Sponsored

Phoenix PX6 Review...

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know there is a huge Tesla screen thread, but I wanted to start one specifically for the new Phoenix PX6, which is by far the most expensive vertical screen android radio out there, and also the nicest looking. I wanted to talk all that I find good, and also quite a bit of very bad when it comes to this radio.

Aesthetically the design of a full glass like surface with extra AC controls on the sides, looks absolutely fantastic. This is where they really did a good job in the design. Also the volume and song advance knob is nice, but there is an issue with these.
I wish the "knobs" were programmable and could be edited to operate AC functions instead of just the radio, but that is kind of nit-picking. They have programming for the A/C touch points, but not the digital knobs.

My first complaint, is the home screen. It has this huge clock and calendar, which is completely useless. You can't use it for anything at all. It just takes up space. And, the city-scape pictures below are completely useless. You can't even edit those to get rid of them, and put a different picture in there. It's very amateurish. A real home page allows for basic widget apps, like weather and news links, etc.. To be honest, the home page should have the Sync software/radio in the bottom panel, and not useless pictures of cities none of us live in.
DSC_0410.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The second problem, is the A/C controls. The bottom panel allows you to control the fan speed, but the temperature can only be controlled by bringing up the split screen to change it. This is very difficult when driving. All the other Phoenix vertical screen radios allow you to adjust cabin temperature on the bottom with fan speed, but not this one. Again, very amateurish, and frankly unsafe to use while driving.
DSC_0411.JPG

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Next, the Sync software. Most things are there on the radio tuner and USB music player. Sync still works, along with text message alert. This is the one part I really do like. They managed to keep most of the important Sync functions.

Now for the bad. This Sync radio software looks like it was designed by a 10yo child. Bright blue background with yellow station buttons. In fact, it is SO BRIGHT, it is quite distracting while driving, even with the night back lighting turned all the way down. This could be potentially unsafe.

Also, the original radio, and even the premium Tesla radio software shows Radio station Identification and song title. This radio is very poor in software design, and should be the same as the Premium version of this radio for the same price. Seriously, I paid the same price as the Premium version of this radio, and it should have the same nice looking software and functions.
Also, in the settings, I can no longer adjust the mid-range frequency. The DSP says it changes from Rock to Classical, etc, yet no perceivable change in audio quality.
On the main radio station panel, it should have the Outside air temperature indication, and Station ID info that the Premium radio software has. Again, very amateurish. It's as if they included only the basics, and charged a premium for it.

You would think Phoenix would go through these with a fine tooth comb to make sure all the programming is functional. I paid the same price as the premium radio, and got less in a product. They need to rectify this IMMEDIATELY!!!
DSC_0412.JPG

Middle range adjustment on the EQ is at -7, and is non-functional.

DSC_0413.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Next, the HD dash camera. This camera is turning out to be a complete waste of money. I installed it several times now, and no matter what I do, the camera will not start and record video each time I shut off the car and start up again.
Every time I start the car, the app will not show video and says it has no SD card installed, which it has a brand new one that I tested in my other camera, and works fine. It is a Samsung Pro Endurance card that is the best for recording video. If only the camera worked.
The only way to get the camera to record video, is to reach under the dash and unplug/plug in the USB connection every single time I start the car. Otherwise, no go. It's just a cheap nuisance. I am very disappointed in this dash cam.
The pic of the forested road is default and it keeps saying to install a tf card. It just won't boot up properly after turning off the car.
UPDATE: I plugged the camera into the other provided USB cable port (there's 2 USB cables), and after rebooting the radio, it started working. I will have to do this a few more times to see if ti still keeps working as it should.

DSC_0414.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The crazy thing is, I really like this stereo. I think it has a DSP inside that does in fact make most music sound a little nicer, but I cannot control the EQ like I could with the old radio. Also, the flat panel design is truly beautiful. It looks fantastic in my car. Google Maps appears to work as it should. However, I wish I could get it to start up in "Driving" mode, since I really like the gray screen and vehicle arrow indication. But not sure the app has a function for that. Not a radio issue though.

The main reason I bought this radio, is BECAUSE I wanted to be able to use the original Sync functions, because I like using the voice activation button on the steering wheel to play albums, make calls, change radio stations, etc without having to fiddle with the radio all the time. That's supposed to be what this radio does, but it really falls short in a lot of very vital areas.

