Sponsored

R owners... should i keep original tires?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
You've already made up your mind, but here's another vote for keeping them.

Have you seen what period Good Year Polyglas tires go for with respect to a proper '69-'70 Boss 302 or 429? It boggles the mind. Although more people are preserving these new cars for the future like virtually nobody did back then, I still think it's worth doing.

I recently added a vintage motorcycle to my stable that hadn't been run or tagged since 1981 that had the proper make and model tires that were OEM equipment on it (long since obsolete). They're hard as a rock, but the outward appearance is near new. Since fully detailing the bike and returning it to full operating condition I plan to put new rubber on it to safely use it occasionally, but you can bet I will be bagging those old tires in the event I decide to let the next collector enjoy it.
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Fwiw, I asked Michellin about the life span of the PS2's. They said, regardless of mileage, they should be replaced after 6 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wonder if there is a way to preserve them. I am aware of the plastic bag trick, but I wonder if there is a way to treat them to last longer.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Fwiw, I asked Michellin about the life span of the PS2's. They said they said, regardless of mileage, they should be replaced after 6 years.
For normal use? I have used old stock tires for the track in that time frame. I read modern tires are good for at least 10 years.

I am not suggesting that in 20+ years, that someone mount the tires and head to the track, lol

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
For normal use? I have used old stock tires for the track in that time frame. I read modern tires are good for at least 10 years.

I am not suggesting that in 20+ years, that someone mount the tires and head to the track, lol
I think that's a sliding scale with performance tires being on the short end. I'm sure some truck tires, all seasons and such could get a lot more time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I think that's a sliding scale with performance tires being on the short end. I'm sure some truck tires, all seasons and such could get a lot more time.
The tires on my '97 cobra are still doing ok. Wouldn't go to the track with them though, lol

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I wonder if there is a way to preserve them. I am aware of the plastic bag trick, but I wonder if there is a way to treat them to last longer.
I think the issue would be the plasticizers in the rubber leaching out over time. I can't think of any way to prevent that.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
For my 2 R models, I have spare CF wheels on the vehicles for use. The original OEM wheels and tires are being stored.

I have a few questions pertaining to the tires that are original to the car.

First, does anyone think that there is any colletor benefit to have the original tires on the wheels as they were delivered? Removing the tires would free up valuable storage space. On the other hand, I dont plan to sell the cars and maybe the original tires on the wheels my have more collectability to whoever inherits the cars.

Second, tires do age. I recall reading that tires these days are good for at least 10 years if stored properly. However, what good is a tire that is beyond its useful age if it is no longer functional as it was designed?

Who knows, maybe sport cup 2s won't be around in 20 years. The tire is an integral part of the car. But then again, what good are they if they are too old to use?

I am a firm believer in driving the car. I do as much as I can. Although the wheels are completely repairable (as I have learned), I still have used my resources and know how to use spare CF wheels to enjoy the car as designed.

Tires are tires. Are they worth preserving?
Tom, if I am correct you have both a 2017 Electronics Package car and a much more rare 2018 Base R therefore you have the best of both worlds and it doesn't get any better than that from from standpoint.

If you are presently storing the OEM Cup 2 tires and CR CF wheels I suggest that is great thinking with respect to keeping the integrity of your two cars in tact regardless of how many miles that you decide to drive them over the next many years.

From both an enthusiast standpoint and a collectors standpoint I really appreciate the originallity of any HP vehicle which not only includes integral parts of our cars such as OEM date coded tires and wheels but also retaining as much of the original provenance that has been kept in tact over the years.

Back in 2003 I came across a 1969 1/2 A12 Road Runner that was just an outstanding example of the Muscle Car era that I grew up in and the only concern that I had with the car was that the original date coded "H" code wheels were missing along with the G70 X 15 Goodyear Polyglas Redline tires (1 tire size larger than all the Hemi cars) as the rest of the vehicle was all original including a numbers matching engine, tranny and Dana 60 rearend.

