Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Nissan Versa SL, 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7
Vehicle Showcase
How did you change the theme?
I flashed the unit with custom firmware. It cost me $100 for the firmware. It has 40+ themes and some other enhancements. A coder named Sergey Kozlov has a Facebook group named Tesla Style. Firmware and HeadUnits on Facebook. He is the coder programming the firmware. He just released our firmware last week though. Working out a few bugs still.
Sponsored

Paul's Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, Magnetic, Showstopper Red
I flashed the unit with custom firmware. It cost me $100 for the firmware. It has 40+ themes and some other enhancements. A coder named Sergey Kozlov has a Facebook group named Tesla Style. Firmware and HeadUnits on Facebook. He is the coder programming the firmware. He just released our firmware last week though. Working out a few bugs still.
I'm interested in trying this radio but I have a question I have yet to get Phoenix to answer for me. IF the tablet fails or loses power can you still use the start button to start the car? What about the other function switches such as steering mode etc? Will the AC controls on the side of the tablet still work if the tablet fails?

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Would you recommend this Tesla screen over the Seicane 10.1 screen?
I would recommend it for three reasons.
1. It is esthetically the prettiest, compared to all others, imo.
2. It has Google Maps and split screen ability.
3. It retains Sync Functions.... However this where it still falls short with glitches, and very visually cheap looking Sync software.
Admittedly, this is where I think I'm sending some mixed signals. I really don't want to say to people yes or no, on buying this unit. However, since it does have a lot of functionality, but also some obvious flaws imo, I want everyone to be aware of these issues if they choose to go ahead with it.

I may just take a look at having that fella do a firmware update like the other member did, since the home theme is so cheap looking.

One thing I would really like, is to have the two manual dials assignable to fan speed and temperature, since adjusting those two A/C controls is quite difficult while driving. I never use the dials for the radio, and having AC control as an option would really help this unit shine.

Last edited:

BWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in trying this radio but I have a question I have yet to get Phoenix to answer for me. IF the tablet fails or loses power can you still use the start button to start the car? What about the other function switches such as steering mode etc? Will the AC controls on the side of the tablet still work if the tablet fails?
Start button, yes. Your ac/heat, no. Steering is controlled in your cars gauge cluster, so yes.

Deffinately hold onto your stock head unit just in case.

Sponsored

BWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend it for three reasons.
1. It is esthetically the prettiest, compared to all others, imo.
2. It has Google Maps and split screen ability.
3. It retains Sync Functions.... However this where it still falls short with glitches, and very visually cheap looking Sync software.
Admittedly, this is where I think I'm sending some mixed signals. I really don't want to say to people yes or no, on buying this unit. However, since it does have a lot of functionality, but also some obvious flaws imo, I want everyone to be aware of these issues if they choose to go ahead with it.

I may just take a look at having that fella do a firmware update like the other member did, since the home theme is so cheap looking.

One thing I would really like, is to have the two manual dials assignable to fan speed and temperature, since adjusting those two A/C controls is quite difficult while driving. I never use the dials for the radio, and having AC control as an option would really help this unit shine.
The custom themes in the firmware add a few ways to control a/c and heat. However, he just released the firmware last week, so there's bugs to be worked out. You can tap the bar at the bottom to change temp and fan speed without touching the popup menu. Also, you can hit the mute button on your steering wheel and use up down left right steering wheel buttons to control it as well but that's currently not working for me. I just have no time to troubleshoot it as-is to see if I can get it to work without him updating code.

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
I have seen Phoenix automotive review video online and for the most part it does look like a good system. All I really care about is being able to use hear my Spotify music, have a working camera, ac functionality and Bluetooth connection. If it does that which by the video it seems it does, I am very interested in it. Might get it next month.

Paul's Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, Magnetic, Showstopper Red
”BWG
#21Yesterday at 3:09 PM
↑

”Start button, yes. Your ac/heat, no. Steering is controlled in your cars gauge cluster, so yes.

Deffinately hold onto your stock head unit just in case.”

Thanks for the reply, BWG. After you responded I heard from Phoenix and they stated that nothing, even the start button, would work if the tablet failed. Maybe they haven’t tested that situation on their own.

BWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's a switch that's independent from the unit.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
BWG, I notice he also fixed the Outside Air Temperature to read on the top task bar at 30c. Is that accurate where you live? 30c in Ohio?????

Can you post some pics of what his design for the radio control pop up and USB and Sync pop up looks like?

That would be worth paying for, imo. I live in the PacNW where we get a lot of black ice in the winter, where temps hover around freezing. It was always nice with the old stereo to tell me when temps hit 32F, and it lit up a snowflake to warn me roads in that area were freezing.

Not only would i want the A/C software fixed on the bottom for temp and fan control, but I would also want the Sync software for the radio and USB music files fixed to look better, and the "Listen" function to work for texts as it should. Also, I have the same problem of the steering wheel controls jumping 2 songs at a time, and the back arrow actually goes forward to the next song. It's super annoying.

It would also be fantastic if he could change that Mustang to Kona Blue. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I'll stop trying to convince people just to install a Scosche Dash kit and a reputable head unit at this point, because clearly people would rather spend more money for a lesser product, just because "muh big screen..."

If you're paying $100 for "custom firmware," you're getting raped. It's not firmware, it's just a reskinned launcher, and there are a million ways to do it for free. Phoenix Radios is just a reseller of the units as they come in from China- they have no dev team, there are no "engineers" despite what they may tell you.

I still have 2 different Android head units, one of the "Tesla" units, and an 8" screen model than I mess with on the bench from time to time. If you're willing to learn, I can help you guys accomplish what you're after.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I'd try one of these if they came down in price. No way I'm paying $600+ for something from a chinese company.

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Guys, I'll stop trying to convince people just to install a Scosche Dash kit and a reputable head unit at this point, because clearly people would rather spend more money for a lesser product, just because "muh big screen..."

If you're paying $100 for "custom firmware," you're getting raped. It's not firmware, it's just a reskinned launcher, and there are a million ways to do it for free. Phoenix Radios is just a reseller of the units as they come in from China- they have no dev team, there are no "engineers" despite what they may tell you.

I still have 2 different Android head units, one of the "Tesla" units, and an 8" screen model than I mess with on the bench from time to time. If you're willing to learn, I can help you guys accomplish what you're after.
What head unit would you recommend? I’ve seen some pioneers and kenwood but not to familiar with either and YouTube hasn’t been much help for me.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What head unit would you recommend? I’ve seen some pioneers and kenwood but not to familiar with either and YouTube hasn’t been much help for me.
I just picked one from Crutchfield with Android Auto, and ordered it with the Scosche dash kit.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
I just picked one from Crutchfield with Android Auto, and ordered it with the Scosche dash kit.
I was also looking in Cruthfield for my other car Nissan 350Z but can't decide between Kenwood or Alpine. Also Andriod Auto. Their experts told me either way i should be fine. Any opinions?
Sponsored