Sponsored

Partial PPF question

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Hey guys,
I'm looking to do partial PPF once I get my car and full ceramic coat.

After talking with my local PPF guy, who just did a GT500 and GT350 this summer, he recommended doing front end, rockers, and strips on the front of rear quarter panels where it bulges out. As these are the high impact areas. I explained that I bought the JLT foam inserts and Jaegerbrothers stone/splash guards. But he still felt all theose areas should be covered.

I'm ok with front end and rockers but concerned the seams of the "strips" on rear quarter panels will drive my OCD crazy. However to keep it seamless I'd have start at A pillar and run it back and cover entire rear quarter panel. Which at that point I'm pretty much doing the whole car except trunk and rear bumper.

What are you guys doing? Are seams super noticable? Those of you who are doing front end only, are you seeing a lot of chips and dings on front portion of rear quarter panels?

Thanks for any input and help!
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hey guys,
I'm looking to do partial PPF once I get my car and full ceramic coat.

After talking with my local PPF guy, who just did a GT500 and GT350 this summer, he recommended doing front end, rockers, and strips on the front of rear quarter panels where it bulges out. As these are the high impact areas. I explained that I bought the JLT foam inserts and Jaegerbrothers stone/splash guards. But he still felt all theose areas should be covered.

I'm ok with front end and rockers but concerned the seams of the "strips" on rear quarter panels will drive my OCD crazy. However to keep it seamless I'd have start at A pillar and run it back and cover entire rear quarter panel. Which at that point I'm pretty much doing the whole car except trunk and rear bumper.

What are you guys doing? Are seams super noticable? Those of you who are doing front end only, are you seeing a lot of chips and dings on front portion of rear quarter panels?

Thanks for any input and help!
I did full xpel. It really comes down to money and how long you keep the car. You'll have to deal with the OCD or xpel the whole car.

Sorry I couldn't give you better news

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
I have a partial XPEL on the rear quarters. Not very visible at all to me especially when the car is clean.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have a partial XPEL on the rear quarters. Not very visible at all to me especially when the car is clean.
The problem with partial xpel is that the edges collect dirt over time. The 2 Rs i have are both partial xpel and that is certainly the cheaper way to go, but not the optimal.

Another thing I noticed on my base R is that Xpel has a slight tint to it. Enough that it affects the color when you compare the sections that have xpel vs the ones that dont.

Sponsored

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
The problem with partial xpel is that the edges collect dirt over time. The 2 Rs i have are both partial xpel and that is certainly the cheaper way to go, but not the optimal.

Another thing I noticed on my base R is that Xpel has a slight tint to it. Enough that it affects the color when you compare the sections that have xpel vs the ones that dont.
Yep, definitely agree. I try to keep the visible seam as clean as possible. Also I've noticed the films must have evolved over the past 5-6 years compared to my old Viper - with mine it's _really_ hard to tell the difference between covered / non-covered panels.

The partial rear quarter panel seam won't even show in pictures:

IMG_0187.jpg

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Yep, definitely agree. I try to keep the visible seam as clean as possible. Also I've noticed the films must have evolved over the past 5-6 years compared to my old Viper - with mine it's _really_ hard to tell the difference between covered / non-covered panels.

The partial rear quarter panel seam won't even show in pictures:

IMG_0187.jpg
Wow that's really impressive! You definitely can't see seam in picture. I didn't realize the ppf had a slight tint to it though. Really don't want the color to be different where ppf is.

But again, I don't see any difference on your car. Looks really good!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
TMK, PPF is not normally tinted, at least I've never seen the film. On some colors, it does deepen the saturation but no change in hue that I've ever seen.

As for where to apply it for a partial, pretend you are three little rocks sailing along horizontally, six inches, eighteen inches, and thirty six inches from the road surface with a closure rate at least equal to the vehicle speed and then ask yourself, where would those little bastids hit?

That'll tell you where to film. :-)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
TMK, PPF is not normally tinted, at least I've never seen the film. On some colors, it does deepen the saturation but no change in hue that I've ever seen.

As for where to apply it for a partial, pretend you are three little rocks sailing along horizontally, six inches, eighteen inches, and thirty six inches from the road surface with a closure rate at least equal to the vehicle speed and then ask yourself, where would those little bastids hit?

That'll tell you where to film. :-)
The difference is most pronounced on a white car. My base R has partial PPF and you can see the difference in color where the PPF starts and ends. Darker colors? you probably wouldn't notice.

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
As others have mentioned I'd say the color of the car will show the edges more than others. I have Xpel over almost the entire car. My reason wasn't for protection from sun but rather protection from the track debris.

On my Boss 302 I can tell you the parts of the car that are treated clean so much better and easier than those that aren't.

Wanted to do this on my wife's truck when we bought it (just the front) and she didn't want it. Sure enough rock chips. It is a truck but still I think this would have helped.

Sponsored

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have a partial on my rear fenders. Partial works perfectly for finders only paid 100 per side for them....cant be seen unless its pointed out to you.

Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (CFTP), others
My car is FP blue, and did a "partial" (2/3rds) PPF from front to rear. Full front, roof, doors, A pillars, and the rear panels. You cannot see the seams in photos and have to point them out in sunlight. Car was also ceramic coated, which brings the shine, but not necessarily armor. While PPF prevents chips, it's not 100% and I have several small chips already, mostly in the front and on the hood, which are visible when looking for them, much to my dismay. Without the PPF, the chips would likely be significantly worse.

These pics were shot on a mostly sunny November day in Florida; you can follow the sun tracing the body panels right over the where the PPF seams are located.

20210207_142553.jpg

20210207_142525.jpg

20210207_142622.jpg

20210207_142643.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Not to hijack the thread - but is it Xpel or bust - or are there other PPF brands that are as good or better?
Its all about the same. Suntek has less orange peel, but the adhesives arent as good.
Sponsored