jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
We've seen on average 25 for HP difference on our dyno for N/A and about double for forced induction cars. Theres typically about a 5 HP difference between high flow cats and off road so not terribly too much of a difference. I havent weighed the difference between the stock headers and aftermarket headers but I dont think the weight is that much of a difference. Biggest difference is pulling the catback for something aftermarket other than Corsa as they're the heaviest aftermarket catback out there.
Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
We've seen on average 25 for HP difference on our dyno for N/A and about double for forced induction cars. Theres typically about a 5 HP difference between high flow cats and off road so not terribly too much of a difference. I havent weighed the difference between the stock headers and aftermarket headers but I dont think the weight is that much of a difference. Biggest difference is pulling the catback for something aftermarket other than Corsa as they're the heaviest aftermarket catback out there.
Yep, when you remove the entire exhaust system and go to 3” Kooks SS the full length there’s significant reduction in weight.

LTH alone without cats are 10-12lbs
Xpipe vs resonator -10lbs
Axle back 3” SS vs galvanized 10lbs
Kooks muffler vs stock 8lbs

approx -40lbs is the number

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Just for the record, @ exactly 50 miles, CEL popped up.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Ugh…. I hate that. Remind us did you install any defoulers initially?
what’s your plan for dealing with the CEL?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hey, did you install the defoulers? Because I will not install headers unless this is a fix for it. Please let us know. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Ugh…. I hate that. Remind us did you install any defoulers initially?
what’s your plan for dealing with the CEL?
No defoulers installed. Most likely get it tuned.

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Hey, did you install the defoulers? Because I will not install headers unless this is a fix for it. Please let us know. Thanks
No I did not. If I remember correctly,there was no room for an extension, maybe one in a 90*. But no, I'll just get it tuned.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I'm curious as to what purpose an O2 defauler serves - just to move the O2 up out of the exhaust stream?

I mean the engine in totally stock form, nothing has been changed, aside from the physical exhaust tube diameters and length, plus the engine isn't producing any different exhaust from the heads than it would regardless of what type of exhaust manifolds or "header" was in place. Granted with most LTH's, the O2 is usually moved further down the pipe and sometimes O2 extensions are needed

I do understand the LTH design/flow and marginal HP gain on a stock and just street driven Mustang. I've installed many LTH's on many Mustangs, aside from the S550... so the S550 defouler lingo and purpose of use is more knowledge to learn....

Also don't some State inspection stations look for defoulers and also fail upon visual for not only use of defoulers but even the sight of LTH's?

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Also don't some State inspection stations look for defoulers and also fail upon visual for not only use of defoulers but even the sight of LTH's?
They dont do that here in dirty Jerz do they? I havent had this experience but I also go see an old high school friend for inspections :)

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
No defoulers installed. Most likely get it tuned.
I installed Kooks LTHs and a full 3" Borla catback and immediately got the CEL. My tuner said that I was running 20% -30% lean... no CEL after a tune. Defoulers won't fix the lean condition.

Sponsored

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
I installed Kooks LTHs and a full 3" Borla catback and immediately got the CEL. My tuner said that I was running 20% -30% lean... no CEL after a tune. Defoulers won't fix the lean condition.
Curious as to why adding headers would cause the car to indicate it was running lean. Any specific cause provided or does anyone know why this would happen?
Does changing the exhaust flow rate cause the intake to lean? Just trying to understand

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Curious as to why adding headers would cause the car to indicate it was running lean. Any specific cause provided or does anyone know why this would happen?
Does changing the exhaust flow rate cause the intake to lean? Just trying to understand
Cylinder flow rate. You see it all the time on carb cars with cutouts

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I agree, would have to be the flow rate. I'm glad I don't have to deal with inspections here in KS. Either way I was planning on getting the car tuned, just not this soon. But too late for that now.

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Code PO420

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
They dont do that here in dirty Jerz do they? I havent had this experience but I also go see an old high school friend for inspections :)
Unfortunately at the State Inspection facilities they have become really strict with all the EPA BS.... Visually, LTH's are an insta-fail... and they do plug in all vehicles for the OBD testing. As for the O2 foulers, depends on who's "in the know" with those... I wouldn't doubt it if there's some internal memo posted somewhere at the inspection sites about them with all the EPA scrubbers out there...

If you're getting the "buddy pass" with a trick that used to be used a ways back - such as logging your vehicle into the system, hooking it to the inspection machine but "sniff" from another running vehicle tailpipe to get the emissions passed... best be very careful... he can lose his license, livelihood and be shut down. It's no joke anymore.

Now if you have a vehicle in NJ that is 1995 or older, you can do whatever you want to it - it's totally exempt from ALL inspection processes and does not need to go through any inspections at all.
Sponsored