Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
What are they doing about the clutch during engine replacement. I am assuming they will reuse your flywheel so they dont have to replace the whole clutch assembly. Kind of annoying to have a new engine and a clutch with 19k miles on it. If I buy a clutch assembly the dealership will put it in w/o labor charges which is nice. The service manager also said if I brought an aftermarket clutch such as a McLeod they would put that in.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's that pic
Screenshot_2018-09-20-10-27-10.png
Damn, why did ford cancel the warranty, was it modified ? This kind of stuff scares me, my service manager said I was lucky AF that i didn't tune or otherwise modify the engine b/c ford would have canceled the power train warranty.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
What are they doing about the clutch during engine replacement. I am assuming they will reuse your flywheel so they dont have to replace the whole clutch assembly. Kind of annoying to have a new engine and a clutch with 19k miles on it. If I buy a clutch assembly the dealership will put it in w/o labor charges which is nice. The service manager also said if I brought an aftermarket clutch such as a McLeod they would put that in.
Why do you need aftermarket clutch? (I'm asking, not being sarcastic.)

Damn, why did ford cancel the warranty, was it modified ? This kind of stuff scares me, my service manager said I was lucky AF that i didn't tune or otherwise modify the engine b/c ford would have canceled the power train warranty.
This wasn't my car/issue, but i seem to recall that this engine was modified and tracked so they wouldn't warranty it. the owner then tore it down on his own and found this to be the blame. As i recall, he was then going to circle back to Ford and go after them to pay his costs since clearly this is not the result of ANYTHING he did.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Ford Service manual procedure is to pull the engine from the top. Like @Tomster said, It can be done either way. As when the vehicles are assembled the engine/trans is put into the vehicle from underneath as an assembly on the subframe. Some techs would prefer to do it from below. We did one at my dealership and we did it from below. Seems like less risk of damage to the paint that way as you are working from underneath and essentially using the lift to raise the body up out of the way off the front structure, and not maneuvering a swinging object and leaning on fenders. Also with the method in the service manual of from the top, the hood has to come off.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't understand why you would want to replace the clutch with so few miles on the car. I'd save the money for tires or brakes that will actually wear out very soon.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't understand why you would want to replace the clutch with so few miles on the car. I'd save the money for tires or brakes that will actually wear out very soon.
Did I read 19k miles? I would seriously consider a new clutch, in fact, it's a no brainer if they will install it for free.

On another note, make sure the tech does a crank relearn when they are finished. Otherwise, it will be right back in the shop in short order. It is commonly ommited when an engine is replaced.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So since the new motor came with a flywheel installed I am making the argument that A Worn clutch disc and pressure plate should not be installed on a new flywheel. I'm going to try to use that to get Ford to warranty the clutch out as part of the job. They're going to submit it. We will see what they say. There is another car in the shop right now that is having a McLeod clutch installed for some reason. Surprised the dealer is agreeing to install it but they are.

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Recently there was photos of a bad o ring at the pickup. In that case, it was the cause of the oil starved engine.
Here's that pic
I did look up the design yesterday and that coupling was troubling for me. It's a composite with a rubber grommet. I'm no engineer, so all I can do is talk about something I know nothing about, but this looks like a risky decision. With head or vibration, you could have funny things happening at that junction, especially at 8k rpm. MMR has a solid pickup tube they offer you can use with their oil pans or standard GT oil pan. (not sure if I can post link) Problem is 2-fold however. We aren't certain this is an issue with the design yet and if you open the oil pan you have voided warranty. :-\

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you can get it for free more power to you.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I did look up the design yesterday and that coupling was troubling for me. It's a composite with a rubber grommet. I'm no engineer, so all I can do is talk about something I know nothing about, but this looks like a risky decision. With head or vibration, you could have funny things happening at that junction, especially at 8k rpm. MMR has a solid pickup tube they offer you can use with their oil pans or standard GT oil pan. (not sure if I can post link) Problem is 2-fold however. We aren't certain this is an issue with the design yet and if you open the oil pan you have voided warranty. :-\
You realize that Ford engineers already tested the crap out of it, right?

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This is the part number that showed up for me.

HR3Z-6006-A
you show
HR3Z-6006-B

Anyone here have detailed parts access and know the difference? I can see from cursory look this B number is a thousand dollars more. I'm almost convinced mine did not have attached flywheel.
enginepartnumber.PNG

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
You realize that Ford engineers already tested the crap out of it, right?
Hack, I understand your point, but I don't believe that control really exists. That we can reasonably rely on that assumption as absolute proof that this cannot fail. Maybe the o-ring supplier changed in between, maybe they didn't get "all" of the testing they needed. Engineering mistakes happen and I'm not upset at that, its part of the job, every decision is not always perfect, even after testing. For me it's more about finding out the root cause, and having Ford address it, for the sake of all of us. Even if they don't address it, we can have the aftermarket solve it when we are out of warranty.

Ford did a good thing with this car, bold, road racing mustang that departs from a lot of what was traditionally expected. We all went out there to front of the line to support this, now we are facing what could potentially be an engineering issue and for the sake of us and the car itself, needs to be fixed. I would hate for this mustang to be just known as the one that "blows motors". We'll see.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did I read 19k miles? I would seriously consider a new clutch, in fact, it's a no brainer if they will install it for free.

On another note, make sure the tech does a crank relearn when they are finished. Otherwise, it will be right back in the shop in short order. It is commonly ommited when an engine is replaced.

So could you comment on the crank relearn I'm not really familiar with that. I will look it up but I'm going to have to talk to my service manager. Any input appreciated. Thank you.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the part number that showed up for me.

HR3Z-6006-A
you show
HR3Z-6006-B

Anyone here have detailed parts access and know the difference? I can see from cursory look this B number is a thousand dollars more. I'm almost convinced mine did not have attached flywheel.
enginepartnumber.PNG

I have been told by multiple people that this is a new not remanufactured engine. This one comes with the canister style filter. Which type of filter did your engine come with? Maybe that and the flywheel is the difference.