TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
5.0L - Engine Knock Type Noise At Idle
19-2144
09 May 2019

Model:

Ford
2018-2019 F-150
2018-2019 Mustang

Issue: Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a light to moderate knocking type noise at idle (600-700 RPM) that is sometimes described as a quiet diesel type sound. The noise is usually more prominent on the passenger side of the vehicle toward the rear of the engine. As the engine comes up to operating temperature, the noise level increases slightly. This noise is not detrimental to engine function and has no short or long term effects on engine durability. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.

Action: Refer to the Service Procedure for vehicles that meet the following criteria:

• 2018-2019 F-150/Mustang

• 5.0L engine

• Light or moderate knocking type noise at idle

Warranty Status: Information Only.

Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part: IN
Condition Code: 42

Service Information

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
They're not going to explain what causes it? Just that it's a normal characteristic?

Ok, everyone who does NOT have this noise, bring the car in to make sure they can fix it and make it normal!

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Thanks for the info. Hopefully people will stop being so neurotic regarding engine noises and stop posting threads for every weird sound they hear.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good info!

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had that knock on my PP2 and I wasn't concerned with it. It behaved exactly as Ford described it. TSBs for the tick, the knock... let's see if Ford finally ends up saying something about the 2k RPM rattle.

Sponsored

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The 2k rattle was what got me a shortblock replacement and then my replacement Mustang under lemon law. Too bad my new 2019 Mustang seems to have issues with the clutch...

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
OH SHIT! DID SOMEONE SAY ANAL?!

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
They're not going to explain what causes it? Just that it's a normal characteristic?

Ok, everyone who does NOT have this noise, bring the car in to make sure they can fix it and make it normal!

They will be glad to tell you exactly what is causing the ticks, rattles etc once your 5/60k is up.

Sponsored

khalismatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Non-PP, 6-Speed MT-82
Funny my ac tensioner add on fixed that knock...normal characteristic my ass
I got an oil change at a Ford Quick Lane service center. I use my own oil, Amsoil to be specific. I noticed after my oil change that there was this intermittent ticking sound coming from the engine at idle, specifically when the car has been driven for a short period of time. It would not tick after a cold start then idle for reference. Anyways, I read a few posts and blogs here and there thinking I now have the dreaded tick however, I came along a post that mentioned the A/C tensioner kit in LMR. What was odd was that it was listed for 11-14 mustangs however, I noticed that 15-17s have all the required holes machined in the engine already. As though this A/C tensioner was supposed to come from factory. Needless to say, I purchased it in a frantic effort to get rid of that unnerving tick and to my amazement, after $130 and less than an hour of my time...POOOOOF, the tick was gone. I drove around, for roughly 50 miles and kept checking the sounds coming from the engine at idle when I would stop. I made sure to stress the system, turning the A/C on and off and to my amazement, there was NO TICK! Also, the engine sounds a little smoother now, although that could just be the placebo effect mixed with the lack of tick sound. Either way, I'm glad to be rid of that stretch belt BS! I do believe there are different "TICKS" recorded coming from the engine, so I do not believe this will be a definitive fix for all, but i'm sure as shit glad it fixed my problem!!

Grom13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT mustang
I totally agree , even before I read about the 2k rattle , I heard my car do it driving 1st , 2nd gear out of a freeway service station and thought immediately that it was the DI pump , 2k seem to be the happy place where it resonates much like the drone in an exhaust.
I have this sound. I swear it's the lobe driven HP Fuel Pump. I also believe that pump is the primary source of noise behind the 2k rattle.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got an oil change at a Ford Quick Lane service center. I use my own oil, Amsoil to be specific. I noticed after my oil change that there was this intermittent ticking sound coming from the engine at idle, specifically when the car has been driven for a short period of time. It would not tick after a cold start then idle for reference. Anyways, I read a few posts and blogs here and there thinking I now have the dreaded tick however, I came along a post that mentioned the A/C tensioner kit in LMR. What was odd was that it was listed for 11-14 mustangs however, I noticed that 15-17s have all the required holes machined in the engine already. As though this A/C tensioner was supposed to come from factory. Needless to say, I purchased it in a frantic effort to get rid of that unnerving tick and to my amazement, after $130 and less than an hour of my time...POOOOOF, the tick was gone. I drove around, for roughly 50 miles and kept checking the sounds coming from the engine at idle when I would stop. I made sure to stress the system, turning the A/C on and off and to my amazement, there was NO TICK! Also, the engine sounds a little smoother now, although that could just be the placebo effect mixed with the lack of tick sound. Either way, I'm glad to be rid of that stretch belt BS! I do believe there are different "TICKS" recorded coming from the engine, so I do not believe this will be a definitive fix for all, but i'm sure as shit glad it fixed my problem!!
I thought I was nuts when it actually subdued the tick in mine. I installed it as an experiment, a year ago, and sure enough made a difference in it's intensity. The tick is still there, but not as loud. The remainder of it disappeared with Ceratec. For the life of me, I can't believe Ford uses a stretchy belt to save weight and a few dollars in manufacturing. Talk about cheap. It's really piss poor engineering, imo.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s the official Ford TSB 19-2144 document:
Sponsored

Attachments