Sponsored

Kooks Longtube install finished...

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Finally, started installing (on my back) Kooks off-road longtubes that I purchased on Black Friday. I am not in any hurry since the drag strip does not open back up until March and this is not a daily driver but I am hoping to finish up this weekend. I was leery of jacking the car up high enough on jackstands for an extended period of time so I purchased a full set of Race Ramps wheel cribs. The chassis is about 17 inches off the ground and tons of room under the whole car now. I can also use these to clock all my suspension bushings at home since the car is sitting level with the full weight on the tires.

I have already loosened/removed all header nuts that were easily accessible and am now at the point of jacking the motor to remove the motor mount brackets and pull the stock headers out. I am starting on the passenger side as that is the tougher side for sure. One note I will say is I found the top passenger cat bolt pretty easy to get off compared to other stories I have read on the forums. I just sprayed it with PB Blaster and came back a few hours later and it came right off easy for me.

I am already tuned on PBD E85 and I plan on going ported CJ manifold after I am done with this install. Am I able to skip the tune update and just wait until I get the CJ is installed and get a final retune at that time? I did buy some O2 spacers for the rear O2 sensors to hopefully get me by for a month while waiting for the CJ parts to show up and prevent any check engine lights. Honestly do not care about any check engine lights for the missing cats if it does not affect drivability in anyway.

raceramp1 (Medium).jpg
raceramp2 (Medium).jpg
stockpassengerheader (Medium).jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Excited to see the rest of the results and how long it takes you.

LethalBlake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150
Its awesome to see install documentation pop up every now and then, wish we would see more of these as it would possibly help others with their installs. Keep up the great work! :like:

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got the passenger header out this morning. Did not remove the motor mount itself, only the bracket. I did have to remove every stud to do it. Not too difficult overall, just tedious and time consuming. I’m going to the Washington Caps game tonight so going try and get the passenger Kooks header in before I go.
A8670CCB-B654-4BFD-BAF5-0B911A42863F.jpeg
2269C789-37D8-4767-943C-0F7C9A901A7A.jpeg

Sponsored

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Just received my set, highly considering spending the $360 to have them installed for me, but may do it myself depending on your feedback and/or suggestions.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Keep it going!

SlowJunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
Looks to be going well. I just finished installing 2 inch kooks with off road connections on my 18. Took me a total of about 12 hrs with a lift. Was also my first time. Going back tomorrow to re-torque everything. It's LOUD :rockon:

20200114_095411.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Great tech thread and LT’s rock!

I had always used LT’s on all prior Fox 5.0’s and even installed a set of BBK LT’s on my 94 Cobra over 12 years ago; they’re still on it and still sound like no other header at idle and WOT...

You’re gonna love the LT’s!

——

Curious about the Race Ramps Wheel Cribs; are the ones you have 1-piece, or are they stackable components that raise the car that high? I’ve never seen those... I mean, I have always used the standard Race Ramps for doing oil changes and minor things, just never saw that setup.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Got the passenger header out this morning. Did not remove the motor mount itself, only the bracket. I did have to remove every stud to do it. Not too difficult overall, just tedious and time consuming. I’m going to the Washington Caps game tonight so going try and get the passenger Kooks header in before I go.
2269C789-37D8-4767-943C-0F7C9A901A7A.jpeg
Holy hell, great photo, it's like you sent a tiny drone into your engine bay!

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I would be slightly concerned with working under a car that has some preload on the suspension. Jacking the car up and setting it down will leave tension and until the car rolls a little.

Also, you won't need a revision until the CJ install.

Mickey3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I just picked up a set of Kooks over Christmas and am planning on installing them myself in the next few weeks. I'll be following this thread closely!

SlowJunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
Just a heads up on the kooks install, which you probably already know but just in case these are some things I learned. The stage 8 hardware bolts use an 11mm socket/wrench. This is kind of an oddball size. It's well worth having both 3/8 and 1/4 inch sockets (regular and deep). Another must have is an 11mm ratcheting wrench, preferably with a tilting head. I had to go to a few auto parts stores to find one they day of install and while it did ratchet it did not have a tilting end which would have helped alot.

Make sure to get a full heat cycle in and then retorque everything on headers and exhaust connections after it cools back down. I found quite a few bolts that needed retightened.

The stage 8 locking hardware can be tedious to get on, just take your time. We notched a flat head screwdriver to help install the circlips. There is also not enough provided for every header bolt, most likely because some would be impossible to install on.

Don't forget blue thread locker on the engine motor mount bolts (I had to take them all back off and reinstall because I forgot).

Torque off road connection to header ball flare joints pretty good. I had to retorque these quite a bit after a heat cycle. Make sure to install the stage 8 locking hardware on these too.

Looks awesome so far! If you run into any issues lmk and I'll try to help push you in the right direction. It is not easy by any means. I was thankful to get lift time at my buddies shop.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious about the Race Ramps Wheel Cribs; are the ones you have 1-piece, or are they stackable components that raise the car that high? I’ve never seen those... I mean, I have always used the standard Race Ramps for doing oil changes and minor things, just never saw that setup.
My cribs are the 2piece stackable 12” version (6” each). You can slide under there to do an oil change with only the bottom 6” cribs. I bet I could drop the transmission out of it when stacked like I have it now.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
12 hours with a lift. Phuck that... Makes me sick to my stomach to watch a header install. What an ass kicking. Get er done OP. May the force be with you! ;).
Sponsored