Sponsored

R owners... should i keep original tires?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The points about mounting old tires are very good. I should have thought of that, especially with how low-profile these tires are.

So, if you leave them on the wheels, I think the next best thing is a full purge and nitrogen fill to a lower-than-normal pressure.

Just think about the goals:
1) Avoid oxygen and moisture, which breaks down the structure of the carcass through oxidation
2) Avoid ozone, which catalyzes the ozonolysis reaction that breaks rubber C=C double bonds (this is why windshield wipers in LA will literally smear rubber on the glass if used after long periods of sitting)
3) Avoid light and heat, which speeds up both reactions

So, DRY nitrogen fill solves the problem of oxygen inside the tire. The plastic bag and vacuum seal minimizes oxygen, ozone and light on the outside of the tire. Then you just need a cool, dry space.
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
If you fill the tires with nitrogen but then place the wheel with mounted tire in a vacuum pack bag, then the tire might crack due to it being pressurized on the inside, but a vacuum on the outside?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you fill the tires with nitrogen but then place the wheel with mounted tire in a vacuum pack bag, then the tire might crack due to it being pressurized on the inside, but a vacuum on the outside?
We’re only talking about “vacuum” to pull the air out of the bag. You can’t actually put the tire exterior into vacuum lower than ambient pressure without putting it inside a hard pressure vessel. The bag w/o air will still be ambient pressure on the tire itself because its not rigid and can’t push back, cause thats a bag’s lot in life.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The tires on my '97 cobra are still doing ok. Wouldn't go to the track with them though, lol
Put PS4S on my wifes 01 Cobra 4 years ago. She doesnt drive it much but does move it around. It's parked in a garage 100% of the time. Lots of cracking going on. I think these 200ish treadwear tires just age faster. Most of the tires used for OE before recent years seemed to be more like "normal" passeenger car tires and lasted longer.
Sponsored