Sponsored

Android 8" PX6 unit

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I have finally taken the plunge since no one else was willing, for those that dont want a giant tesla screen and want to retain physical hvac controls but also dont want to cut off volume/tune knobs and look stock this may be the answer. After talking to several vendors I have decided this unit I got for 350$ specs are as follows;

PX6 6-core
Android 10(allegedly)
4GB RAM/64 STORAGE
wired carplay/android
built in DSP
output 4 45W
has optional RCA
retains SYNC function, steering wheel controls, backup camera.

I am happy to report the installation went relatively smooth, besides just having to make the back panel of the unit was the only challenging part of this whole process. I don't think I could be happier with the current outcome.

ALL steering wheel controls work including sync
back up camera does indeed work as factory design, meaning it will switch channel to camera instantly no matter what state the unit is in and retains guides, the unit did include an optional sensor speaker for those that have back up sensors.
The unit boots up pretty fast from a complete cold boot up like 10 seconds fast, yes the camera works before it boots!
the unit does have some sleep keep in memory function, so going back in the car instantly comes on.
Radio, GPS all seem to be working as intended Radio does display live information.
The UI is pretty simple, straight forward no gimmicks type of non sense, only shows doors when opened and closed, a good thing IMO, yes there is still no temp display as other units but torque could do as a workaround.
I have not experienced any glitches switching through the menus seems pretty stable as infotainment functions concerned.
The sound is noticeably better and louder given the DSP functions a dramatic improvement over stock.
The unit is not Android 10 but in fact 9
Android auto works well
More testing to be done but I can already say this gamble has paid off

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001083951661.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.26214c4dY6WyVK

This unit is for base 4 screen models only. I will keep you guys posted

View attachment 501137
IMG_20200825_205813.jpg
IMG_20200825_192516.jpg
IMG_20200827_173657.jpg
IMG_20200827_193516.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Looks like the tomtop unit that's been around for years. My guess is it only works on 15-18 mustangs.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have finally taken the plunge since no one else was willing, for those that dont want a giant tesla screen and want to retain physical hvac controls but also dont want to cut off volume/tune knobs and look stock this may be the answer. After talking to several vendors I have decided on one unit specs are as follows;

PX6 6-core
Android 10(allegedly)
4GB RAM/64 STORAGE
wired carplay/android
built in DSP
output 4 45W
has optional RCA
retains SYNC function, steering wheel controls, backup camera.

I don't want to spend close to two grand just to have a bigger SYNC screen with more installation complexities, having Android running natively is much more beneficial to me, BTW I was able to snag this unit for $350 on aliexpress, installation will be very similar to the TOMTOP units.

This unit is for base 4 screen models only. I will keep you guys posted

View attachment 501137
What if you got a 2019-2020. We don't have CD players.

OP
OP
Turbong

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the tomtop unit that's been around for years. My guess is it only works on 15-18 mustangs.
this unit has no relation to tomtop just the installation style, it comes with its own cd box like the other android 10.2 inch where it hosts the brain components,

@Dave2013M3

I dont think it will make a difference to be honest I assume you still have the box in the same location that has the harness connected to where it outputs the sound and hosts the radio reciever, just without the cd slot, and frankly it would make no difference if the cd player works or not to me haha whats funny is you will get cd functionality back if anything.

OP
OP
Turbong

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like Christmas came early
IMG_20200824_121257~3.jpg

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have updated details and included the link at the top

Where in S. Cali do you live? Love to see it in person. I live in El Segundo.

OP
OP
Turbong

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where in S. Cali do you live? Love to see it in person. I live in El Segundo.
Yea id have no problem with that, that's close bro im in the Culver City area, though let me ask if it is compatible because the 19s have a different sync module which would need to be compatible.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea id have no problem with that, that's close bro im in the Culver City area, though let me ask if it is compatible because the 19s have a different sync module which would need to be compatible.

I emailed Ali express they said its compatible but said it doesn't have the CD player. Did it come with the head unit that replaced the OEM head unit?

OP
OP
Turbong

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I emailed Ali express they said its compatible but said it doesn't have the CD player. Did it come with the head unit that replaced the OEM head unit?
Yea mine came with the receiver/cd player box. I am not sure about the 19s+ so I would verify, maybe it doesn't have that receiver at all.

OP
OP
Turbong

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just tested SYNC pairing on the phone it downloads phone book, it takes input commands but no sound output is this an issue like some Tesla models have experienced? Was using the units BT pair which obviously works fine. Anyone?

alanlopezlv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Grey Magnetic
Do you recommend this radio still? Thinking about buying it also

OP
OP
Turbong

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you recommend this radio still? Thinking about buying it also
Depends on what you want at this point, this is for people that want to retain hvac/physical volume controls and don't want them replaced by a screen and stock look. Anything you upgrade from 4inch screen will be a huge upgrade regardless. For me I have not found anything to be a deal breaker, Sync does not output sound so far have not looked deeply into solving this although I never really used it in the first place. Using the units BT or Android auto is good for me, I am happy with the unit overall.
Sponsored