Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
After more research, it may be related to whether or not it has an oil cooler. I don't remember looking carefully, but perhaps there are fittings for the cooler on one and not the other. That being said, by 2017, all GT350s had the coolers, right? :-\ We'll find out eventually, but probably something silly like that being the difference.
All GT350's have come equipped with oil coolers since inception.

HR3Z 6006 A is GT350R engine tag HA555A from 1/24/17

HR3Z 6006 B is GT350 but that number has recently changed to the new level KR3Z 6006 B. Perhaps @Epiphany has better insight into the differences, if any between R and non R.... but for whatever reason, Ford parts catalog does have different part numbers listed. It could be any number of reasons why.

There is NO reman yet for these. They are NEW

As you know, Ford seems to complicate the system far more than necessary. In this regard, it is difficult to gain clarity. The part listing says one thing and the engineers that designed something contradict it.

I have mentioned it previously but I was lucky enough to have had the opportunity to attend the Voodoo "reveal" at SVT/Roush headquarters in Michigan along with a dozen or so automotive related journalists. The engineers there answered every question I had. So when Ford Racing listed a chain in their catalog as being GT350R specific but that would fit the standard GT350 or other Coyote engines, a red flag went up immediately. I felt funny correcting Ford Racing but they were in error. They subsequently changed the listing on the chain. Recently however, something surfaced that I struggled with.

Steve Turner of FordNXT said:
A little something we learned during this process is that the R-model Voodoo engines receive unique lash adjusters, VCT mechanisms and cam covers, and these engines carry code 151.
I worked with Steve on a few GT350 related stories including that of the reveal when the engine was first introduced to the press. He is as knowledgeable as can be in this regard and is vigilant about accuracy. In other words, I take what he says above to be without question, correct. The differences in the above parts (and ultimately the assemblies) may be minor but apparently they legitimately exist.

https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-storie...ms-build-the-shelby-gt350s-voodoo-5-2-engine/

This was not our understanding when the engine was announced.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks what version is it ? If I'm not mistaken the updated the design
Yes, I believe it is. It was ordered one year ago. I never got around to install it, but I have plans to do so down the road. Check with @Epiphany when the new version was released, but I don't think it was close.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
So could you comment on the crank relearn I'm not really familiar with that. I will look it up but I'm going to have to talk to my service manager. Any input appreciated. Thank you.
Just kindly remind them to do it, or you’ll drive maybe a mile with your new heart and freak out lol. If you have a tuning gauge you can scan for the codes before you ever take off.

My dealer made it a point to give my car back every time with a CEL, so my ngauge came in very handy. Once they forgot to plug in the back of the intake, 2 little clip-on plugs. And the next time was the crank relearn...i probably could’ve done it in the parking lot, but was so mad i just threw my keys back in the drop box as i was done at that point lol.

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
All GT350's have come equipped with oil coolers since inception.
The differences in the above parts (and ultimately the assemblies) may be minor but apparently they legitimately exist.
Thanks for the clarification, did you or Steve ever get an understanding of why ford would have this change?

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Here is my paperwork from an engine replacement months ago. Curious as the top part says HR3Z 6006 A but when you read down it shows 6007A34 Remanufactured Engine/OEM Long Block. I have an R.

HR3Z.jpg
A34.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Thanks for the clarification, did you or Steve ever get an understanding of why ford would have this change?
I'll talk to him again sooner or later and when I do I'll ask for any further detail. Steve is a great guy and I'm sure if he can offer something of value, he will.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Racing. The lash adjusters are available from Ford Racing #M-6500-M50R and the VCT phasers are #M-6004-A50R

The lash adjusters have a built in oil reservoir and the phasers have a reduced leakage rate.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
... but when you read down it shows 6007A34 Remanufactured Engine/OEM Long Block. I have an R.

HR3Z.jpg
A34.jpg
That's probably the labor portion of the warranty work/claim. These engines are with almost absolute certainty not rebuildable in the traditional meaning. There just isn't enough bore material for even a hone. You would have to bore out the cylinders entirely and install wet sleeves.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
That's probably the labor portion of the warranty work/claim. These engines are with almost absolute certainty not rebuildable in the traditional meaning. There just isn't enough bore material for even a hone. You would have to bore out the cylinders entirely and install wet sleeves.
Thanks for the reply. It looks like a part number but I could be wrong. I have a great relationship with my service manager. They are going to check into it. Not that it really matters or I can do much about it :). Car is under warranty and running great again.

AdamMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've been following this thread for awhile, decided to make a profile. Thank you all for your knowledge its been extremely helpful! My 2017 GT350 didnt start consuming oil until roughly 18,000 miles! Yes, I daily drive it... ALOT, I love driving it. The majority of my driving is highway at 75-80MPH, but I never turn down a race if someone wants one. That said, I definitely have never beat on it but do have a good time on occasion. Actually just changed my rear tires are 22,000.
My story, Checked my oil levels religiously first 15,000 or so, never saw any consumption, thought I was out of the dark! Then somewhere around 18,000 (after a oil change at around 16,000) Zero oil on the dipstick. Brought it to the dealer, (service is great, techs are terrible) got an oil change went back to checking my oil every fill up or every 3 days. 18,000 - 20,000 = 1 quart ( I can live with that ) 20,000-21,000= 1 quart 21,000-22,400= 2 quarts .. a trend is setting. Currently in the oil consumption testing phase. I will fill you in on what happens next.

I wanted to share my story because I have read of many people thinking their engines are good to go! As was mine, then one day... the narrative changed.

Anyone notice if the engine swap went on their carfax?

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
I've been following this thread for awhile, decided to make a profile. Thank you all for your knowledge its been extremely helpful! My 2017 GT350 didnt start consuming oil until roughly 18,000 miles! Yes, I daily drive it... ALOT, I love driving it. The majority of my driving is highway at 75-80MPH, but I never turn down a race if someone wants one. That said, I definitely have never beat on it but do have a good time on occasion. Actually just changed my rear tires are 22,000.
My story, Checked my oil levels religiously first 15,000 or so, never saw any consumption, thought I was out of the dark! Then somewhere around 18,000 (after a oil change at around 16,000) Zero oil on the dipstick. Brought it to the dealer, (service is great, techs are terrible) got an oil change went back to checking my oil every fill up or every 3 days. 18,000 - 20,000 = 1 quart ( I can live with that ) 20,000-21,000= 1 quart 21,000-22,400= 2 quarts .. a trend is setting. Currently in the oil consumption testing phase. I will fill you in on what happens next.

I wanted to share my story because I have read of many people thinking their engines are good to go! As was mine, then one day... the narrative changed.

Anyone notice if the engine swap went on their carfax?
This kind of story scares me more than the ones that happen in the sub-5000 mile range. You would hope at some point you would be able to go, as you thought, "well I must be in the clear" but eventually, some owners are going to have this happen outside of the drivetrain warranty and it is going to be super fucked.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
This kind of story scares me more than the ones that happen in the sub-5000 mile range. You would hope at some point you would be able to go, as you thought, "well I must be in the clear" but eventually, some owners are going to have this happen outside of the drivetrain warranty and it is going to be super fucked.

To be precise. You'll be fuked to the tune of approximately $25,000 out of pocket. If that happens just fill it up with oil and take her to CarMax

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
sadly I agree with you. I mean replacing a coyote is a joke compared to the voodoo.

Also if you want to know a OEM clutch replacement at the Ford dealership in this car costs $3,000