Another big problem I am having is the FAST BOOT time. All the other Phoenix radios have a Sleep Time function in the settings to allow you to adjust how long the radio will stay idle with active memory for a fast boot. Whether it be 1 minute, or up to 24 hours. This radio has no ability to adjust that. After about 5 minutes, the radio will do a full boot and take a good 30-40 seconds to start up. It only fast boots if I shut the car off and start right back up. There is no way to extend this.

I am honestly not sure if I want to keep this radio. I may just call Phoenix and ask if there is some way to rectify some of these issues, or I may just pull it out and send it back. I honestly don't want to though, because it is such a nice looking setup. But if continues to be a sub par product with no ability to upgrade or fix these issues, then at this point I honestly DON'T THINK I CAN RECOMMEND this radio to anyone. Maybe if it was only $300-$400, but not almost $800.

At least not right now. If this changes, I will update this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent update Condor! I have been contemplating getting this for my '19 GT350 and have decided against it. I too installed a PX6 in my '17 Ford F350 and have the identical issues you are having. What pisses me off the most is the extreme lack of customer support by the business I purchased the unit from. I was able to get the Sync software operating successfully, and even downloaded Sync 3.4! I hope an American company can better this idea, because the fit and form is brilliant. The operation....not so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Excellent update Condor! I have been contemplating getting this for my '19 GT350 and have decided against it. I too installed a PX6 in my '17 Ford F350 and have the identical issues you are having. What pisses me off the most is the extreme lack of customer support by the business I purchased the unit from. I was able to get the Sync software operating successfully, and even downloaded Sync 3.4! I hope an American company can better this idea, because the fit and form is brilliant. the operation....not so much.
I have the Sync-1 modules in my Mustang. Do you know if there is some updated Android software for this?

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure. I know the PX6 units you and I have are loaded with Android 8.1, but as far as the Sync system - since my '17 had Sync 3 in it when I bought it - I was able to upgrade it to 3.4.

There is a Facebook group I just joined called "Tesla Style. Firmware and HeadUnits" - they have a bunch of knowledgeable folks that have given me good info on the units.

Tim

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OK, another update.

After switching the HD Dash Camera to the other USB port, it now appears to be working as it should. I'll just use the other port for loading pics and such.

That's the whole issue I have. PHYSICALLY, this unit seems to be working perfectly now, and I have no issues with the hardware itself.....

All my concerns and personal dislikes have to do with the programming. If there was only a way to get these issues resolved, this Android radio would be just about perfect.

So, I suppose in the end, if you wanted this unit, and wouldn't mind the issues I'm having with programming, then I suppose it would actually be something a lot of people would love to have.
I'm just not sure I'm going to get over these programming discrepancies. I would hate to pull this thing out, because the look of this unit is the one MASSIVE saving grace. I truly hope they can fix these programming issues.

Last edited:

PandaPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Thanks for this post. I'm looking into one myself. By chance, did you hook up a backup camera or do the 360° camera option? Does this retain the OEM backup camera function? Also, did the voice command feature from the steering wheel work for calls?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for this post. I'm looking into one myself. By chance, did you hook up a backup camera or do the 360° camera option? Does this retain the OEM backup camera function? Also, did the voice command feature from the steering wheel work for calls?
Yes, the original Syn voice command works.

I hooked up a single dash cam, not a 360. It plugs into one of the extra USB cords that comes with the unit. I ran the cord under the glove box, up the A-pillar and to the rear view mirror where it's adhered to the top of the windshield.
That does not interfere with the backup cam. The backup cam is a completely separate system.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
UPDATE: OK, chalk up another failure of the PX6 system. The "Listen" feature for text messages doesn't work either.. The little screen pops up when I get a message, but it goes away so fast, I can't touch the "Listen" button to hear it. On a few occasions now, I got quick enough to press "Listen", and it does nothing. The screen just goes away. It was always nice to hear a text, just to make sure it's not an emergency, or anything I may need to know right away, but this seems to be another sacrifice you make when you install this system. It at least dings and informs me of a received message, but the voice to speak the message is gone. I have no idea what to do to try and fix that. By having the "Listen" function on the pop-up screen, one would assume they accommodated for this feature. Yet, it's useless.

BWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Nissan Versa SL, 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7
Vehicle Showcase

dougal19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name