Sponsored

New tsb for engine knock

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just posted how normal my typewriter is, so I have a record before the oil change. Although within this new bulletin, they can now say it’s normal as the oil change is not mentioned.

If you let any skilled mechanic that's not working for a Ford dealership listen to that engine, they'd say those noises are far from normal. I don't even think that's really the typewriter tick, IMO sounds like something far beyond that.
Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
If you let any skilled mechanic that's not working for a Ford dealership listen to that engine they'd say it's far from normal. I don't even think that's really the typewriter tick, IMO something far beyond that.
You heard that video, right? It's insane. I guess there are others that are like that, and it's almost a slapping popping sound.

to the OP - please at least TRY an oil additive. You have nothing to lose.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You heard that video, right? It's insane.
Yeah, that's why I quoted the video and commented on it. That's far from "normal".

Ford dealers are using the typewriter tick TSB to explain away any engine noises, even ones far from normal.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Yeah, well,,,,*shrug* - nuclear option.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Agree. The last one said it occurs after an oil change. Many, including myself had the feature appear within weeks of driving the car off the lot.

I just hit 5,000 miles, so taking it in for it’s first oil change. Although mine burned 3 qts in first 3500 miles. I’m the last 1500 burned only 3/4 of a quart. I’ve not put anything in mine other than The motocraft 5w20 synthetic blend as it burned through it.

Just posted how normal my typewriter is, so I have a record before the oil change. Although within this new bulletin, they can now say it’s normal as the oil change is not mentioned.

Mine was exactly like this and ceratec worked. Still I have no idea what it is, or why ceratec works, but I am so glad it did work because I wouldnt be able to deal with this sound and would have kept taking the car in until lemon lawed probably. 11500 miles on the car now , I use a bottle of ceratec every oil change and have had no issues, car runs great and silent other than the 2k rpm rattle.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Mine was exactly like this and ceratec worked. Still I have no idea what it is, or why ceratec works, but I am so glad it did work because I wouldnt be able to deal with this sound and would have kept taking the car in until lemon lawed probably. 11500 miles on the car now , I use a bottle of ceratec every oil change and have had no issues, car runs great and silent other than the 2k rpm rattle.
Yep, you along with many others, so we are glad that people figured out a solution that worked. I know this is old news, and so is the Ceratec solution but damn. Ridiculous! Not choosing sides, but just...damn!

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ford dealers are using the typewriter tick TSB to explain away any engine noises, even ones far from normal.
This is my frustration. I’m telling them I’ll accept there is a ‘tick’ but you NEED to listen to my issue. They throw TSB’s at me and say it’s normal and sounds like all the others. I’m thinking my only option to get them to listen is to file lemon and let them direct me to a dealer, who they instruct to listen to me and the car.

I’m 100% certain, if it wasn’t under warranty, they would be digging into see what would be causing a horrible noise like that.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have this sound. I swear it's the lobe driven HP Fuel Pump. I also believe that pump is the primary source of noise behind the 2k rattle.
I just recently was sitting at idle and heard this noise and I thought, good grief that sounds terrible. Popped the hood and fairly easily pinpointed it to the DI pump. But mine is completely random. That was the first time in 6500 miles that I had heard that at idle. I think your theory about the 2k rattle is very interesting. Now, I've had that since the beginning. Take this for what it is worth but I SEEM to notice mine the most around the point of the transmission shifting gears (around 2k rpm, cause I drive like a grandpa) and for some reason in Sport mode. I have had it in drive and loaded the throttle just enough to cause it to shift around 3k and I wouldnt hear the 2k rattle. I know that sounds weird but I've managed to replicate several times.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hear is the thing about the tick. If it was bad it would destroy your engine. No engine makes that kind of noise with a problem and last.

Oh and for all those folks that drive these engines like grandpas. You will have problems. Drive the crap out of these things. Go to redline at least 3 times everytime you drive it. Babying a high performance engine is the opposite of what it needs. It needs to reach peak oil pressure. It needs heat cycling. It need The carbon cleaned off the top of the valves. I could go on and on but I won’t. I have a car to beat on.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hear is the thing about the tick. If it was bad it would destroy your engine. No engine makes that kind of noise with a problem and last.

Oh and for all those folks that drive these engines like grandpas. You will have problems. Drive the crap out of these things. Go to redline at least 3 times everytime you drive it. Babying a high performance engine is the opposite of what it needs. It needs to reach peak oil pressure. It needs heat cycling. It need The carbon cleaned off the top of the valves. I could go on and on but I won’t. I have a car to beat on.
All very good points but I'm pretty sure this is the second time you have called out my grandpa driving.:shock:

Sponsored

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
My grandsons 2 month old 2019 GT engine died on start up this week. Ford replacing engine.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All very good points but I'm pretty sure this is the second time you have called out my grandpa driving.:shock:
I always just hear Sarah McLaughlin singing in the back ground when someone talks about babying these cars. “ With just 3/4 pedal everyday you could save a coyote motor. That’s less than 6 gallons a month”

But I I don’t judge.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
This is my frustration. I’m telling them I’ll accept there is a ‘tick’ but you NEED to listen to my issue. They throw TSB’s at me and say it’s normal and sounds like all the others. I’m thinking my only option to get them to listen is to file lemon and let them direct me to a dealer, who they instruct to listen to me and the car.

I’m 100% certain, if it wasn’t under warranty, they would be digging into see what would be causing a horrible noise like that.
Your video is classic typewriter tick.
Almost sounds like a floppy timing chain in your video.
Bore scope it and maybe you’ll have more amo

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I have this sound. I swear it's the lobe driven HP Fuel Pump. I also believe that pump is the primary source of noise behind the 2k rattle.
There have been a few cams wiped out on that bank...I wonder if related

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
My grandsons 2 month old 2019 GT engine died on start up this week. Ford replacing engine.

After two months, still waiting for the engine to be replaced.
Sponsored