Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
I hope your luck is better than mine. My installer said my car has the worst factory paint job he has ever seen. Took A LOT of serious pain correction.
I just had XPEL finished yesterday on the front, my installer actually commented on how good my paint was and how he was surprised. Could simply be that the white is a color which hides imperfections better.

My car was in the dealer's showroom and I washed, applied two layers of Liquid Glass on mine. That stuff actually works, you can feel a major difference. However, you do need to use the treatment and claybar to remove all debris before applying the initial coats, which bond to the paint. It's a lot of work but worth it. (This car was surprisingly easy to do....compared to the Trackhawk which I thought would never be finished!)

I had the front XPEL wrapped but plan on having the entire car done possibly next year along with my wife's Trackhawk. I'm planning on keeping these two, so it's a lot of money but well worth it.

I had mine done at Detail Authority in Fairfax, Va. They are a little expensive but do incredible work. (I've probably spent enough there to buy another car....ouch... )

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
My installer took mine off and reinstalled them afterwards, looks perfect
I messaged my guy - cause the car goes in Sunday - and he said he always reuses them and cuts the tape from a blank to match the shape - so I'll go the "reuse" route...

Last edited:

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
I just had XPEL finished yesterday on the front, my installer actually commented on how good my paint was and how he was surprised. Could simply be that the white is a color which hides imperfections better.

My car was in the dealer's showroom and I washed, applied two layers of Liquid Glass on mine. That stuff actually works, you can feel a major difference. However, you do need to use the treatment and claybar to remove all debris before applying the initial coats, which bond to the paint. It's a lot of work but worth it. (This car was surprisingly easy to do....compared to the Trackhawk which I thought would never be finished!)

I had the front XPEL wrapped but plan on having the entire car done possibly next year along with my wife's Trackhawk. I'm planning on keeping these two, so it's a lot of money but well worth it.

I had mine done at Detail Authority in Fairfax, Va. They are a little expensive but do incredible work. (I've probably spent enough there to buy another car....ouch... )
I'm sure it was just my luck! My 2020 Ranger has paint raising and bubbling as well as terrible imperfections as well. Yet the dealer has checked every ranger he has gotten since and all paint has been flawless! Lol!

Glad your was good though! I've never played with liquid glass but I'll def look into that in the future!

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure it was just my luck! My 2020 Ranger has paint raising and bubbling as well as terrible imperfections as well. Yet the dealer has checked every ranger he has gotten since and all paint has been flawless! Lol!

Glad your was good though! I've never played with liquid glass but I'll def look into that in the future!
Sorry to hear that....I highly recommend the liquid glass, it's not made any more (new product is called "Finish First") however you can still find the original on Amazon.

-Chris

Sponsored

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I messaged my guy - cause the car goes in Sunday - and he said he always reuses them and cuts the tape from a blank to math the shape - so I'll go the "reuse" route...
That is what my installer does, I asked if they cut around or apply the XPEL over and he said he removes everything and even applies the XPEL to the original pieces.

However, for the rear desk where I understand it cannot be removed, it may require a new badge or a cut out. I am not sure how they will handle that.

Also, I'm sure everyone knows but the rear deck scratches very very easily. I found that out the hard way when I replaced the badging on my 2019 Mustang GT PP2. I had a small scratch when removing the GT badge and I barely touched the deck.

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Sorry to hear that....I highly recommend the liquid glass, it's not made any more (new product is called "Finish First") however you can still find the original on Amazon.

-Chris
Well I blame my installer. When he quoted me a price, he said he prob wouldn't need to do much correction. He recently did a GT350, GT, and few F150's and said their paint was excellent. So he def jinxed me! Lol

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well I blame my installer. When he quoted me a price, he said he prob wouldn't need to do much correction. He recently did a GT350, GT, and few F150's and said their paint was excellent. So he def jinxed me! Lol
...yeah...each time I hear about someone having an issue with their car, I hesitate saying mine is "ok" as I feel I will jinx myself.

Can you make a case with Ford on the quality? That is not something you should have to pay for on a new vehicle. Before I sign, I go over the car and inspect the paint to look for any issues, scratches, or anything that might stand out. Anything you're "ok" with can be used to negotiate on the price.

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
...yeah...each time I hear about someone having an issue with their car, I hesitate saying mine is "ok" as I feel I will jinx myself.

Can you make a case with Ford on the quality? That is not something you should have to pay for on a new vehicle. Before I sign, I go over the car and inspect the paint to look for any issues, scratches, or anything that might stand out. Anything you're "ok" with can be used to negotiate on the price.
Well when I had my car delivered I requested nothing be touched. All plastic was still in place. All stickers left on windows. No wash. Nothing. It was a filthy mess and was left that way until it got to my guy. So I wasn't able to go over it that well. Other than, no major scratches, nics, etc were apparent or jumped out at me.

He said it's nothing he can't fix. Just tons imperfections, minor scratches/swirls, etc in clear coat and black bits. But it was also shipped backwards and on top front of truck... exactly how sticker on window says NOT to transport it. So that may have contributed to some of the extra correction needed on rear bumper, deck lid, trunk area.

I would make a case. But like I said, the paint is literally bubbling up and coming off the rear quarter panels of my 2020 Ranger and they are doing nothing about it.

So I don't expect much for some clear coat scratches and imperfections.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well when I had my car delivered I requested nothing be touched. All plastic was still in place. All stickers left on windows. No wash. Nothing. It was a filthy mess and was left that way until it got to my guy. So I wasn't able to go over it that well. Other than, no major scratches, nics, etc were apparent or jumped out at me.

He said it's nothing he can't fix. Just tons imperfections, minor scratches/swirls, etc in clear coat and black bits. But it was also shipped backwards and on top front of truck... exactly how sticker on window says NOT to transport it. So that may have contributed to some of the extra correction needed on rear bumper, deck lid, trunk area.

I would make a case. But like I said, the paint is literally bubbling up and coming off the rear quarter panels of my 2020 Ranger and they are doing nothing about it.

So I don't expect much for some clear coat scratches and imperfections.
I remember your post....with a picture of your car on top, backwards. It's things like this that make me hesitate even taking mine to a dealer for an oil change or other maintenance.

I am still in the process of making that determination though.

Good to hear yours is an "easy" (relative) fix. Post up some pics when it is done!

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
I remember your post....with a picture of your car on top, backwards. It's things like this that make me hesitate even taking mine to a dealer for an oil change or other maintenance.

I am still in the process of making that determination though.

Good to hear yours is an "easy" (relative) fix. Post up some pics when it is done!
Yeah my dealer is the one who actually sent me the photos. He was not happy about it!

Anyway, as for service, I would just ask if your dealer has a tech that is certified for Shelby's/Ford Performance vehicles. I don't believe every dealer has one. Doesn't mean they don't have experience with them or can't work on it. But that would be something worth looking into.

I just know my dealer has a tech he sent away to get some sort of special certification for the Shelby's, Roush, and FP vehicles.
Sponsored