Sponsored

2020 GT500 PPF

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Has anyone been able to get a PPF Scheduled for their car, Everyone I have talked to said that they dont have the pattern for it yet
Sponsored

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Has anyone been able to get a PPF Scheduled for their car, Everyone I have talked to said that they dont have the pattern for it yet
Its better to goto a Top Shop that does not us patterns and does custom installs:like:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Mine goes in on January 6 for a complete wrap.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
the5: Nope, no patterns yet. I'm gonna do paint correction if needed, until they show up.

Yes, an experienced installer can do custom installs but they are much more difficult and it will cost more but I wouldn't say it's "better." Any edges that can't be tucked will have to be cut and if those are not done with a plotter, they're often uneven.

I have installed a lot of PPF and I'm going to wait until the patterns are available.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
After seeing the damage 7 years of rocks and chips has on my hood and front end.... I think I'm convinced of getting a full front wrap. Hopefully by march/april timeframe all the appropriate resources will be out.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Dev: Yep, filming the front end is almost essential due to the abuse that area takes. Sadly, PPF is not bulletproof and in those seven years, you'd still have had some chipped paint, just a lot less than with no film. That reminds me, time to check on the availability of touch-up paint for the new colors.

Edit: Found only one site with 2020 Ford colors and they did have many of those for the 500. Alas, no Rapid Red.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Dev: Yep, filming the front end is almost essential due to the abuse that area takes. Sadly, PPF is not bulletproof and in those seven years, you'd still have had some chipped paint, just a lot less than with no film. That reminds me, time to check on the availability of touch-up paint for the new colors.

Edit: Found only one site with 2020 Ford colors and they did have many of those for the 500. Alas, no Rapid Red.
Try Lucid Red and Red Carpet. One is a Lincoln color not sure about the other, different names, same color.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Try Lucid Red and Red Carpet.
Earl: Is there ANYTHING you DON'T know?! A walking Mr. Google, I swear. <smiling>

I DID see one or both of those colors and THOUGHT they looked mighty close and now I know why.

Thanks a bunch, Earl.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
My question is....if you have the vinyl over the top stripes, can you PPF over those? Or how does it work?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Tony: I can only speak about my own experience with my '14 but my friend, (an Xpel-trained provider,) and I did the front, (lights, bumper, etc.,) the hood, a 12" piece on the leading edge of the roof, and both front fenders.

To answer your question though, yes, PPF can be applied over vinyl stripes but it will leave a slight air gap between the painted surface and the outer edges of the vinyl and this gap is visible to the eye.

I wasn't happy but I tolerated it...for awhile. Ultimately, we opted to remove the hood film and hood/bumper stripes, I purchased new stripe pieces, filmed the hood and bumper areas again, then put the stripes down over the PPF. That was a much better solution, at least for the hood, but this precludes allowing the PPF to protect the vinyl.

This experience was the main reason I bit the bullet on painted stripes.

My plan for the new car at the moment is to do the same areas but this time, the full roof, trunk, and rear bumper areas where the painted stripes reside. It won't be cheap by any means but it will give me SOME insurance over chips/scratches.

ryan-shelby-photo.jpg

Sponsored

bendensez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
My question is....if you have the vinyl over the top stripes, can you PPF over those? Or how does it work?
I had my installer do separate pieces over the stripes on my GT350. As KB says, if you do one piece over the stripes and paint, you are likely to get a line of air on either side that will be visible. My installer highly recommended that I do separate pieces over the stripes for that reason.

If your installer is talented, it will look great. You’d be hard pressed to tell my stripes are even covered unless inspecting very closely. They are protected this way.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I had my installer do separate pieces over the stripes on my GT350. As KB says, if you do one piece over the stripes and paint, you are likely to get a line of air on either side that will be visible. My installer highly recommended that I do separate pieces over the stripes for that reason.

If your installer is talented, it will look great. You’d be hard pressed to tell my stripes are even covered unless inspecting very closely. They are protected this way.
my 350 is getting ppf entire front 1/2, side skirts, front of rear 1/2, front part of roof and a pillars...did paint correction, which i, sooooo happy because they found a ton of imperfections on the hood after clay barring, then ceramic coating. Been there for a week because they do it right.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Brendan: Yep, that idea would solve the air gap problem but it would not be easy to line up those pieces. And, if the film pieces for the stripes are identical in size to the stripes, another narrow piece would be needed between them. All of these "edges" have the potential to get dirt and debris under them. Less butt joints the better. Glad you had a good installer as that feat was not easy.

Paint correction is also a must before filming, IMHO as once the film is on, no more correction is possible.

Film isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and if you look at any filmed car, you'll eventually find some irregularities, it's just the nature of the beast. But, your precious paint will be moderately protected from small rocks. However, even the best PPF isn't an invisible force field around the car and bigger stones will punch right through into the paint.

BTW, I also recommend doing the mirrors. I've never had any chips on my A pillars so we didn't do those and won't on the '20.

bendensez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Brendan: Yep, that idea would solve the air gap problem but it would not be easy to line up those pieces. And, if the film pieces for the stripes are identical in size to the stripes, another narrow piece would be needed between them. All of these "edges" have the potential to get dirt and debris under them. Less butt joints the better. Glad you had a good installer as that feat was not easy.

Paint correction is also a must before filming, IMHO as once the film is on, no more correction is possible.

Film isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and if you look at any filmed car, you'll eventually find some irregularities, it's just the nature of the beast. But, your precious paint will be moderately protected from small rocks. However, even the best PPF isn't an invisible force field around the car and bigger stones will punch right through into the paint.

BTW, I also recommend doing the mirrors. I've never had any chips on my A pillars so we didn't do those and won't on the '20.
KB. Looking forward to you guys getting your GT500’s.

Agreed on correction before PPF.

On installing PPF over the stripes as individual pieces...that’s where the talent of the installer comes in . He was telling me that you can’t count on the vinyl stripes being of consistent width. It depends on how and where they may have been stretched in installation. The same stretching as necessary to locally adjust the width needs to be done to the PPF as it’s laid down to make it align perfectly with the edge of the stripe. Same goes for that thin strip between the stripes. I hadn’t realized all that before the install. Once he explained all that to me after the fact, I had a new appreciation of the work that went into installing the PPF on my car.

Good call on the mirrors. I also did the back of the mirrors and leading edge of the roof. In the ~45 days I was able to drive my new GT350 before winter set in, I had taken a rock on the back of the mirror. The PPF was ripped, but the back of the mirror was fine.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I am going with one piece complete wrap I would rather maybe see a line between the edge of stripe than have MANY seams that can lift and collect dirt. My car has white stripes, from what I have heard, the line is almost invisible if using white stripes. Either way, i would have to be less cautious with complete coverage so that's the trade off for me.
Sponsored