OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
My "new" 2016 intake manifold has been cleaned up, looks like new. Thanks to another forum member for hooking me up! The new fuel injectors have been installed into the fuel rail and the fuel rail attached to the intake. New Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets are now in place too.

Ran out of time today but tomorrow should see me reinstall the intake itself, hopefully re-connect the various vacuum lines to the right spot and also re-connect the connectors to the back of the intake that were not attached to the 2018 intake. At least none of the wiring was cut up or spliced.

I got a bunch of emails from Lund on steps I have to take to install their tune but I have not read them yet. I will do that before moving on to the tune. I hope the Lund tune works okay. They've been getting pounded on here pretty hard lately and it has me worried this is just another fiasco waiting to happen to this Mustang. I doubt a tune can get much more basic that what is needed here so I hope that means it will be smooth sailing.

My plates, registration and title arrived in the mail yesterday so maybe that's a good omen. Or maybe it will just make it easier to identity the car after it blows itself to bits when I next try to start it. Could really go either way at this point.

A dining room table is the perfect spot to do this type of work, as long as my wife is at work that is.

20231014_154910 - Copy.jpg
Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
My "new" 2016 intake manifold has been cleaned up, looks like new. Thanks to another forum member for hooking me up! The new fuel injectors have been installed into the fuel rail and the fuel rail attached to the intake. New Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets are now in place too.

Ran out of time today but tomorrow should see me reinstall the intake itself, hopefully re-connect the various vacuum lines to the right spot and also re-connect the connectors to the back of the intake that were not attached to the 2018 intake. At least none of the wiring was cut up or spliced.

I got a bunch of emails from Lund on steps I have to take to install their tune but I have not read them yet. I will do that before moving on to the tune. I hope the Lund tune works okay. They've been getting pounded on here pretty hard lately and it has me worried this is just another fiasco waiting to happen to this Mustang. I doubt a tune can get much more basic that what is needed here so I hope that means it will be smooth sailing.

My plates, registration and title arrived in the mail yesterday so maybe that's a good omen. Or maybe it will just make it easier to identity the car after it blows itself to bits when I next try to start it. Could really go either way at this point.

A dining room table is the perfect spot to do this type of work, as long as my wife is at work that is.

20231014_154910 - Copy.jpg
People here love to hate Lund. And yes a lot of it is warranted, but there are a ton of members here with nothing but positive experiences with them.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Phew man. That’s a very bad, but maybe very lucky find. Hopefully it was too large to go any further and contact the valve stem or valve.

I can’t speak for that dealer, but I’d rarely ever trust a non large-chain dealer in Florida. Waaaay too many crooks (large dealers aren’t exclude) who take wrecked, salvage, or damaged cars and sell them to unsuspecting buyers.

Really hope you are able to get it buttoned up and running well. I’d open a case with the BBB regarding that dealer.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Phew man. That’s a very bad, but maybe very lucky find. Hopefully it was too large to go any further and contact the valve stem or valve.

I can’t speak for that dealer, but I’d rarely ever trust a non large-chain dealer in Florida. Waaaay too many crooks (large dealers aren’t exclude) who take wrecked, salvage, or damaged cars and sell them to unsuspecting buyers.

Really hope you are able to get it buttoned up and running well. I’d open a case with the BBB regarding that dealer.
Oh it was hitting the valve for a while. I don't think it was able to get down in between the seat and the valve, but all that edge wear will show up on the back of the valve too. It would definitely concern me going forward.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oh it was hitting the valve for a while. I don't think it was able to get down in between the seat and the valve, but all that edge wear will show up on the back of the valve too. It would definitely concern me going forward.
Yikes.

OP: Here’s some reading material. This dealer seems to have zero sense of responsibility when selling someone a vehicle with issues.

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/orlando/profile/used-car-dealers/mint-auto-sales-0733-90315775/complaints

Sponsored

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I do believe I am now pissed off. I am replacing the 2018 intake that is currently on the Mustang with one from a 2016 GT at the same time as I am doing the Lund 91 tune. I am also replacing the 47 lb injectors with new stock ones. I have new plugs to go in it too and plan on changing the oil shortly after it's up and running again.

So, I mosied on out to the workshop this morning to remove the existing 2018 manifold so I am all set when the 2016 manifold arrives. No issues removing the 2018 manifold. However, when I lifted up the intake I thought "That's odd... what is that shiny piece that is just sitting there in cylinder 6?". I pulled it out and then thought "WTF????".

So, WTF is this? Looks very similar to the end of a garden hose.

02 - Copy.jpg

03 - Copy.jpg

04 - Copy.jpg

05 - Copy.jpg
Unbelievable

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
You know what if this happens to me that dealer will no longer exist….. This is some damn bullshit!!!!!!!! Lawyer up!!!!!!!

Aks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ak
Vehicle(s)
2023 s550
OP here: Sure, there are lots of pre-2015 around here with 150K miles, 2015+ > $30K for a base GT, wrong color, wrong transmission, 6 owners, etc. After many months of looking, this one ticked most of the boxes for me. I really wanted another Screaming Yellow 2016 GT Premium but could not find one with a non-outrageous price. I have purchased multiple other cars from out-of-state and had it work out great.

