Sponsored

"Rear Axle Differential Temp Increased, Decrease Speed" warning

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In about a week I'm going to try to see if I can turn on a Axle temp display on my GT with the Forscan windows app and an ODBLink MX. Cross your fingers!
Sponsored

Matt P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
By "turn on a axle temp display", do you mean to actually display on the card info monitor or on a secondary display like a phone or tablet? Forscan works on my phone with my cheep OBD2 Bluetooth dongle to display diff temp. But if you can get it to display on the cars built in info monitor screen that would be fantastic!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In the center gauge info screen. Glad to hear you can at least view it on the phone.

There's a thread in the GT350 section on using Forscan on PC to edit a configuration file to turn on this type of thing, or reconfigure some of the minor accessory functions of the car unrelated to engine tuning.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Nightmare is talking about the full version of forscan, not lite. Check the DIY section of the forum for the thread. Embedded within that thread is the link to the GT350 thread (now a sticky in the GT350 section). In the GT350 thread, one of the owners has already taken a tech package car and changed the coding for a track package car so the center display show the rear diff temp and the transmission temp. I'm hoping we 16+ GT PP owners can do the same for the rear diff and a quantified number for oil temp.

You do need a OBD II dongle that reads MS-CAN and HS-CAN. I think the cheapest anyone has found so far is $80

Last edited:

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Thanks to this thread, I changed my diff oil to 75W140, and wrapped my exhaust on either side of the diff. Hopefully the wrap is still on there come Saturday, which is my first track day.
20160821_170921[1].jpg

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Are you guys swapping back to the regular gear oil after you track ?

At least those who DD the track car

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I leave mine in. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but that is another I went with 75w110 over 75w140. I don't dd mine, but I do drive it a couple days a week.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
In spite of the manual recommendation, I plan to leave mine in too. I mean, 12,000 miles with the original oil, then new oil, then a couple hours on the track, and then wait a long time until the next change. I should be fine.

I was surprised at how thin the gear oil seemed. I haven't messed with gear oil for many years, and I thought it was thicker. But maybe that is just the 75W component working at ambient temperature.

I noticed another two-part feature of the oil. Most was pretty clear/clean, but some was dark thick sludge. No particles.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
EXP_Jawa, we need your expertise here ⌂

Sponsored

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I keep mine in. It's my daily and I don't have any worries about it. Kinda of expensive to change it out after every track event. I do plan on going back to normal weight fluid end of track season. I have more of a concern for the engine oil weight (from another thread). Went with 0w-40 for track events and the oil pressure is up when the engine is cold. I will see what the weather temps are end of Sept then decide when to go back to 5w-30.

(not an expert on this)

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Thanks to this thread, I changed my diff oil to 75W140, and wrapped my exhaust on either side of the diff. Hopefully the wrap is still on there come Saturday, which is my first track day.
Interested in your results. Don't have time right now to go back through this thread. Did you have the temp warning light?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Interested in your results. Don't have time right now to go back through this thread. Did you have the temp warning light?
No, my non-PP 2016 GT does NOT have the temp sensor, which is precisely why I am taking the preventative approach.

If I am in the spirit on Saturday, I may see if I can crawl under the car (w/o stands) and put my K-type temp probe onto the diff case after some laps. Otherwise, those temp sticker dots that I referred to would be more convenient.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In about a week I'm going to try to see if I can turn on a Axle temp display on my GT with the Forscan windows app and an ODBLink MX. Cross your fingers!
No Dice.

I tried most every value for those settings and could only ever get a "Trans Oil" temp gauge to show up (and it seemed stuck at '59 degrees). None of the GT350 values would turn on the rear diff sensor in my car. I also tried other bits for that 720-06-01 field in the hopes I might stumble on it, with no luck.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for trying anyways. My rear diff sensor has been "hung" at 140 degrees on my nGauge the last week or so. I haven't tried forscan lite yet to see if it is hung in the sensor/computer or possibly in the ngauge.
Sponsored