Sponsored

Perfect launch from a dig in a boosted 6R80

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I can vouch for the indy 500, they actually work better than any other tire ive ever used including ET street R's. They run a bit narrow but the compound is the best for the street.
Sponsored

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I can vouch for the indy 500, they actually work better than any other tire ive ever used including ET street R's. They run a bit narrow but the compound is the best for the street.
That's surprising. Have you tried the Nitto 555Rii or Michelin PS4S at your current power level?
What tires do you have on currently?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
That's surprising. Have you tried the Nitto 555Rii or Michelin PS4S at your current power level?
Not the 555rII but I have tried potenza s007, p zero corsa 4, p zero F, and MH racemasters along with the ET street R's and ps4s. Somehow the indy500 worked the best of all these for me. Et street R get feathered then get useless very quickly.

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Not the 555rII but I have tried potenza s007, p zero corsa 4, p zero F, and MH racemasters along with the ET street R's and ps4s. Somehow the indy500 worked the best of all these for me. Et street R get feathered then get useless very quickly.
Interesting, will look into those when getting a spare set of street tires. Thanks

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I've tried mp4s, r2s, and now indys. All on factory pp1 wheels, 275/40s. Not much difference between the mp4s and r2s but the indys definitely stick better. I've over looked the indys for a long time thinking they are a "cheaper" tire. Glad I finally tried them out.

Sponsored

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don't street race my car against other people but when I stop at the lights I sometimes feel the urge to launch that baby just because I can. :D

When the car was stock the game was easy - just floor it and watch her go.

Going boosted was game changer, but in a negative way when it comes to a quick launch from a dig. It's really hard to find the right amount of throttle to go fast without loosing traction.

My car has the Edelbrock Stage 1, 735 crank hp and 650 ft lbs. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 285 on 20". Pressure cold 33 PSI, warm 38 PSI.

I won't change tire, size or pressure as my focus is road performance. I just want to get the best of it as things are.

How do guys manage a perfect launch?
With those tires you don't. Mines boosted also and it'll get sideways in third. What's the use having all that power if it won't transfer to the pavement? I've got Gforce Outlaw half shafts on order and a pair of eleven inch rims that I'm putting Nitto305/35 /19 555r2 tires on. It'll be for local driving only but if I run up against something interesting at a stoplight I want performance. The Nitto's will spin a little in first but they hook after that. These cars are a money pit but personally I love em.

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
With those tires you don't. Mines boosted also and it'll get sideways in third. What's the use having all that power if it won't transfer to the pavement? I've got Gforce Outlaw half shafts on order and a pair of eleven inch rims that I'm putting Nitto305/35 /19 555r2 tires on. It'll be for local driving only but if I run up against something interesting at a stoplight I want performance. The Nitto's will spin a little in first but they hook after that. These cars are a money pit but personally I love em.
https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/watch-out-for-nitto-drag-radials-on-the-street.46050/

No, thanks. :D

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'm calling BS on both extremes lol. The nittos hook the same as the mp4s do for the most part. I've ran them both in 275/40r19 and there is no benefit to going to an r2 from the mp4s. I also run 305/45r17s with the r2s and while traction is better they still spin to 60 with low boost so I wouldn't expect to hook until top of 2nd. And that dodge link is not a driver I'd take advice from after reading that. I might have traction issues @650ish but keeping it straight on the hit is easy to achieve with mp4s or r2s.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I don't street race my car against other people but when I stop at the lights I sometimes feel the urge to launch that baby just because I can. :D

Going boosted was game changer, but in a negative way when it comes to a quick launch from a dig. It's really hard to find the right amount of throttle to go fast without loosing traction.

My car has the Edelbrock Stage 1, 735 crank hp and 650 ft lbs. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 285 on 20". Pressure cold 33 PSI, warm 38 PSI.

I won't change tire, size or pressure as my focus is road performance. I just want to get the best of it as things are.

You might want to upgrade to a wider wheel and a 305 or whatever you can fit, and something stickier if you can live with it. I’m conservatively tuned n/a and I can easily spin my 275s. I can’t imagine being boosted. One positive about having some tire spin is you will have less catastrophic drivetrain failures from launching.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
If wheelspin is accompanied by wheelhop, as it was with my boosted Mustang on street tires, it is a great way to create driveline damage.

Last edited:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox

You don't have a combination that will hook well on the street, or at the track for that matter. Plain and simple.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0