Opg install/ verifying timing

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Am going thru same issue 2018 F150 removed pass side no issues driver side was a little worried cause the 5 o’clock pos didn’t look right so I rotated it and the next time at 5 o’clock looked ok removed it no issues. Went back the next morning and now the passenger side L is straight up not the R ? Thinking it jumped any help appreciated thx
If you follow the workshop manual its almost fool proof
whoa wait that doesnt sound right at all. you rotate the key way and check passenger side R is near 12 oclock. if it is remove chain. then rotate to 5 oclock, verify drivers side L is near 2 oclock. For the mustang at least
Sponsored

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hey guys,
I am installing opg/cs combo in my 17. I was reinstalling the RH side tensioner and got interrupted while torquing it down. I did verify the timing marks before torquing the the tensioner. When I came back I started turning the motor over. I then realized that I did not pull the pin from the tensioner. There seem to be plenty of tension in the chain being I had to really press the guide to get the bolts started on the tensioner. My question is could this have allowed the chain to move a tooth? Also is there a number of turns of the crank that would bring the timing links back to the marks on the CS and cam sprocket? Thanks in advance!
OP: I would back up and start from scratch. You just can't take the chance. Good Luck

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
If you follow the workshop manual its almost fool proof
whoa wait that doesnt sound right at all. you rotate the key way and check passenger side R is near 12 oclock. if it is remove chain. then rotate to 5 oclock, verify drivers side L is near 2 oclock. For the mustang at least
yes all correct everything went exactly like that but now that I e returnedsome Hours later to finish the passenger right side L is straight up?? Must have jumped

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP: I would back up and start from scratch. You just can't take the chance. Good Luck
What is the procedure to start from 0 scratch ? Thanks any and all help appreciated

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
What is the procedure to start from 0 scratch ? Thanks any and all help appreciated
Their are plenty of videos of replacing the timing chain we hich is the procedure you want. I can look up in the Manual and copy the procedure but watching a you tube video I feel is worth a thousand words.

Sponsored

BigD94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - PP1 - Manual
Am going thru same issue 2018 F150 removed pass side no issues driver side was a little worried cause the 5 o’clock pos didn’t look right so I rotated it and the next time at 5 o’clock looked ok removed it no issues. Went back the next morning and now the passenger side L is straight up not the R ? Thinking it jumped any help appreciated thx
The timing procedure is one of the easier parts of this install. Follow the shop manual and you'll be fine.

Removal
  1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.
  2. Verify the timing mark on the RH (passenger) VCT unit is on top, if not, rotate the crankshaft clockwise one complete revolution so the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.
  3. Remove the bolts and the RH primary timing chain tensioner.
  4. Remove the RH timing chain tensioner arm.
  5. Remove the bolt and the RH timing chain guide.
  6. Remove the RH timing chain.
  7. With the RH timing chain removed, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 5 o'clock position.
  8. Remove the bolts and the LH (driver) primary timing chain tensioner.
  9. Remove the LH timing chain tensioner arm.
  10. Remove the bolt and the LH timing chain guide.
  11. Remove the LH timing chain.
Installation
  1. Install the LH timing chain.
    • Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the LH VCT assembly.
    • Align the remaining colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket.
  2. Install the LH timing chain guide and bolt. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  3. Install the LH timing chain tensioner arm.
  4. Install LH primary timing chain tensioner
    • Compress the primary timing chain tensioner plunger, using an edge of a vise.
    • Install a suitable pin into the hole of the tensioner housing to hold the plunger in place during installation.
  5. Install the LH primary timing chain tensioner and bolts. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  6. Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.
  7. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise one complete revolution (keyway back to 5 o'clock)
  8. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.
  9. Install the RH timing chain.
    • Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the RH VCT assembly.
    • Align the remaining colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket.
  10. Install the RH timing chain guide and bolt. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  11. Install the RH timing chain tensioner arm.
  12. Install RH primary timing chain tensioner
    • Install a suitable pin into the hole of the tensioner housing to hold the plunger in place during installation.
  13. Install the RH primary timing chain tensioner and bolts. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  14. Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.
Always be turning the crank clockwise. Do not forget the complete revolution before going back to install the RH chain. Follow the steps to a T and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The timing procedure is one of the easier parts of this install. Follow the shop manual and you'll be fine.

Removal
  1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.
  2. Verify the timing mark on the RH (passenger) VCT unit is on top, if not, rotate the crankshaft clockwise one complete revolution so the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.
  3. Remove the bolts and the RH primary timing chain tensioner.
  4. Remove the RH timing chain tensioner arm.
  5. Remove the bolt and the RH timing chain guide.
  6. Remove the RH timing chain.
  7. With the RH timing chain removed, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 5 o'clock position.
  8. Remove the bolts and the LH (driver) primary timing chain tensioner.
  9. Remove the LH timing chain tensioner arm.
  10. Remove the bolt and the LH timing chain guide.
  11. Remove the LH timing chain.
Installation
  1. Install the LH timing chain.
    • Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the LH VCT assembly.
  2. Install the LH timing chain guide and bolt. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  3. Install the LH timing chain tensioner arm.
  4. Install LH primary timing chain tensioner
  5. Install the LH primary timing chain tensioner and bolts. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  6. Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.
  7. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise one complete revolution (keyway back to 5 o'clock)
  8. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.
  9. Install the RH timing chain.
    • Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the RH VCT assembly.
  10. Install the RH timing chain guide and bolt. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  11. Install the RH timing chain tensioner arm.
  12. Install RH primary timing chain tensioner
  13. Install the RH primary timing chain tensioner and bolts. Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
  14. Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.
Always be turning the crank clockwise. Do not forget the complete revolution before going back to install the RH chain. Follow the steps to a T and you'll be fine.
greatly appreciated and yes is pretty straight forward but what happens in my situation is that I walked away with chains removed passenger side mark was straight up when returned it was at 3 o’clock ?? Seems to have jumped must have not been in neutral position now it’s all out of wack and need to start from zero any help with that ?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
OP, if your waiting for someone to tell you to just back the cam up, adjust chain to where the link timing marks are then be on your way, probably won't happen because every experienced mechanic knows, starting from the beginning takes all guess work and what ifs out of the equation by ensuring the timing is done, exactly as the manual states with no cam link jumps, which will cause you to double guess yourself. Good Luck

BigD94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - PP1 - Manual
greatly appreciated and yes is pretty straight forward but what happens in my situation is that I walked away with chains removed passenger side mark was straight up when returned it was at 3 o’clock ?? Seems to have jumped must have not been in neutral position now it’s all out of wack and need to start from zero any help with that ?
Haven't really seen this situation before and it's very odd that your VCT units moved while you were away. When doing this install most people have the e-brake engaged and the transmission in 6th gear.

The position of the keyway at 12 and the RH VCT point up is crucial for timing and from what you're telling us, your timing is now off and you can't really just put it back in place by guessing.

If you have the shop manual there is a section for timing the VCT units. Since your RH VCT units are now out of timing with the crank, you may need to do some research on VCT timing.

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't really seen this situation before and it's very odd that your VCT units moved while you were away. When doing this install most people have the e-brake engaged and the transmission in 6th gear.

The position of the keyway at 12 and the RH VCT point up is crucial for timing and from what you're telling us, your timing is now off and you can't really just put it back in place by guessing.

If you have the shop manual there is a section for timing the VCT units. Since your RH VCT units are now out of timing with the crank, you may need to do some research on VCT timing.
yes exactly but mine is auto so in park w Ebrake but I’m going to pick up aford shop Manuel and go from there thx

BoostedYote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No-PETE were you able to resolve the situation? I am currently in the same position. While I was installing left bottom time chain guide I must have knocked the chain off the sprocket. Went to go rotate crank to install the right hand not realizing the chain was off the sprocket. Long story short I have rotated a few time trying to get marks lined up
Sponsored