford is handling engine replacements. Dealers just remove and replace in most cases.

3. People passing good data from known experts is usually helpful but sometimes hard to validate early on in the process.

4. Any one speculating should do that off line. Speculating can be very harmful to the brand and even create problems for owners who choose to sell and unnecessarily push potential buyers to other brands. The other brands might actually have similar or greater failure rates.

5. Trying to put out statistics without fully stating they are just estimates and also included similar estimates from other brands may cause more harm than good. We already have seen this can cause a potential buyer or an existing owner to worry and that can affect car value.

My opinion:

1. If you are an owner that has had a problem with your GT350 keep us updated.

2. Be careful when posting statistics unless you have access to quantifiable data. Statistics must properly represent the full number of cars built.

3. While I believe most people are trying to help they may not realize that speculating about this problem and putting out higher failure percentages than what actually ends up being correct they may hurt the brand and costing owners on resale value.

4. For those of you who might disagree with my thoughts, remember at this time all we have are opinions and that is really my point. We will eventually know if Ford has to recall cars, if there is a class action law suit or if in the end the number of engines needing to be replaced is mainly cause by the manufacturing process or low oil being missed by users that normally drive cars that don’t use excessive (or even with in stated limits) of oil.

5. I sincerely hope this gets figured out. For now it looks like guys have already given a couple of good ideas. Check your oil often and don’t let an engine that has not been using oil give you confidence that it will never use oil. Then maybe consider an extended warrantee. I know this is a pain because it’s something I never do. But then these are high performance cars capable of running good lap times right after the break in period, so maybe they can’t be expected to fall in line with a mass produced commuter car.

2017 GT350 2600 miles, tracked, no oil use to this point.

Front Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I picked up the car today, they were stalling for multiple reasons, saying they needed to adjust something. I said if the car runs, I will take it. The CSA from ford customer service had called me the day before to tell me the car was at the body shop. After I picked up the car I learned why. I've added some shots of details from when I picked up the car. Overall feels like a very poor attention to detail and care. I pulled the connector for cylinder 5 coil and there was a pool of motor oil inside, unknown as to why. The car continuously smells like coolant, also haven't found out why.

There are missing clips, broken harness attachments, pooled fluids everywhere, what looks like stressed wires. I didn't take pictures of everything. However one big thing is the front bumper was completely damaged during the process. Anyway, here are some pictures. Enjoy.

Capture.PNG
87ith.PNG
dsfsdf.PNG
7ik6ujhy.PNG
9jkhhg.PNG
87ijkhy.PNG
89gjg.PNG
jhjjhfgj.PNG
What the h***!!!!!!

I would've lost my mind!!!!!

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '68 Firebird, '17 Raptor, '18 Macan GTS
Well, I got a call back from Ford today and they agreed to buy back my car. Working out the details next week. That was relatively easy ... so far. I am really bummed about the whole thing. I really loved the car. There are faster cars and more sophisticated cars but nothing out there with as much character and swagger as the GT350. I'm still a Ford fan. I love the mustangs. My last Raptor had 125k really hard miles before I had one single issue. My '12 GT500 was a rock. My 2nd gen Raptor has been more of a problem child at 20k miles. ... crossing my fingers the new GT500 will be a better car for all the Ford performance fans.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
ex_q60_w1152_h_Black-Friday-Slider_v5_copy.jpg

Hey guys just wanted to let everyone know if you need an engine we have a black Friday sale for any assembled shortblock in stock gets 1000$ off existing price. We will also have 200$ off any set of assembled heads in stock. Ford Modular/Coyote 32 Valve Cylinder Heads Customer Supplied Cores, our 5-axis CNC (intake and exhaust), CNC Valve job, Install New Livernois Springs and Valve seals. $1,299.99 All other additional parts will be a separate charge. Call me at 313-561-5500 ext 126 my name is Jake.

ex_q80_w400_h_P04_LPP750105_main1.jpg
ex_q80_w400_h_CoyoteHeads.jpg

Again? Jesus dude. First my thread, now the blown engine thread? Mods - can we block this guy?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well, I got a call back from Ford today and they agreed to buy back my car. Working out the details next week. That was relatively easy ... so far. I am really bummed about the whole thing. I really loved the car. There are faster cars and more sophisticated cars but nothing out there with as much character and swagger as the GT350. I'm still a Ford fan. I love the mustangs. My last Raptor had 125k really hard miles before I had one single issue. My '12 GT500 was a rock. My 2nd gen Raptor has been more of a problem child at 20k miles. ... crossing my fingers the new GT500 will be a better car for all the Ford performance fans.
Sid, that is a good thing. However it is a lengthily process, but you will be whole again. The question is, what are you going to buy with the money?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I guess that's good news. Without getting crazy into the details, what do they generally pay you when doing a buy back? ie, full purchase price? depreciated price? What about expensive add-ons like clear bra that may have been done?

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sid, that is a good thing. However it is a lengthily process, but you will be whole again. The question is, what are you going to buy with the money?
I figured it would be a process. What next? Good question. If I look at the list without the threat of another failing engine as a possibility I would pick the GT350R. Waiting for the specs on the GT500. ZL1-1LE looks entertaining but I have never had a GM car I liked. I'm going to hang a bit and see what is coming down the pipe but I may go back where I started with the Germans. Pick up a used 991.2 of some flavor.

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess that's good news. Without getting crazy into the details, what do they generally pay you when doing a buy back? ie, full purchase price? depreciated price? What about expensive add-ons like clear bra that may have been done?
I have the same questions. That I will find out next week.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Ok. Good luck. Report back.
And a nice 991 is always a good choice.

Last edited:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I figured it would be a process. What next? Good question. If I look at the list without the threat of another failing engine as a possibility I would pick the GT350R. Waiting for the specs on the GT500. ZL1-1LE looks entertaining but I have never had a GM car I liked. I'm going to hang a bit and see what is coming down the pipe but I may go back where I started with the Germans. Pick up a used 991.2 of some flavor.
The ZL1-1LE is very entertaining to say the least. I am not a fan of the big wing. It slows down the car at top end.