Sponsored

R owners... should i keep original tires?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
For my 2 R models, I have spare CF wheels on the vehicles for use. The original OEM wheels and tires are being stored.

I have a few questions pertaining to the tires that are original to the car.

First, does anyone think that there is any colletor benefit to have the original tires on the wheels as they were delivered? Removing the tires would free up valuable storage space. On the other hand, I dont plan to sell the cars and maybe the original tires on the wheels my have more collectability to whoever inherits the cars.

Second, tires do age. I recall reading that tires these days are good for at least 10 years if stored properly. However, what good is a tire that is beyond its useful age if it is no longer functional as it was designed?

Who knows, maybe sport cup 2s won't be around in 20 years. The tire is an integral part of the car. But then again, what good are they if they are too old to use?

I am a firm believer in driving the car. I do as much as I can. Although the wheels are completely repairable (as I have learned), I still have used my resources and know how to use spare CF wheels to enjoy the car as designed.

Tires are tires. Are they worth preserving?
Sponsored

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
IMO, original tires mostly matter to collectors who do not intend on driving the vehicle. I'm at 4.1k miles and I don't plan on keeping the original tires when I replace them. I also don't have a spare set of wheels.

Sure, it's nice to know that you have them for collectability, but ask yourself this:

If you were buying an R 5-10 years down the line, would it make or break a deal if it had or didn't have the original tires?

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
I also collect 03/04 Cobras and the original rubber bring big bucks. Goodyear, the OE manufacturer no longer produces tires in the size originally found on the Cobra. IMO I would certainly hold onto the date coded tires. One day guys will want them to put on their Rs at car shows

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I also collect 03/04 Cobras and the original rubber bring big bucks. Goodyear, the OE manufacturer no longer produces tires in the size originally found on the Cobra. IMO I would certainly hold onto the date coded tires. One day guys will want them to put on their Rs at car shows
If you do this, I would dismount the tires from the wheels and individually bag them in heavy-duty, black plastic contractor bags and pull a vacuum on the bag before sealing. That should keep dry rot at bay for many years. Keep away from any sources of ozone (e.g., electric motors).

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
R compound tires - I always thought that 2-3 years sitting results in hardening, even stored inside.
My fingernail test on a 2018 vs 2020 date coded SC2 says one is "softer" than the other. Maybe that's just the outer surface and they could come back in a heat cycle but IDK..

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I was watching a restorer show just this past week. Someone had the original tires on his car that he was letting go. He still drove the car but not much.
THE CAR WAS 50 YEARS OLD!!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes, yes and YES.

Been in this hobby for over 30+ years now - if youā€™re into it as deep as I am, youā€™ll know the following:

1) How difficult it is to find ā€œNOSā€ OEM parts - yes, tires too.

2) How difficult it is to find DATE coded, DATE stamped and Period correct parts - yes, tires too.

3) 20-30 years into the future how much someone will want for even an aged tire or set of tires that match the above criteria.

4) How difficult it is to find ā€œXā€ tire after the Tire Manufacturer discontinues that specific model/type of tire, replaces it with another model/type w/different tread/sidewall type OR trashes the original molds that could have been used to make future replicas.

If anyone has an S550 ā€œRā€ model and is holding on to it long term, store the original tires even if they take up roomā€¦

Iā€™m sure some will be like ā€œf-thatā€, or will be posting itā€™s stupid to keep original tires, or itā€™s no big deal tires are tiresā€¦. Nope, trust me when I say it now - KEEP THEM.

Youā€™d be surprised at what original tires go for when needed for period correct restorations OR if the vehcile is entered into future higher level Car Show judging.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
R compound tires - I always thought that 2-3 years sitting results in hardening, even stored inside.
My fingernail test on a 2018 vs 2020 date coded SC2 says one is "softer" than the other. Maybe that's just the outer surface and they could come back in a heat cycle but IDK..
Performance will definitely degrade. What you want, in this case, is a tire that can hold pressure, look good and not cracked or dried out, and safely move a car on/off a trailer and around a lot.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
I had a mint low mile Buick GNX... the original BF Goodrich tires turned into plastic with flat spots after 30yrs and were useless EXCEPT for the fact that they were available with the car when I sold it and that added to the value. So like Cobra Jet said, if you can keep'm...keep'm.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
all great advice...... i will take the advice and have the tires dismounted for proper storage.

Thanks all.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
We will all be pissed off in 20 years when we learn we had to stash 4 huge tires for 2 decades in order to make an extra $1000 :)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
We will all be pissed off in 20 years when we learn we had to stash 4 huge tires for 2 decades in order to make an extra $1000 :)
Nope. Not about the $$. More about keeping the car original in the decades to come.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Tom we all know if someone is going to do this it'll be you, so you're practically obligated to.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
In 20 years itā€™ll be hard to get gas for an ICE vehicle anyhow, tires and all.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
They will crack if you mount them after enough time. I bought 2 pairs of used pzero corsa F tires , one pair made in 2018 one made in 2016. The 2016 sidewalls cracked when I mounted them on my rims.

PaWRktX.jpg

T5FKQwl.jpg

They still work fine but its kind of sketchy and I will be buying ~3 yr old tires at max from now on. Definitely would never put even properly stored 7+ year tires on a vehicle imo.

You know how Paul Walker died right? His Carerra GT had super old original OEM tires and they hardened up leading to the vehicles total destruction and he and his friends death.

In other words, use them while they are good I think they would just be a hazard if you keep them and remount them years from now.
Sponsored

Last edited: