Sponsored

Ford Forged Crank Sprocket / Timing Gear

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Random thought here about the whole idea of doing OPG/CS (I have them in my motor)...

Does anyone feel confident enough in the stock OPG/CS that if that same person who would choose NOT to put them in their stock motor...would they still run the stock OPG/CS if they put a built short block in the car? More of a curiosity thing for me. I have them in my motor and would obviously put them in the built motor as well. Just curious about what everyone else thinks haha

I imagine the person willing to go through the labor of building an engine would put billet gears in while it was apart rather than tearing into an otherwise perfectly running engine to install them.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Although, if Ford is putting them on CobraJets and GT500, ...mmmmaybe they have data that says this is needed?

I would like some bold official print that these are what goes into Cobra Jets rather than making that assumption. AFAIK the CJ gets billet gears and sprockets, not forged.

OP
OP
sigintel

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I would like some bold official print that these are what goes into Cobra Jets rather than making that assumption. AFAIK the CJ gets billet gears and sprockets, not forged.
Me too. Let me know what you find out. Call Watson and ask if they might be switching to the new forging. Im too busy.

Keep in mind:
'Billet' gears are cut from a forged cylindrical billet, then machined, then wire EDM, then case hardened and/or heat treated.
The "billet" forging process (and grain flow process that adds strength) stops at forging the cylindrical billet shape.

The Ford forged gears are completely forged, not cut out of a billet forging. This extends the forging process into shaping the gear.
This requires much higher capital investment and equipment. Doubt Ford would spend way more money to produce weaker parts.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
I lost my motor the first year I had it after Whipple street driving only. Riding dirty didn't work for me.
You had an aftermarket balancer, not a stock one when that happened.

I've put around 30k street miles on my daily driver with the whipple with an untouched motor. It's been to the track multiple times with rev limiter raised in the tune.

Tony

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You had an aftermarket balancer, not a stock one when that happened.

I've put around 30k street miles on my daily driver with the whipple with an untouched motor. It's been to the track multiple times with rev limiter raised in the tune.

Tony
also manual transmission

Sponsored

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Got shipping confirmation today on my ~$25 Ford Forged Timing Gear.
Yup, $25...
Not $250...
I assume its the first GT500 part to come available.

I think WBL (forum vendor, Mike) locked in a few extra pieces in case the price jumps up or stock drops since this is an amazing deal compared to $200+ TG from TSS, MMR, or Boundary.

Anyone else snagging one of these?

EDIT:

It is NOT factory sintered/powder:explode: metal. It is factory FORGED:rockon: (mmmmaaaybe:lipssealed: from :question:GT500 sourcing as they are preparing for production engine assembly?).

LINK IS NOW LIVE:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6306-M50A
"This crankshaft sprocket is designed for race applications. This forged steel crankshaft sprocket is approximately 5x stronger than the factory powdered metal sprocket found on 2015-2017 5.0L engines and offers enthusiasts peace of mind. The factory powdered metal sprocket works effectively in stock applications but when additional horsepower, RPM, and/or the stress caused by belt mounted power adders or accessories are added-this sprocket can help to avoid a costly rebuild."

Huge thanks to :flag:Mike R at Autonation WhiteBearLake for acquiring a batch with us in mind.
You can PM him @fordsvtparts
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/members/fordsvtparts.17997/
Did you put this gear on a 2018 Mustang?

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Its on a 2017 motor swapped into a 2016.
Check w FRPP for 2018? Not sure if same or diff.
I think there is another part number for predator crank if you are building one.
Checked with Ford performance they said this sprocket is on all 2018/2019 Mustang GT’s. Prior 2018 they were made with powder metal. Now they are forged steel. Should have this # XR3E on it, which means forged. So it is a direct replacement for 2018/2019 mustangs.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I have a crank sprocket with Ford part
KR3E-6360-AA- I think it is what I got when I ordered the Ford billet crank gear .
With the K designation it may be a GT 500 part .
Anyone know for sure ?
Sponsored

Last edited: