Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I would buy that block and tip the tech a few hundred to take care of it. Sell it to me if you decide you don't want it.
It wouldn’t be up to the tech. He’d have to get the ok from the service manager/warranty administrator and it would take some time for the claim to be paid. If it was simply going to be returned to ford with all the other cores the dealership parts dept hold onto he could probably buy it. My guess is they will call it back tho in which case he’d be out of luck because ford would bounce the claim if they didn’t get it back, assuming they want it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It wouldn’t be up to the tech. He’d have to get the ok from the service manager/warranty administrator and it would take some time for the claim to be paid. If it was simply going to be returned to ford with all the other cores the dealership parts dept hold onto he could probably buy it. My guess is they will call it back tho in which case he’d be out of luck because ford would bounce the claim if they didn’t get it back, assuming they want it.
I meant tip the tech so that upon removal it wasn't treated like a piece of scrap.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I meant tip the tech so that upon removal it wasn't treated like a piece of scrap.
I’m not exactly sure what you mean. There’s no way it will be treated like scrap and/or thrown away. If you mean tip him so he treats it nicely, well you could do that but there’s no guarantee it will help with being able to purchase it. It will either be returned to ford as a core with everything else that has core value (starters, alt, wheels, calipers, etc) or called back for warranty analysis. If you have interest in buying it or if he wants it, best bet is to follow what I posted previously and let service manager know that you want to buy it, and they probably won’t have a problem with it if it’s just going back as a core. If ford wants it back for analysis it would be unlikely that one could buy it because if they ask for it back and don’t get it they will bounce the claim and the dealer would be on the hook for the total repair. I hope that helps. Definately worth a shot considering the situation. In either case all the dealer really cares about us getting paid for the repair, and reimbursement for the core value.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No sense in going back and forth, so...... OK

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I tried that with a scratched rim and the dealer told me they couldn't sell it to me. Ford needs the part back so they have proof that there actually was a scratched rim was the dealer's story. The engine has to be worth a lot more to Ford, so I'd be really surprised if they would let you buy it.

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I also attempted core buyback for the engine. The CSR for Ford told me to talk to SA at dealer, then SA told me reverse. They both came back and said it was not possible as the core was required to go back to Ford if it's warranty claim. Sounds reasonable, but I'm skeptical they are even looking.

Along the same lines, what have people here been offered in terms of extended warranty? What other things you negotiated? I feel getting a new engine as the only thing they are doing, still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I asked for a small "loss of value" compensation and CSR said they have no provision for that. I'm also skeptical these people are dis-empowered or not willing to go extra mile.

This whole thing feels so disappointing to me, went to check on the car today and its covered in piles of dust at the dealer, I see scratches in the engine bay from the motor swinging on the cheery picker. :-\

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I also attempted core buyback for the engine. The CSR for Ford told me to talk to SA at dealer, then SA told me reverse. They both came back and said it was not possible as the core was required to go back to Ford if it's warranty claim. Sounds reasonable, but I'm skeptical they are even looking.

Along the same lines, what have people here been offered in terms of extended warranty? What other things you negotiated? I feel getting a new engine as the only thing they are doing, still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I asked for a small "loss of value" compensation and CSR said they have no provision for that. I'm also skeptical these people are dis-empowered or not willing to go extra mile.

This whole thing feels so disappointing to me, went to check on the car today and its covered in piles of dust at the dealer, I see scratches in the engine bay from the motor swinging on the cheery picker. :-\

I tried to get them to throw a clutch replacement. Doesn't sound like they're going to do it. They are offering up a warranty Ford premium care 5 year 75000 mile. It runs concurrently with the current warranty though not on the backside of it. For my car in mileage and has a market value of about $7,000. Sure cost Ford less but that's something I guess

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I told the service manager at the dealership I want to inspect the car after they take the engine out. I'm not going to be okay with any damage to the inside of the engine bay they're going to have to fix anything they damaged.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know if the Ford service manual says the engine is supposed to come with an engine Crane or be dropped out the bottom?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know if the Ford service manual says the engine is supposed to come with an engine Crane or be dropped out the bottom?
I don't know what the manual says, but I've seen the engine swap done both ways.

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fred Flintstone, two leg power
You can buy the Ford factory manual here: https://www.factory-manuals.com/ford-mustang&28&160 Make sure to get the Deluxe Edition which has the hyperlinks. The non-Deluxe Edition does not have the hyperlinks and will drive you crazy. I use this website for all my cars. Works great.

Deluxe Edition: "DeLuxe Edition contain the same manual, but is full operational with hyperlinks (Interactive pdf), bookmarks detailed on three steps and also have the connector details."

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I told the service manager at the dealership I want to inspect the car after they take the engine out. I'm not going to be okay with any damage to the inside of the engine bay they're going to have to fix anything they damaged.
I agree with your statement, but really, there's nothing that can be reasonably done after the fact. touch-up paint will never look factory. You would have to repaint the engine bay again. I don't want to judge the tech either, it's really an inevitability of a big job like this done the way they did. Things can get banged up here or there. It's just a sad expectation for what is a brand-new car to me.

I don't know what the manual says, but the "clean" way to do it is from the bottom. However, it's trickier because they have to touch other things they wouldn't otherwise, brakes, suspension, interior. It was tough for me when I talked to the tech and he explained he would do it from the top. From my perspective, the inspection is easier, because the engine is isolated, less things to fkup. However, there was susceptibility to bumps and scratches which are now apparent.

The tech explained, the book doesn't give them nearly enough time to complete the job. If you are picky like me, there's no winning scenario. I should have my car in the next couple of days, I will rack it at my shop and let you know what I can observe. I also have some mods I have to install, so I'll be taking driveshaft and shifter off, I'll spend some time scrutinizing.

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Have any of you inspected the oil pan carefully, I've read recently that it has an integrated oil pickup. I would like to know how it "seals" with the engine, o-ring or what?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Have any of you inspected the oil pan carefully, I've read recently that it has an integrated oil pickup. I would like to know how it "seals" with the engine, o-ring or what?
Recently there was photos of a bad o ring at the pickup. In that case, it was the cause of the oil starved engine.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Here's that pic
Screenshot_2018-09-20-10-27-10.png