corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is the remote start missing entirely from the software in MT cars, or is it merely hidden/deactivated? In the latter case, couldn't it be activated somehow with FORScan?
I imagine that something would be looking for a transmission selector to identify that the transmission was specifically in 'P' or possibly 'N' before remote start could be enabled.

In a MT there would be no 'P' position sensing possible, and I'm not even sure about 'N'.

Norm

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I imagine that something would be looking for a transmission selector to identify that the transmission was specifically in 'P' or possibly 'N' before remote start could be enabled.

In a MT there would be no 'P' position sensing possible, and I'm not even sure about 'N'.

Norm
And if that isn't the case and can be enabled with Forscan, then it's a disaster waiting to happen...

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Does the dash display use a sensor or an algorithm using a combination of road speed / engine revs / box ratios / final drive ratio ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I wonder what people did before having remote start, heated seats, adaptive cruise control, and the list goes on...
Oh yeah, they actually took their key, put it in the door and turned, opened the door and got in, put the key in the ignition and turned, started the car up, and DROVE THE DANG CAR.

Honestly, people have gotten soft over the years. Ooooh, I'm too cold. Ooooh, I'm too hot. Oooh, I don't want to drive today, I'll just sit in the driver's seat and let the car drive for me. The problem is, with all the BS(some call it luxury, I call it laziness) in cars today, people have forgotten how to drive. It's pathetic.

Oh yeah, about the remote start in a manual car... Yeah, it ain't gonna happen. Ford doesn't sell enough manuals to even attempt this safety issue. Plus, the manuals Ford sells are on a performance car. Ford knows they will sell the car successfully without such option as a remote start.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Honestly, people have gotten soft over the years.

Sometimes when I'm taking a relaxing bubble bath, I remote start my car using my iPhone. The rumble from the garage causes our Jacuzzi tub to vibrate ... it makes me giggle. :giggle:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wonder what people did before having remote start, heated seats, adaptive cruise control, and the list goes on...
Oh yeah, they actually took their key, put it in the door and turned, opened the door and got in, put the key in the ignition and turned, started the car up, and DROVE THE DANG CAR.
You can go even further and ask what people did before having cars. Oh yeah, they rode horses or walked. But personally I wouldn't want to go back to those times.

Over here we often have frozen rain in winter. I'd like to see you open the door of a Mustang (or any car with frameless windows for that matter) that's covered in a 2 mm thick layer of hard ice.

Oh yeah, about the remote start in a manual car... Yeah, it ain't gonna happen.
I'm sure it ain't gonna happen officially. The question is, can we make it happen with some software hacks?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm sure it ain't gonna happen officially. The question is, can we make it happen with some software hacks?
If this could have been done, someone would have figured it out by now. It hasn’t so we can all move on now. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The manual gearbox knows what gear you're in, because it can display it on the instrument panel.
Keep in mind that a MT gear position sensor doesn't know anything about a "gear position" called 'Park'.

Even knowing about 'N' is not enough for determining that 'N' for a MT was a legitimate position for enabling the starter. Given that the MT cars come with a clutch pedal interlock switch and that you can then start a MT car up regardless of where the shifter is in the pattern, I'm not at all sure that such 'N' sensing is available for anything beyond IP indication. It probably could be, but I think building that much new logic into the system would take a lot more than just editing one or two characters in FORSCAN.

I still think the best way for remote start to co-exist with a conventional 3-pedal MT is for the MT to gain a 'Park' position off to one side of the H-based pattern. Simpler and more reliable than any of the approaches being used (no matter whether aftermarket or OE).

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You can go even further and ask what people did before having cars. Oh yeah, they rode horses or walked. But personally I wouldn't want to go back to those times.

Over here we often have frozen rain in winter. I'd like to see you open the door of a Mustang (or any car with frameless windows for that matter) that's covered in a 2 mm thick layer of hard ice.

Whenever NC gets winter weather, it is usually freezing rain or ice more than snow. I know it sucks opening a door that seems to be glued shut. We should try a crowbar next time yeah? :giggle:

Regarding your horse or walking comment, it's apples to oranges. Cars have helped us become more efficient in our daily lives. Less commute time, the ability to haul lots of people, the ability to commute in dangerous conditions. Have all these creature comforts caused you to become more efficient or more lazy? Heated seats? Sure, they are nice. Do they help you to get to work faster? Absolutely not. Blindside monitoring? Yes, a computer to do work for you. Is it nice to have? I wouldn't know, never had a vehicle with them. Do they handicap people? Absolutely! Makes people lazy and gives people a false sense of confidence. My argument above wasn't the fact that people shouldn't have nice things in life, but more so people relying on all these things when they shouldn't. A lot of people in this country and others can't drive anymore because they rely on all these computers and sensors to tell them what to do. The modern car is too busy and distracting.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Whenever NC gets winter weather, it is usually freezing rain or ice more than snow. I know it sucks opening a door that seems to be glued shut. We should try a crowbar next time yeah? :giggle:
When I lived in NJ I encountered this a few times in my 15’ EB. Solution. Used remote start to warm up the car. No problem.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You can go even further and ask what people did before having cars. Oh yeah, they rode horses or walked.
And I bet they didn't whine nearly as much about what they didn't have as people today do when they don't feel sufficiently catered to.

Obviously, selecting form over function can have its functional drawbacks. Dare I suggest that the problem here is really a design choice that spites the need for function just to get the form?

Maybe the bigger question to ask is how have people become so spoiled that they can't walk out to their cars and start them up the normal way? Why they think that their cars must provide so many of the functions that used to be performed for them only if they were rich enough to retain a chauffeur? Have our collective snooty noses turned that far upward?

Norm
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm