P0019 code ??? Whipple/OPG install

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Before I get started. I’ve did a lot of research And figured that I might of mistimed the timing chains when doing my OPG install. But I feel like it could be something else well...

So I did my whipple gen 5 install afterwards.(pic below). So the thought of tearing this whole thing down again to fix the timing is daunting and I want to make sure I go through all possibilities first

FB294575-78CE-4A23-B921-75E6AFDCE54A.jpeg

I read on another thread you can do a data log and you’ll be able to see if the timing is off. I remember reading the numbers should be 30-31 or something like that. I have the live link program on my laptop but never used it before. Can anyone help me out on how to use it and what data/numbers I should look for. ??

*sidenote* I did one test run on a base whipple tune. Everything seemed fine. But my belt broke and I had to be towed. Thinking back I always felt like my harmonic balancer wasn’t pushed in all the way flushed. I bought a ARP balancer install bolt to use. But now I can’t get the stock bolt off. The balancer just keeps spinning. Any suggestions ?

questions: could the balancer pulley not being flushed cause the P0019 code as well??

If I have to tear down everything again to get the timing chain right. Then so be it. Should be easier my 2nd time around. Just honestly don’t feel like doing it again lol.
Sponsored

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
But now I can’t get the stock bolt off. The balancer just keeps spinning. Any suggestions ?
It sounds like your key might be missing from your crankshaft. If that is the case then your timing will be wonky because your timing gear uses the same key as your pulley. I definitely would not turn the engine at all until you can verify if the key is in there. Your pistons could hit an open intake valve depending on how much they open.

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Try a crank sensor relearn and reassess.
yea I read about that. Haven’t tried it yet. I’m waiting on my belt to come in the mail. Could I do that without the belt on ?

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
It sounds like your key might be missing from your crankshaft. If that is the case then your timing will be wonky because your timing gear uses the same key as your pulley. I definitely would not turn the engine at all until you can verify if the key is in there. Your pistons could hit an open intake valve depending on how much they open.
what is this “key” you speak of. What does it look like ? Bare with me. First time doing a big install like this. So I’m still learning. Thanks

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
The key is what sits in the slot in the shaft. It locks the pulley in place. It's the half round thing in this generic pic

1618941222821.png

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Timing issue of some sort for sure. I think you're pulling the timing cover back off one way or the other.

P0019 is the OBD-II generic code indicating that the crankshaft and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) position sensor B for bank 2 exhaust camshaft does not correspond signals with each other.

If you put the car in 6th gear and block tire etc you can't get the balancer bolt off? When you say it just spins are you saying you're turning the engine over or the balancer just spins freely? Do you have access to an impact?

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
The key is what sits in the slot in the shaft. It locks the pulley in place. It's the half round thing in this generic pic

1618941222821.png
not 100% sure if I’m following. But wouldn’t I not be able to drive my car if that was the case ? But basically. The balancer turns fine. It’s just when I try to take the bolt off. The harmonic balancer just turns left. I don’t remember seeing this key when I took everything off.

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Timing issue of some sort for sure. I think you're pulling the timing cover back off one way or the other.

P0019 is the OBD-II generic code indicating that the crankshaft and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) position sensor B for bank 2 exhaust camshaft does not correspond signals with each other.

If you put the car in 6th gear and block tire etc you can't get the balancer bolt off? When you say it just spins are you saying you're turning the engine over or the balancer just spins freely? Do you have access to an impact?
its a auto btw. To clarify. It turns the engine over. It doesn’t just spin freely. I have a impact.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
When my OPGs were installed I brought it to a top shop. Thank God I did because they noticed the harmonic balancer was stretched when reassembling the fromt part of the engine and the balancer after close inspection seemed to be “burred” Improperly from ford prior to the engine being assembled causing this slight stretch. Timing being off which is what possibly would’ve occurred from the stretch would’ve eventually caused a possible engine failure on the catastrophic level. With that being said Ford improved their harmonic balancer from 2018 to 2020 and my mustang got the upgraded part along with some nice new Boundary OPG/CS’ and all is well with the install now. If I was you I wouldn’t mess around. Make sure that timing is perfect.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Also. What is a good way to make sure all my pulleys are aligned so my belt won’t brake again

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
When my OPGs were installed I brought it to a top shop. Thank God I did because they noticed the harmonic balancer was stretched when reassembling the fromt part of the engine and the balancer after close inspection seemed to be “burred” Improperly from ford prior to the engine being assembled causing this slight stretch. Timing being off which is what possibly would’ve occurred from the stretch would’ve eventually caused a possible engine failure on the catastrophic level. With that being said Ford improved their harmonic balancer from 2018 to 2020 and my mustang got the upgraded part along with some nice new Boundary OPG/CS’ and all is well with the install now. If I was you I wouldn’t mess around. Make sure that timing is perfect.
You talking 15-17 ? Its a fluid damper. How the hell does it stretch ? 18+ Ford cheaped out and went with a bonded damper.

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If you have an auto you’ll need to hold the bolt on the trans (specifically the torque converter) to prevent your crank bolt / balancer from moving when you remove it. It’s not a missing keyway issue the auto will just spin so impact or torque gun or you pop the cover under the drivers side and get a wrench on the bolt. What does your balancer look like, meaning is there a gap? I would pull it apart and retime personally. I’m literally doing this install as we speak so message me with any questions

B64ED3EC-4149-43B4-89DD-E6CAB3470E8D.png

CFE0CC99-19A8-4943-87FD-D4ED76762C84.png

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
If you have an auto you’ll need to hold the bolt on the trans (specifically the torque converter) to prevent your crank bolt / balancer from moving when you remove it. It’s not a missing keyway issue the auto will just spin so impact or torque gun or you pop the cover under the drivers side and get a wrench on the bolt. What does your balancer look like, meaning is there a gap? I would pull it apart and retime personally. I’m literally doing this install as we speak so message me with any questions

B64ED3EC-4149-43B4-89DD-E6CAB3470E8D.png

CFE0CC99-19A8-4943-87FD-D4ED76762C84.png
Yea. It looks like it’s a small gap in there. Very minimum of anything. But I’m almost certain there is one.

would my impact not make it spinn ? Sounds silly. But was just wondering. Lol

would there be any symptoms of a timing chain that’s off besides the check engine code ??
Sponsored