Partial PPF question

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Not to hijack the thread - but is it Xpel or bust - or are there other PPF brands that are as good or better?
That's a great question. The only certified shop within a few hours of me is Xpel. Not sure what other offerings there are and how they compare. This is my only option, so not much choice for me. It's xpel or nothing. Lol
Sponsored

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Lots of other brands out there. Clearbra is a competitor. The Boss is wrapped in something else and it's held up for 5+ years. Find something you like.

I think one of the main reasons for Xpel is they have the pieces custom cut for the cars so there isn't any guesswork. Panels get covered and wrapped around the edges when possible.

Go Time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ever since a rock found a way around my 2/3 PPF car a few years ago, I wrap the whole thing. I also do double ply in certain areas like the rockers.

Finch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500(July 8 birthday), 2021 Ranger Tremor
Yes, bite the bullet and do it all. I did not and regret it. Nicked my door already, my fault, but don't think it would have happened had it been covered in ppf. Will get the rest done in the spring before I get her back out.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Does anyone sell pre-cut pieces/kits for the rear quarters for the DIYer?

This area seems to be the most problematic on this body running big, sticky tires on the front, regardless of any type of flap or rock blocker.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Dave: I believe that is very unlikely. People like Xpel guard those patterns pretty aggressively so other shops can't take advantage of their 3D laser generated templates.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Does anyone sell pre-cut pieces/kits for the rear quarters for the DIYer?

This area seems to be the most problematic on this body running big, sticky tires on the front, regardless of any type of flap or rock blocker.
Xpel does, but for the price they charge, you might as well have the installer do it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I've tried to buy them, Tom and at the time, they would only sell through a licensed installer as the downloads are secure and cannot be copied. Then again, that was awhile back so maybe things have changed.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
FYI, for just the area I'm talking (behind the door, flared out portion of the quarter), you're only looking at $170.95 direct through Xpel.

Not bad at all, considering. Other pieces are ridiculously expensive....

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
I'll say it and am prepared for the flaming that will occur...

When you buy a $100k car putting in a couple of grand to protect it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Just like an insurance policy for paint protection.

In my case the car came home, got a basic wash, showed it off to a few friends then straight to the detail shop. Never regretted the bill.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

When you buy a $100k car putting in a couple of grand to protect it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Just like an insurance policy for paint protection.

In my case the car came home, got a basic wash, showed it off to a few friends then straight to the detail shop. Never regretted the bill.
Likewise, I wouldn't expect a flame over that position.......

Saratoga87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Shelby

What brand PPF did you go with and how much coverage did you get?

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
What brand PPF did you go with and how much coverage did you get?
Xpel is what I did. Front of the car, rockers, hood, mirrors, roof bottom rear quarters.

Here's what I'd tell most anyone. Find a detailer you like and trust. See what they want to do and if they'll stand behind it go with it. I use St. Louis Auto Detail and I trust them to do right by me. For 10+ years I've used them for detailing, ceramic coating and PPF.
Sponsored