Oil Consumption

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
No idling at all for me, to warm up, any car. I meant I always fully bring the car to operating temperature, no cold start then shut off, or short drives.
Sponsored

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Can't go by the first 1000-2000 miles. Mine basically consumed nothing the first 2000 miles - now at 7000 it's a different story
Dammit, now I have to get rid of it before 5-6K miles.......

Kevin Tinto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I've got a 2017 R version. Burned 8 quarts of oil before the first service at 4,000. I cut it short, because it was obvious this was one of the oil drinkers. Going back in on Tuesday for an official measure. Has burned at least 2 quarts in 500 miles. If you have an oil burner, you know it right off. You can't keep oil in it. Also, whatever set of exhaust u use will be coated jet black after a hundred miles. Would I buy a GT500 now? I sure wouldn't buy the first year. While Ford is great at designing an amazing car, the build is not up to supercar build standards once out of the hand-build testing phase. No question the first year of the 500 is going to be a nightmare for owners, adding all that extra hp, new brakes, new transmission, etc.

Also, was at Track Attack in Utah a couple weeks back. These cars had 5,000-8,000 miles. They were breaking down left and right. Seemed mostly electrical related. For 13 drivers, 4 cars busted had to be replaced all by 11am.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Hmm bad valve seals. I thought I'd read several places Ford won't let the dealerships go into the engines at all to try to find problem with excessive oil use. They just end up replacing the engine.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Also, was at Track Attack in Utah a couple weeks back. These cars had 5,000-8,000 miles. They were breaking down left and right. Seemed mostly electrical related. For 13 drivers, 4 cars busted had to be replaced all by 11am.
Curious about others experience. I was there a month ago and we lost no cars to breakdowns, just one driver to "altitude sickness". Think he was the youngest participant, too :)

Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Update on mine - just over 7000 miles today - needed a qt. Seems to be right at 1 qt/500 miles now. Will it get worse, or better?? Soon find out!

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have 18,000 miles and have never had to add oil between changes. Same for my Boss before this.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My last 1qt consumption was 1164 miles, and I think I added it a little early. Before that was a little under 1000 miles. I'm hopeful it's tapering off and not getting worse.

For those with problems reading the stick:
  • I always insert mine the the same way, with the hashes facing the engine.
  • Wipe the first reading and ignore it, then stick it and read that. Do it a couple-three times to be sure of the reading.
  • When I'm going to check the oil, I shut the car down after the oil is fully warm (200deg or so) and tell Siri to remind me to check the oil in 14 minutes, and go inside and do something else. I get too impatient otherwise and don't wait long enough.
  • I only add a full quart at a time. If you add a quart when the oil level is just below the bottom hole, it will take you to the top of the hashes while staying below the top hole.
  • I check the oil at every 250 mile increment for consistency and to make it easy to remember.
I also use Fuelly to track oil consumption and set maintenance reminders, like when to check the oil and catch can.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My last 1qt consumption was 1164 miles, and I think I added it a little early. Before that was a little under 1000 miles. I'm hopeful it's tapering off and not getting worse.

For those with problems reading the stick:
  • I always insert mine the the same way, with the hashes facing the engine.
  • Wipe the first reading and ignore it, then stick it and read that. Do it a couple-three times to be sure of the reading.
  • When I'm going to check the oil, I shut the car down after the oil is fully warm (200deg or so) and tell Siri to remind me to check the oil in 14 minutes, and go inside and do something else. I get too impatient otherwise and don't wait long enough.
  • I only add a full quart at a time. If you add a quart when the oil level is just below the bottom hole, it will take you to the top of the hashes while staying below the top hole.
  • I check the oil at every 250 mile increment for consistency and to make it easy to remember.
I also use Fuelly to track oil consumption and set maintenance reminders, like when to check the oil and catch can.
I dont read mine I check to see if the bottom hole on the dip stick has oil in it. If it does I assume its good???

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Like others said I always orient the dipstick the same way to get repeatable results and wait a min of 15 minutes for drain back.

So far haven't had to add between oil changes which are frequent since I track mine. This past week put 1500 miles on and 3 track days and didn't need oil added.
Sponsored