grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey guys,
I am installing opg/cs combo in my 17. I was reinstalling the RH side tensioner and got interrupted while torquing it down. I did verify the timing marks before torquing the the tensioner. When I came back I started turning the motor over. I then realized that I did not pull the pin from the tensioner. There seem to be plenty of tension in the chain being I had to really press the guide to get the bolts started on the tensioner. My question is could this have allowed the chain to move a tooth? Also is there a number of turns of the crank that would bring the timing links back to the marks on the CS and cam sprocket? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Doubt it jumped a tooth without tension, but yes it will eventually roll around and line up the marks again, but it’s some crazy number of revolutions.

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Doubt it jumped a tooth without tension, but yes it will eventually roll around and line up the marks again, but it’s some crazy number of revolutions.
I’m sure I am just being paranoid. I just really don’t want to pull all of this back apart after I finish the Whipple install and start it up.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this helps given your situation, but this vid explains the assembly on the timing quite well. Take note at 16:40 where he corrects the procedure after timing the drivers side. Timing mark at 12, Keyway at 5, 1 full rotation clockwise to put keyway back at 5, then keep rotating clockwise until keyway is at 12, then install pass. side chain on marks.

Another vid explaining the same.

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Not sure if this helps given your situation, but this vid explains the assembly on the timing quite well. Take note at 16:40 where he corrects the procedure after timing the drivers side. Timing mark at 12, Keyway at 5, 1 full rotation clockwise to put keyway back at 5, then keep rotating clockwise until keyway is at 12, then install pass. side chain on marks.

Another vid explaining the same.
I followed this exact procedure and everything was good before I got called away. Then I came back and turned the crank over a couple times and realized the tenioner wasn't released. So I was just looking for a way to verify the timing before buttoning it up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was thinking about it and if the blue links are 180 from each other on the chain you could possibly count the number of links each blue Link has traveled from each timing mark. If they are equal it seems it would be right. You guys think that would work?

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It would seem to me if the colored links on the chain are on the marks located at the cam phasers and crank sprocket you should be good. it seems a bit foolproof as to how the chains should be on there.

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It would seem to me if the colored links on the chain are on the marks located at the cam phasers and crank sprockets you should be good. it seems a bit foolproof as to how the chains should be on there.
The initial setup is easy but once you turn the motor over the links no longer match up. I think it would take 50+ turns for the links to make a full circle. Like I was saying earlier I think I was just being parinoid about turning the motor without releasing the tensioner.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The initial setup is easy but once you turn the motor over the links no longer match up. I think it would take 50+ turns for the links to make a full circle. Like I was saying earlier I think I was just being parinoid about turning the motor without releasing the tensioner.
Got ya. I guess you could count links and teeth to see if you went backwards if they'd align again, just for piece of mind... Seems unlikely to skip a tooth even without tension turning by hand.

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Got ya. I guess you could count links and teeth to see if you went backwards if they'd align again, just for piece of mind... Seems unlikely to skip a tooth even without tension turning by hand.
Thanks for the input, I have been sitting around waiting on my Whipple kit to be delivered so I ended up just replaying the whole job in my head second guessing myself. I am just ready to button this thing up and go for a ride.

Sponsored

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input, I have been sitting around waiting on my Whipple kit to be delivered so I ended up just replaying the whole job in my head second guessing myself. I am just ready to button this thing up and go for a ride.
Nice! Just ordered my whipple a week ago. Starting to get prepped myself. :like:

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Ever figure this out going thru same 2018 f150 Coyote Whipple

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I literally went through the same ocd recently when I did my opg and whipple install. I worked on it a few hours a day in my garage over several weeks due to the stupid heat and humidity in south Louisiana, so I had plenty nights thinking about those damn links. I replaced all the timing components with a new timing set. Let me tell you, my asshole was puckered on that first crank. Especially when I saw smoke coming from the engine, which was just coolant burning off the headers. BUT, everything turned out great and no issues after 2 months :)

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Am going thru same issue 2018 F150 removed pass side no issues driver side was a little worried cause the 5 o’clock pos didn’t look right so I rotated it and the next time at 5 o’clock looked ok removed it no issues. Went back the next morning and now the passenger side L is straight up not the R ? Thinking it jumped any help appreciated thx
Sponsored