Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Anyone getting increased noise with the heavier fluid? I changed mine out to the 75-140 and now the rear is really noisy at parking lot speeds.
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Noisy in what way? I'd think that if anything, the heavier viscosity oil would stick to the gearing better and provide somewhat better damping.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I didnt notice any change in noise. (Redline gear oil 75w140)

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
It literally sounds like a bad wheel bearing at parking lot speeds while turning. I'm gonna re-check fluid level and go from there. Once its warmed up, I've got no noise whatsoever.

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Sorry to report but I still got the Axle over temp warning during a 25 minute session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway today using 75w140. Ambient temps were in the low 80's. A differential cooler setup is mandatory if you plan on doing any serious track work.
Steve

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Sorry to report but I still got the Axle over temp warning during a 25 minute session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway today using 75w140. Ambient temps were in the low 80's. A differential cooler setup is mandatory if you plan on doing any serious track work.
Steve
STFU. I'm picking up my GT tomorrow morning. Howabout wrapped exhaust and a silly scoop ala Boss 302 trans cooler?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Steve
STFU. I'm picking up my GT tomorrow morning. Howabout wrapped exhaust and a silly scoop ala Boss 302 trans cooler?
Just remember, 2015's didn't have a sensor. It's the only difference. Oh and we are getting close on our cooler.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Steve
That is bad news for those hoping for a quick fix, I was thinking that might be the case if you ran hard over 20min.

I am working on a simple solution to address the airflow around the diff when I build the undertray for the car. I am hoping with a couple of NACA ducts and with proper ducting in place that I can keep the diff happy, but it will likely take an aux cooler and pump setup to truly solve the problem. The heat load should really not be that high as long as we can sink away a little bit of the heat temps should be manageable.

I have not run at Indy Motor Speedway, what was your top speed there?

Dave

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Testing my home made cooler this weekend during the Chin happy hour end of day session. I have a temp controller set to come on at 90 deg C (195 deg F) at which point the pump starts to circulate the oil. I'm running 75w-85 oil.

Will let you know how hot the oil gets, my temp controller monitors diff temps full time.
IMG_5607.jpg

pstoppani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I have not run at Indy Motor Speedway, what was your top speed there?
It would be useful to have a summary of "track, ambient temp, top speed, tires" for those that experience the high temps.

My guess is that the overheating comes from a combinations of top speed and tire slippage due to low grip tires; both greatly increase the temps in the diff.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
It would be useful to have a summary of "track, ambient temp, top speed, tires" for those that experience the high temps.

My guess is that the overheating comes from a combinations of top speed and tire slippage due to low grip tires; both greatly increase the temps in the diff.
Input speed from pinion overheats the bearing. Why is shows up immediately on 3.73 cars and [MENTION=22207]steveespo[/MENTION] with 3.55's (I think) run's a lot of high speed tracks.

This is honestly making me think about adding a nozzle inside the cover to flood the bearing with cool oil as it returns from our cooler. We have done this before on the industrial side to eliminate failures, focus oil to critical load points when splash lubrication was not cutting it.
Oil Nozzle.jpg

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
We've added a couple one time use temperature strips to our site. Two ranges, one is the industry standard Caliper Tape from Alcon and the other one is more for under-chassis temperature monitoring.

Alcon 250-536F STRIPS
OMEGA 250-320F STRIPS

The Alcon has a wider range but the OMEGA has a more focused temperature window.

It's a relative cheap and easy way to get a fairly accurate ball park on Transmission Temp and Rear Axle Temps.

They simply indicate peak tempertures so you want to check them as soon as you pull off track so you do not read 'heat soak' temps.
Temp Label Omega.jpg
Temp Label Alcon.jpg

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Had an opportunity to drive on the German Autobahn all out (between 120 mph and 160 mph) today in temperatures around 85ÂşF for an hour and I did not see any warning light come on. I guess there is enough air moving under the car to keep it cool even after my hour run I was stuck in traffic for a bit. The inlet air temp did shoot up to over 110ÂşF.

Last edited:

pstoppani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I drove mine for the first time (900 miles on the odometer :) at The Ridge Motorsport Park in Shelton WA. Hit the warning every session except first, with diff temp hitting 318F at the end of each 20 minute session! This in 64F ambient! Ouch, that is HOT!

Car is stock except for camber plates, G-Loc 12/10 pads and RE71 265s on 19" wheels.

Drove pretty hard (1:57's). I tried with traction control "off" and AdvanceTrac off. No difference. I did notice that in both modes there was still driver assist when the car goes a bit sideways; I was under the impression all driver aids were off when AdvanceTrac is off?!?

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
These cars have both stability control (sport/track modes) and traction control. On a premium car with the toggle switches you have a mode toggle (stability) and a traction control toggle. You have to hold down the traction control toggle for like 6 seconds, and you get the AdvanceTrac off message. Thats how you entirely disable both TC and SC.

Sport/Track mode still have TC enabled, its just the limits are higher for SC. If you slide enough in track mode it will still try to catch you unless you disable eeerything. If you just tap the advancetrac button w/ holding it I think it just turns off traction control (wheelspin).

Having both off may help diff temps, bu I dont think its proven, just a theory to try to explain why some cars see the warning and some do not.

Maybe change your diff oil after a couple thousand miles (after the diff is well broken in) and see if it changes?
Sponsored