Sponsored

Off to a rough start with 2016 GT

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
This is Mustang number seven for me. My last one was a Screaming Yellow 2016 GT Premium I sold to help pay for the kids' college. That's all over so I went on the hunt for another Mustang. I looked at some 1998 Cobras, 2004 Mach 1s, yellow 2005 GTs, a couple of 2014 GTs but really had my heart set on another 2016-17 GT Premium.

I located a nice 2016 GT Premium automatic for sale in Southern Florida with low miles and a clean CarFax. I'm in the upper Midwest so a personal inspection was not practical. I had the dealership answer a bunch of specific questions. I particularly wanted one that was not beat to death and was as original as possible. The answers I got back stated it has stock exhaust and engine, the only identified mods were lowering springs, Koni shocks and Maximum Motorsport caster plates.

I decided to take a chance on it. Imagine my surprise when it arrived the next week and I found on it a 2018 intake manifold, BBK long tube headers, BBK hi-flow cats and a MBRP race catback. I expect that in order for this combo to run, there must be a custom tune of some type required but no tuner came with it.

After the car was down off the car hauler, I fired it up for a quick test drive. It started okay but idled terribly until it warmed up a bit. I also saw that it only averaged 12 mpg over the last 7K miles. That is much less than the 19.5 mpg I averaged on my virtually identical yellow 2016. Hmmm.

The car was only showing about 25 miles to empty so I stopped and filled it with 87 octane (unaware of a potential 91 tune issue). I barely made it the 8 miles back to my house, it was now running so poorly that I had collected P0300 cylinder misfire on cylinders 1,2,3,5,7,8 as well as P2196 O2 sensor 1 stuck rich and P2198 O2 sensor 2 stuck rich.

I popped the hood and saw it actually had a 2018 intake on it. The four connectors at the back of the intake are not plugged into anything (locked IMRC?) and I was told that this can cause a rough idle when cold. A custom tune is needed (I think) to lock the IMRCs. Hmmm. Then I dug further and saw the BBK long tube headers and then the BBK hi-flow cats. And the MBRP logo on the cans on the cat-back. So yeah, not quite a stock system.

I parked it in my garage and started analyzing further. I found and fixed a few vacuum leaks but they were trivial. What really surprised me is that the car would no longer start at all. It would crank and crank and if I opened the throttle to shut off injectors it would stumble/run for a few seconds but it sounded painful. And a very strong odor of gasoline too.

I let it sit the rest of the day and the next day I pulled the plugs. All 8 were wet with fuel and covered in soot. I gave them a good, gentle cleaning and re-installed them. The car did start but did the spastic stuttering and shut off. I was told to try starting it with the MAF disconnected but it did not help. I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner just in case but no change. The gas I got is at a highly-busy station so it's probably not bad gas. Oh yes, since it is now not starting on a full tank I threw another cheap part at it... vapor canister purge valve, but no change.

I am grasping at straws but I wonder if the previous owner removed the custom tune from the Mustang so he could keep the tuner and now the car has a factory tune with a bunch of changed bits not working properly. Would a Mustang totally cease to run if a stock tune was tried with the intake, long tube headers and hi-flow cats this car has, or would it still run decently well but just a bit sub-optimal? I don't really fancy forking out $900 for a tuner and custom tune to find out. There aren't that many places doing custom tunes for 2018 intakes on 2015-17 GTs it seems.

I am very tempted to just revert the intake to stock, replace the long tube headers and hi-flow cats with OEM and get a factory tune from Ford. Really I don't care if this car has 430 hp or475 hp. I just want it to reliable and fun to drive.

I've been trying to find someone locally (NE Wisconsin) to hire to try to sort it out but it's a challenge when I'd have to get it towed wherever I take it.

I miss my yellow 2016!

Screenshot 2023-10-08 173520.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-08 173535.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

adhi_shanks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adhi
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium convertible
As far as I know those modifications shouldn’t stop the engine from running unless it’s just wired wrong. I would suggest taking it to a dealership and getting everything sorted out there and see if they can either return the parts to stock or have it rewired properly.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
The car could potentially have an E85 tune on it which would likely give you some starting and driving issues if it’s got 87 in the tank now.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The stock tune will throw a wrench light for the missing CMCV's

Yes an E85 tune will explain the rich cranking, but should throw a light for fuel trims out of range.

Since the car was misrepresented to you can you return it?

Last edited:

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like it's been tuned for E85.

Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
What a friggin horror show. Sorry to read this and wish you luck whichever way you go with it.
If it were me in your shoes I would send it back from whence it came. Unless of course you can keep throwing money at it. Someone will always take your cash to put parts on it.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
You have no way of contacting the last owner? That’s terrible I can’t imagine just screwing someone over like that! I would make sure the next owner knows everything about the car !

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Can the last owner be looked up by the vin number or dealer records maybe maintenance visits at a Ford dealer ? You gotta at least know what fuel it takes what a nightmare !

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
This is why I bought the only two sports car's I have owned brand new. I can only blame me for the problems!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have no way of contacting the last owner? That’s terrible I can’t imagine just screwing someone over like that! I would make sure the next owner knows everything about the car !
I know the dealer that sold it to the dealer I bought it from but not the owner that sold it to the first dealer. I am going to call the first dealership and ask them if they will contact that person on my behalf to call me. I won't ask them to give me his contact info but will leave it up to him to decide if he wants to talk to me.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
I know the dealer that sold it to the dealer I bought it from but not the owner that sold it to the first dealer. I am going to call the first dealership and ask them if they will contact that person on my behalf to call me. I won't ask them to give me his contact info but will leave it up to him to decide if he wants to talk to me.
Try to do a vin search online and see if you come up with anything.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a friggin horror show. Sorry to read this and wish you luck whichever way you go with it.
If it were me in your shoes I would send it back from whence it came. Unless of course you can keep throwing money at it. Someone will always take your cash to put parts on it.
I think once I determine exactly what tune it has, it will start to fall into place. The rest of the car and mods are great. Trying to keep a positive outlook on it it's not easy right now.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Yup, tried that and came up empty.
I know there’s people here that work at Ford dealers I hope they’re able to look up the service records for contact information
Sponsored