Sponsored

PPF questions

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
What do you mean "until they trimmed it"? Is that good or bad?
Good, in that they did exactly what I asked for based on their recommendation. They cut out the PPF so there is nothing on the vinyl. It’s cut right up to the edge. The thicknesses of the PPF and vinyl are so close that with a good seam you can’t tell there is even film on the hood.

727FA3EE-3A81-4845-96B1-F931A42E7BCF.jpeg
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Are you able to see the seam? Did he have to hand trim that piece or was it done by the computer? I need to run that by my guy. I would be worried the edges will lift in time.
I can't see it even when I try. I believe that was done by hand. It takes good knife skills to cut it.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I believe in the plotter if they do measure exactly beforehand and enter it the measurements the machine will cut it properly.

Not sure though if it possible to get it that exact. Also if all stripes would have been put on the exact same spot this could be added as a default in the software for the printer so everyone everywhere has the same, at least for XPEL I know they can do that

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
If you want to cut it around the matte part in the middle I would do what @Charlemagne did and let the PPF stretch over the glossy part of the vinyl.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
If you want to cut it around the matte part in the middle I would do what @Charlemagne did and let the PPF stretch over the glossy part of the vinyl.
I feel like there should be some sort of seal due to expansion on contraction so maybe that is the right approach covering the vinyl.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The gloss piece is definitely over the gloss part of the vinyl on mine. The matte piece only touches the matte section of the vinyl on it.

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The gloss piece is definitely over the gloss part of the vinyl on mine. The matte piece only touches the matte section of the vinyl on it.
Did this create a halo of air around the vinyl? Probably not noticeable on white or FJG but will be on darker colors.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
This stripe talk reminded me, a bit off topic mind you. After the car was PPFd (Velocity Blue) I learned about the Xpel matt option for stripes or not. So one could matt PPF your shiny car to give it a different look.

I went back to detailer and they put a small matt stripe on the hood to show me what some ghost racing stripes would look like. Pictures just didn't seem to capture how unique and subtle the matt PPF looked in a stripe over the glossy PPF. It was really cool, and an option for consideration.

In the end I spent money elsewhere, but neat nonetheless.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Did this create a halo of air around the vinyl? Probably not noticeable on white or FJG but will be on darker colors.
Nope. Perfectly flat on mine. I talked to my PPF installer about that and said that other colors of Mach 1's had a different texture on them and caused some film to bubble up. Mine came out great on the FJG. Brand that was used is Premium Shield. Some real good high end stuff. XPEL is extremely thick while brands like Suntek are much thinner. This one sits right in between and has good hydrophobic properties. He went into detail of how he got into using that product versus several other major brands. I can't even tell I have PPF with the way it was installed.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it will, necessarily, it's due to the thickness of the vinyl and PPF bending over its edge, it causes maybe 1.5 mm line of air around the vinyl. Doesn't bother me at all, I'll rather take that than dirt collecting between PPF and vinyl or scratches and holograms on fragile glossy part of the vinyl.

hood.jpg

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Yes, it will, necessarily, it's due to the thickness of the vinyl and PPF bending over its edge, it causes maybe 1.5 mm line of air around the vinyl. Doesn't bother me at all, I'll rather take that than dirt collecting between PPF and vinyl or scratches and holograms on fragile glossy part of the vinyl.

hood.jpg
I totally agree!👍👍. Its barely noticeable and even less on the FJG so I intend to have this done next week.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I totally agree!👍👍. Its barely noticeable and even less on the FJG so I intend to have this done next week.
Just wondering if air bubbles might form/grow if it bakes in the AZ sun after being applied in the cold of winter? Maybe the material is thick enough not to, but in our wind tunnel, we go out of our way to eliminate any air bubbles under tape and filled holes because they enlarge and cause the tape to peal away. They can also interfer with the boundry layer and change the aero. Of course we pump down to 2.5psia or up to 32psia and blow at speeds up to 2.5 Mach, but it could be an issue.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Surely the application is in a heated garage in normal temperatures. They should have controlled humidity and dust-less environment. Takes dozens of hours of precise work and they do it in T-shirts, not fur coats :)

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1

hood.jpg
Thanks. This picture is actually interesting because your matte looks fine. On this thread, there was a conclusion that the non FJG colors had a rougher matte which could cause failure during the wrapping process. seems like just the wrap over everything is fine
Sponsored