I purchased the car and spent then next 3 years looking for properly date coded wheels and tires and finally was able to put together a set of 5 wheels/tires that were accumulated mostly from unused wheels and tires out of the trunks from other A12 cars with my cost ranging between $2000 and $3000 for each wheel and tire therefore that was a lot of money back then.

Obviously this is not about dollars and cents but more about keeping the integrity and originality of your two R models for future reference and ownership therefore I would encourage you to continue to store these wheels and tires and know that you are well aware of how to do all that!

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I have no idea if painting them up with tire softener would help or junk them or if it can even soak in deep enough, but it sure seems like something should be able to help. I'm wondering if a light coat of motor oil or transmission fluid + airtight seal would be a good idea or not.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I would definitely be concerned about successfully remounting OEM tires after a decade or more of long term storage w/o cracking them. If you really really want to have ancient OEM tires around, probably would need to leave them on the wheels?

Removing and bagging them would definitely extend their useful life, but if we're talking about having them for posterity or collectors a quarter century from now, IDK if that's viable? I vacuum bag my race tires that I intend to use within only a year because tire aging is no joke.

I don't know of any other ways to keep them in good condition other than keeping them at a constant temperature so they aren't heat cycling slowly, and sealing them in vacuum bags to slow down how quickly they dry out.

Stored well, I would not want to drive on them after 6 years anyway, but stored very very well, maybe they'd be fine for 10, IDK.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
You know how Paul Walker died right? His Carerra GT had super old original OEM tires and they hardened up leading to the vehicles total destruction and he and his friends death.
Wow, I for one did not know that about the crash.
Any car guy should know the dangers of old rubber. Pretty hard to believe Paul wasn’t aware of the dangers…Sad.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, if I am correct you have both a 2017 Electronics Package car and a much more rare 2018 Base R therefore you have the best of both worlds and it doesn't get any better than that from from standpoint.

If you are presently storing the OEM Cup 2 tires and CR CF wheels I suggest that is great thinking with respect to keeping the integrity of your two cars in tact regardless of how many miles that you decide to drive them over the next many years.

From both an enthusiast standpoint and a collectors standpoint I really appreciate the originallity of any HP vehicle which not only includes integral parts of our cars such as OEM date coded tires and wheels but also retaining as much of the original provenance that has been kept in tact over the years.

Back in 2003 I came across a 1969 1/2 A12 Road Runner that was just an outstanding example of the Muscle Car era that I grew up in and the only concern that I had with the car was that the original date coded "H" code wheels were missing along with the G70 X 15 Goodyear Polyglas Redline tires (1 tire size larger than all the Hemi cars) as the rest of the vehicle was all original including a numbers matching engine, tranny and Dana 60 rearend.

I purchased the car and spent then next 3 years looking for properly date coded wheels and tires and finally was able to put together a set of 5 wheels/tires that were accumulated mostly from unused wheels and tires out of the trunks from other A12 cars with my cost ranging between $2000 and $3000 for each wheel and tire therefore that was a lot of money back then.

Obviously this is not about dollars and cents but more about keeping the integrity and originality of your two R models for future reference and ownership therefore I would encourage you to continue to store these wheels and tires and know that you are well aware of how to do all that!
Exactly. Its not about the money at all. These cars are keepers. I have recently acquired a spare set of street/track CF wheels for everyday use and the ones that came with the car will be stored and kept safe. These cars are too special to be driving around on aluminum wheels, so I decided to do what I did with the 500..... buy a spare set of CF for guilt free use.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Exactly. Its not about the money at all. These cars are keepers. I have recently acquired a spare set of street/track CF wheels for everyday use and the ones that came with the car will be stored and kept safe. These cars are too special to be driving around on aluminum wheels, so I decided to do what I did with the 500..... buy a spare set of CF for guilt free use.
I like your short and long term plan and no question that sometime down the road some lucky GT350R enthusiast will be the benefactor of your forward thinking.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
We will all be pissed off in 20 years when we learn we had to stash 4 huge tires for 2 decades in order to make an extra $1000 :)
Pissed off? That's $50 a year! That's one free trip to the movies every year for 2 decades. No popcorn of course. Parking will cost you too.
Sponsored