Sponsored

Ceramic coating and PPF questions

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
Anyone know a reputable ceramic coat installer in the Cleveland / Akron area of Ohio?

More general question: Is ceramic coating worth it? I won’t track the car much. Strip occasionally. Mostly cruise.

Potentially stupid question: can you ceramic coat over PPF or PPF over ceramic coat or are you defeating the purpose of the ceramic coat at that point.

Thank you for any inputs.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Anyone know a reputable ceramic coat installer in the Cleveland / Akron area of Ohio?

More general question: Is ceramic coating worth it? I won’t track the car much. Strip occasionally. Mostly cruise.

Potentially stupid question: can you ceramic coat over PPF or PPF over ceramic coat or are you defeating the purpose of the ceramic coat at that point.

Thank you for any inputs.
Ceramic under PPF is bad because it prevents the PPF from adhering

Now that I may have been of some use, I'll ride your coattails because I have the same question about ceramic over PPF:

I had full PPF (Suntek) on my last car; no ceramic. I am about to get PPF on my current car, and like you am considering ceramic as well. However, I have never gotten a straight answer to the question.

Logic behind the question
-PPF is self-healing. You can press your fingernail into it, make a mark, an indentation, and watch the PPF restore itself
- Ceramic is a hard coating that is not meant to give
- So, it would stand to reason that if you put ceramic on top of PPF it would affect the self-healing quality and increase the likelihood of chips, etc
- It would also seem like you would have a tough time removing or touching up ceramic on top of PPF without damaging the PPF

Needless to say, that is just my (uninformed) logic. Thanks for throwing it out there. Will be watching alongside you for the answer

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic under PPF is bad because it prevents the PPF from adhering

Now that I may have been of some use, I'll ride your coattails because I have the same question about ceramic over PPF:

I had full PPF (Suntek) on my last car; no ceramic. I am about to get PPF on my current car, and like you am considering ceramic as well. However, I have never gotten a straight answer to the question.

Logic behind the question
-PPF is self-healing. You can press your fingernail into it, make a mark, an indentation, and watch the PPF restore itself
- Ceramic is a hard coating that is not meant to give
- So, it would stand to reason that if you put ceramic on top of PPF it would affect the self-healing quality and increase the likelihood of chips, etc
- It would also seem like you would have a touch time removing or touching up ceramic on top of PPF without damaging the PPF

Needless to say, that is just my (uninformed) logic. Thanks for throwing it out there. Will be watching alongside you for the answer
The self healing properties of Expel Ultimate PPF is still active, even with the ceramic on top. I can't speak to the science of how, but I can tell you with certainty it does still self heal. My installer assured me that it does, then showed me first hand how light scratches disappear in front of my eyes. Lets just say its magic :clap:

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
I’ll have PPF put on but would like to do my own ceramic. Does the ceramic have to be specific to the PPF brand

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
I’ll have PPF put on but would like to do my own ceramic. Does the ceramic have to be specific to the PPF brand
No necessarily but for what you pay for PPF you’ll probably be safer using their ceramic.
I haven’t done PPF on one of my cars but ceramic is awesome.
-J

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I really wouldn't know. I do know Expel states their ceramic is made to work on their PPF, but how much of that statement is just to keep people buying their products? Personally, Expel is among the best, and I wanted that brand anyway.

SISCOKID09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT500, 2014 Roush Stage 3 Convertible
DocGT

I have the same questions, only look for an installer on the other side of the state about 30 miles north of Dayton. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'll throw in my two cents.

A ceramic coating is far too thin to affect the self-healing property of film so that's not a worry. Secondly, as Jaime said, many shops have found that putting a coat or two of ceramic on film will give it the hydroscopic properties of ceramic. In addition, you get a deeper shine.

As far as brand, if you're having it done and the shop recommends one, go for it. If not, just watch a few vids from places like Chicago Auto Pros or Obsessed Garage. An hour watching some of those and anyone should be good to go.

I have seen some vehicles that have been coated-only and I was impressed. I have had a half dozen vehicles partially filmed in the past and had planned to film this car but my guy wasn't able to do it so I'm now going to coat it myself. Application is nothing from what I can see on The Toob, it's the paint prep that is all the work. I think anyone can apply ceramic as long as they either have the paint corrected first or, they can do it themselves. This is the key to the shine.

I also plan to "learn" on another vehicle first. After what I've seen online, application is simply a matter of being OCD careful to get it even.

We shall see I guess.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The self healing properties of Expel Ultimate PPF is still active, even with the ceramic on top. I can't speak to the science of how, but I can tell you with certainty it does still self heal. My installer assured me that it does, then showed me first hand how light scratches disappear in front of my eyes. Lets just say its magic :clap:
No science needed. Your word is good as ceramic gold. Thanks much!

OP
OP
DocGT

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you every one for your replies.

Looks like I will go with ceramic over PPF.
To get the work done right, I don’t mind traveling.

Can’t find any great reviews in Cleveland.
Not sure if Columbus has any choice places to get this work done.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Finch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500(July 8 birthday), 2021 Ranger Tremor
Thank you very one for your replies.

Looks like I will go with ceramic over PPF.
To get the work done right, I don’t mind traveling.

Can’t find any great reviews in Cleveland.
Not sure if Columbus has any choice places to get this work done.

Any thoughts?
Bring it over to Latrobe PA, Blackout Tinting. Check them out on YouTube.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Any thoughts?
Doc: My nephew is a car guy and he and his parents just moved back to Stow after spending a couple years in Columbus.

Consequently, he's pretty familiar with both those areas as well as Cleveland. I sent him an email and I'll letcha know if he has any rec's.

OP
OP
DocGT

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doc: My nephew is a car guy and he and his parents just moved back to Stow after spending a couple years in Columbus.

Consequently, he's pretty familiar with both those areas as well as Cleveland. I sent him an email and I'll letcha know if he has any rec's.
Great. Thank you!
Sponsored