Questions about exhaust and size

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have been searching and gathering some information, but I want to flat out ask some questions.

I have a 2017 GT and I'm looking to replace the stock exhaust. I'm leaning towards the Xforce Varex cat-back as I like the adjustable valves, and the 3 inch tubing. But I'm concerned the open valves will not be enough bark and some suggest adding an X/H pipe. I starting looking into just the axle-back Varex and getting an H pipe, but now tube sizes could be different.

My question is:
Would a separate H pipe, into stock tubing, into Varex mufflers really impact performance or sound? I'm thinking this would only impact the sound, which I don't want any 'tin' type sound.

I think I read somewhere 3 inch tubing reduces/eliminates the tin noise. But any help would be great.
Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Would 3" tubing increase volume and drone?

OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Would 3" tubing increase volume and drone?
Maybe volume. I believe you need 3" tubing for forced induction. More air in, more air out. But would variance in tubing size really impact anything for N/A?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Xforce offers 2.5 inch varex axle back also I belive. I have the full 3 inch system from with headers cats and full catback. With the valves open at idle once warm it's a very mellow sound almost stock levels. Under acceleration it screams but at cruising speed hardly noticeable. With the valves closed its dead silent perfect for date night. And build quality is top notch. Only downside was I had to bend one if their hangers to center the tip in the rear valence.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Xforce offers 2.5 inch varex axle back also I belive. I have the full 3 inch system from with headers cats and full catback. With the valves open at idle once warm it's a very mellow sound almost stock levels. Under acceleration it screams but at cruising speed hardly noticeable. With the valves closed its dead silent perfect for date night. And build quality is top notch. Only downside was I had to bend one if their hangers to center the tip in the rear valence.

Great feedback, thank you. Xforce do make a 2.5 and 3 inch versions of the Varex. I heard build quality was great and I'm looking forward to getting a system.

I'm still leaning towards a 3 inch catback. The savings in going custom H pipe and Varex axle backs is small. And after searching 2.5 vs 3 I think most people go to 3 inch tubing. I also have thoughts of joining the FI threads and toss a supercharger on down the road, and 3 inch will not have any restrictions.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I can't comment on your exact exhaust choice but when I installed the 3" borla stype cat back it gave the car a nice, noticeable bump in power. When I added the 2.5" resonator it basically eliminated those gains so I custom fab'd up an alternative solution.

OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I can't comment on your exact exhaust choice but when I installed the 3" borla stype cat back it gave the car a nice, noticeable bump in power. When I added the 2.5" resonator it basically eliminated those gains so I custom fab'd up an alternative solution.
thank you for the feedback. 3 inch all the way sounds like the plan
Sponsored