In this case, despite it being low miles from a no-salt/snow state, two-owner with an accident-free and clean CarFax, there were many things that were missed (not disclosed that the car had an E85 tune, 2018 intake and no tuner came with, I didn't think to ask this question), mis-stated (I directly asked multiple times for confirmation that the exhaust was 100 percent stock and was told it was, only to find out not a bit of it was stock...lth, hi-flow cats and MBRP catback), unreported accident (e.g. at least one accident at the front right corner not showing up on the CarFax).

There is no way in hell that I should have taken the saleman's solemn word on it that the car was mint mint mint, runs awesome and that there's no way I will not absolutely love it. But like an idiot, I did. So now I am going to make the best of it.

But the rest of you, please be smarter than I was (low bar indeed) and keep your distance from this dealership.
Why u didn't hire a reputable third party independent vehicle inspector to check out the mustang?

At your age like you said, u should just a brand new mustang without have to deal with this kind of headache and hassles.

I only buy brand new mustangs or salvaged mustangs that i trust myself to rebuild it right without all the stupid monkey shits these stupid fast and furious want to be mustang owners ..

Sponsored
OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was able to install the replacement intake this morning with no issues. Fuel rail, injectors etc are done. I did hit a road block when I went to install the throttle body. I forgot to get a new throttle body gasket for the 2015-17 intake. !@#$. The TB gasket on the 2018 intake is a bit too big to fit the 2015-17 intake. I did check the part numbers and the TB that was installed on the 2018 intake is FR3E-9F991-AA and that I am re-using now, is for a 2015-17 intake. The bolt pattern for the TB is the same on both intakes.

With any luck I can find this gasket locally here today.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why u didn't hire a reputable third party independent vehicle inspector to check out the mustang?

At your age like you said, u should just a brand new mustang without have to deal with this kind of headache and hassles.

I only buy brand new mustangs or salvaged mustangs that i trust myself to rebuild it right without all the stupid monkey shits these stupid fast and furious want to be mustang owners ..
I had fully intended on doing getting the third-party inspection, even knew which one I was using. However, after dealing with the sales guy for a while I foolishly started trusting when I should not. I don't know what else to say. It was a dumb-ass mistake and bad judgement on my part. I need to keep reminding myself that a large part of the human race is not worthy of my trust or time. As sad as that is... You can bet the next time I buy a used car, one of my questions will be "Did you stick a large CAI nozzle down the intake manifold?" LIAR!!!!!! "Mind if I pull it off and look you filthy rat bastard?" ;)

I'd love to have just thrown down $55K for a brand new one. But with still helping kids in school, that's not happening. They're my priority. Plus, I love working on cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc but I really, really hate being lied to.

I'm constantly striving to be a better person but shit like this really taxes that goal..

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had fully intended on doing getting the third-party inspection, even knew which one I was using. However, after dealing with the sales guy for a while I foolishly started trusting when I should not. I don't know what else to say. It was a dumb-ass mistake and bad judgement on my part. I need to keep reminding myself that a large part of the human race is not worthy of my trust or time. As sad as that is... You can bet the next time I buy a used car, one of my questions will be "Did you stick a large CAI nozzle down the intake manifold?" LIAR!!!!!! "Mind if I pull it off and look you filthy rat bastard?" ;)

I'd love to have just thrown down $55K for a brand new one. But with still helping kids in school, that's not happening. They're my priority. Plus, I love working on cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc but I really, really hate being lied to.

I'm constantly striving to be a better person but shit like this really taxes that goal..
That’s real talk right there. I agree with everything you just said.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took a little break to regroup and reassess and I am feeling better about things now. Beautiful wife, healthy, happy kids, nice home, great job, okay health, etc... My youngest reminded me about the Tubthumper spirit I have and to channel it now. Kids are pretty insightful at times.

The TB gasket is not available anywhere locally today so I will be getting it on Tuesday. I think I have now gone as far as I can go without having the TB installed.

Now it is a Sunday afternoon and my plans are zero (i.e. finish the Mustang). Nothing pressing to do outside or inside, no important projects or deliverables due at work tomorrow, house to myself (except for 4 cats temporarily staying with us)... And the Moto GP race is on the DVR, a few football games on the tube, and some cardio work to get done. I think this Sunday afternoon might turn out well after all.
20231015_144058 - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was able to pickup the TB gasket at a local Ford dealer today and got the TB and factory air tube reinstalled. There are a few connections I am unsure of. I am also reasonable sure at least one of the hoses (#2) has been shortened or otherwise mucked with.

Nipple A is on the stock air tube.

Nipple B is the vacuum canister purge valve.

Nipple C is on the intake manifold.

Hose #1 originates at the back of the 2015-17 intake and runs under the runners, exiting at the front left corner of the intake. It'd really suck if this one is not supposed to go under the runners, rather over them but I'll deal with it.

Hose #2 goes to the brake booster. Its I.D. is too small to fit over nipple C and is too short to reach nipple A. But I seem to remember seeing a picture somewhere showing the line 2 being connected to nipple A on the air tube but I could be wrong. If so, I will need to pickup an appropriately sized hose to do this.

I've been searching for pictures that show these connections but ones not depicting an aftermarket CAI are few and far between, at least based on my search results so far. Does anyone have a link to a picture that might help me resolve these last few connections?

With a little bit of luck, I will be trying to start this... bundle of joy... either tonight or tomorrow.

2016Connections - Copy.jpg
Sponsored