Sponsored

P0019 code ??? Whipple/OPG install

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
How did you get the crank pulley off the first time?

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Bent valves, broken pistons.
Sounds like that’s after the fact. Like would I hear any unusual noises or anything like that. Cause it ran pretty smooth.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Just screwed it off with a torque wrench. It didn’t move at all lol
Torque wrench? If I caught you using my torque wrench as a breaker bar I would whomp you with a knotted plow line.

What makes you think you got the timing wrong?

Sponsored

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’m kind of curious about this. Let’s say your RH was taken off appropriately, then your LH was taken off with the keyway at 4 o’clock instead 5 o’clock as they’re very close. Then you put everything back on appropriately and hand turn the engine without any issues. Would this small of a difference throw timing codes? How much can the cam position sensors and ecu allow as the keyway position isn’t going to be 100% exact but very close depending on your subjective angle. Maybe this is what happened? Enough to throw a code but not ruin valves / pistons

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
M
Torque wrench? If I caught you using my torque wrench as a breaker bar I would whomp you with a knotted plow line.

What makes you think you got the timing wrong?
My mistake. I meant my breaker bar. Sorry. I’m replying to these and working.

but because of the check engine code I got. And I vaguely remember wheni Installed the DS chain, it looked like it skipped a link when I slightly turned it to take slack out.

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I’m kind of curious about this. Let’s say your RH was taken off appropriately, then your LH was taken off with the keyway at 4 o’clock instead 5 o’clock as they’re very close. Then you put everything back on appropriately and hand turn the engine without any issues. Would this small of a difference throw timing codes? How much can the cam position sensors and ecu allow as the keyway position isn’t going to be 100% exact but very close depending on your subjective angle. Maybe this is what happened? Enough to throw a code but not ruin valves / pistons
im wondering the same thing too. That’s why I want to data log it and see if the numbers are that far off.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
If there is any question, I would tear it back down and re-time it. I would not want to risk it.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
its a auto btw. To clarify. It turns the engine over. It doesn’t just spin freely. I have a impact.
Ah disregard my comment then. I thought that you meant the pulley spun freely on the crankshaft.

Sponsored

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
As long
As long as the colored links line up to the marks on the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket then you are ok. 5 o'clock position is just a generalization.

OP-
After you put the left hand chain back on did you turn the crank basically one full revolution and then keep going until the key is at the 12 'oclock position before you put the right chain on?

Also how did you get the pulley back on? The stock bolt isn't long enough. The correct procedure is to use a slightly longer bolt and tighten it until the pulley gets on far enough that you can use the stock (or better yet an ARP) bolt. I didn't have a longer one at the time so tapped the pulley on with a deadblow for a bit until the bolt threads can screw into the crankshaft.

If you have a strap wrench (or fab your broken belt into one) you can put it around the pulley. That might give you enough resistance to loosen the bolt without turning the engine.

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
As long

As long as the colored links line up to the marks on the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket then you are ok. 5 o'clock position is just a generalization.

OP-
After you put the left hand chain back on did you turn the crank basically one full revolution and then keep going until the key is at the 12 'oclock position before you put the right chain on?

Also how did you get the pulley back on? The stock bolt isn't long enough. The correct procedure is to use a slightly longer bolt and tighten it until the pulley gets on far enough that you can use the stock (or better yet an ARP) bolt. I didn't have a longer one at the time so tapped the pulley on with a deadblow for a bit until the bolt threads can screw into the crankshaft.

If you have a strap wrench (or fab your broken belt into one) you can put it around the pulley. That might give you enough resistance to loosen the bolt without turning the engine.
yea I was thinking of just using my broken belt and tie it around the pulley and something else to Take the bolt off.

I used spacers on the original bolt and kept on going smaller until I couldn’t anymore to get the pully flushed as I could.

yes I did exactly that. But I remember when doing the DS chain it looked like it jumped a tooth when I turned it to take slack out of the chain

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
ok I did some data logging at idle to check my timing for the P0019 code. Does it look off ? I’m not even 100% sure if I even data log the right stuff. Thanks !

1BCA4AF9-3650-4AD3-A6E0-36EEDA97F560.jpeg

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Did you do a crank relearn? When I installed my whipple and didn't touch the OPGs I got some sort of code and had to do a crank relearn and then all was good.

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Did you do a crank relearn? When I installed my whipple and didn't touch the OPGs I got some sort of code and had to do a crank relearn and then all was good.
not yet. I’ll try it on my lunch brake and report back
Sponsored