PP2 Ford Performance Tune

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I had to remove my strut tower brace to get the engine cover off. I must be doing something wrong.
You did it right. It's design stupidity.

I had my dealership do it and I think it was 3.5 hours.
3.5 hours? That must include two 20 minute coffee breaks and a 1 hour lunch? They wonder why we call them "stealerships".
Sponsored

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Warranty starts from purchase date of the vehicle.
So the PP2 warranty is good for the 3 yr 36k period that runs with the car? So basically it just retains the factory, basic warranty to 36k? Sorry if I sound ignorant - I just want to understand. Isn't there a 60k power train warranty? I bought my car used and was planning to wait until the warranty expires to purchase this mod in case I had any issues...

OP
OP
Porsche Dude

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
So the PP2 warranty is good for the 3 yr 36k period that runs with the car? So basically it just retains the factory, basic warranty to 36k? Sorry if I sound ignorant - I just want to understand. Isn't there a 60k power train warranty? I bought my car used and was planning to wait until the warranty expires to purchase this mod in case I had any issues...
Power train warranty is 5 years, 60,000 miles, 100,000 km up here. One thing that can be overlooked is buying an extended warranty from Ford that will cover you bumper to bumper for a total of 8 years, for not that much cost. You would need to check with your dealer but it will give you peace of mind.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Input would be welcome here...

The CAI/throttle body are not installed yet but I wanted to check out the capabilities of the Procal4....so I created an account with Ford Performance and registered the device/kit, and installed the software with the link provided next to the part number (circled below). I then plugged in the Procal to the computer and updated the firmware.

There's no explanation as to what this download contains...is it just the application for your computer to recognize the procal? Is it the actual tune that you need based on the part number/kit? Not clear but I assumed it would become evident once I linked it up to the car.

1613574737479.png

Next, I flashed the NGauge back to stock (got rid of the nearly useless Lund performance tune...for good?) and plugged in the Procal. Within two minutes, I had corrected for the 4.09 gear ratio and tire diameter (using the revs/mile that I googled for my tire size). Super easy!

But.... There was no indication that anything else was affected in the tune. Is the computer already looking for the new intake parts? It seems like there should be another step here...like downloading and installing a calibration profile of some kind. SCT and NGauge units both required this.

Thanks for any input.
Interesting, so you're saying you can update the car to accept 4.09 gears without actually flashing the tune? That's big news if true, because it means you can do rear gears without affecting the warranty at all.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it's crazy that a dealer wants $300 to $400 for the install. It took me less than an 90 minutes to do the install including about 25 minutes for the tune.

The hardest part was putting the rubber plug in the firewall after removing the sound symposer. I came up with an simple way to get the plug into the firewall. I took an old wooden dowel rod, rounded the end of it, and rolled up a piece if duct tape, stuck the rubber plug on the end of the stick, and poked it right into the hole in the firewall.

Another thing I found was that the stock airbox had a rigid inlet, while the new airbox has a rubber edge on the inlet. I had to remove the plastic radiator cover and the top radiator support and straighten out the inlet connection behind the grill because that rubber edge was folded over.

I've had my car for a year, and I have 616 miles on it now. The warranty really didn't mean much to me. The chances of me having a problem in the first three years is pretty slim, and if something does go wrong, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

20210221_172001.jpg
So no need to cut or drill into the engine cover? looks like the connector works just fine in front of the engine cover?

Sponsored

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Power train warranty is 5 years, 60,000 miles, 100,000 km up here. One thing that can be overlooked is buying an extended warranty from Ford that will cover you bumper to bumper for a total of 8 years, for not that much cost. You would need to check with your dealer but it will give you peace of mind.
So, an extended bumper to bumper would add to the warranty on this tune? I'm thinking Ford might not see it that way but I have no idea.

I guess I was hoping this tune/throttle body warranty had a 3 yr 36k warranty up to a max of the 5 yr 60k powertrain (starts on install vs vehicle in service date) vs ending when the car hits 3 years or 36k. My 3 yr is up in November and from what I can tell the warranty with this tune ends at 3 yrs/36k no matter when it is installed. Just seems like it should fall under the 5 yr 60k powertrain time horizon...

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Your dealer can either support warranty work or fight you on it. An example, If you change exhaust, they could deny engine related work if they wanted. You would then need to fight it with Ford. Having said that, i have had good luck with my local dealer on warranty work. I had my cats replaced twice under warranty on my last mustang, once with FRPP Performance tune and then with FRPP supercharger, both i installed myself and service writer new it. The first cat replacement was related to TSB and the second with the supercharger was related to a combination of too low octane gas, failed IC pump and track time. Engine lost power, pulled timing, dumped extra fuel in engine, overheated and went into limp mode. I didn't tell dealer. So it all depends.

I would think that as long as there was no internal engine damage with FRPP tune installed, that the dealer should honor original warranty even if you installed yourself. Having said that, as always, It Depends, even if an ASE mechanic installs!

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Interesting, so you're saying you can update the car to accept 4.09 gears without actually flashing the tune? That's big news if true, because it means you can do rear gears without affecting the warranty at all.
So it appears.

I can't confirm this 100% since I did not take the car out on the road after changing these parameters. It's possible that the car might throw a CEL or go into limp mode or something without changing other parameters but those things were selectable by going through the menus without uploading a whole new tune.

I suspect that it's just changing the same tables that you can access through FORScan.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
So it appears.

I can't confirm this 100% since I did not take the car out on the road after changing these parameters. It's possible that the car might throw a CEL or go into limp mode or something without changing other parameters but those things were selectable by going through the menus without uploading a whole new tune.

I suspect that it's just changing the same tables that you can access through FORScan.
Asking, you have the PP2 hardware installed. You did or did not add the tune?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You need to flash the tune for the new parameters to take effect.

It changes the same parameter I showed you in your thread.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
You need to flash the tune for the new parameters to take effect.

It changes the same parameter I showed you in your thread.

Yes, and leave FORScan alone. Stick with the tune, 1 step at a time, it is not a jigsaw puzzle .

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
So no need to cut or drill into the engine cover? looks like the connector works just fine in front of the engine cover?
Nope, on the 2018+ kit, they include a 90 degree connector for that hose, so no need to clearance the engine cover.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nope, on the 2018+ kit, they include a 90 degree connector for that hose, so no need to clearance the engine cover.
That connector was changed in later kits to alleviate the pressure on the nipple from snaking the hose to fit and had the added benefit of not having to cut the cover.

FP was supposed to send the updated part to early owners if they requested it but I was sent the pvc pipe instead.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
These are the numbers for the updated parts:

PCV tube: KR3Z-6758-A (factory Bullitt part)

90 deg Connector: WF2C0888AAF20

I called FRPP and sent direct to me, Levittown also offered to get them for me.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Do you still need to remove the engine cover for install if there's no longer any need to cut it?
Sponsored