Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I'm considering trading in my current car on a base GT, 301A, Magneride, MT82 & active exhaust. 0% and all, hard to pass up.

How good is the Magneride? In my sig line are my current suspension mods. Do the 18s & 19s still need rear suspension mods to not hop around in corners with bumps?

What is the effect of the Magneride? Is it really that good? Is it soft enough on bumpy roads? Is it firm and controlled enough in the twisties?

Thanks for your opinions/observations, test drives don't allow for real spirited driving.
Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
What is the effect of the Magneride? Is it really that good? Is it soft enough on bumpy roads? Is it firm and controlled enough in the twisties?

Thanks for your opinions/observations, test drives don't allow for real spirited driving.
My 2013 Escape 4WD is more harsh on regular roads than my BULLITT in normal mode, and I have taken the BULIITT and pushed it on some mountain roads and it is very impressive....

You might still want an IRS, but overall it is quite amazing....

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm considering trading in my current car on a base GT, 301A, Magneride, MT82 & active exhaust. 0% and all, hard to pass up.

How good is the Magneride? In my sig line are my current suspension mods. Do the 18s & 19s still need rear suspension mods to not hop around in corners with bumps?

Weird, I just replied to someone, re: Mustang PP vs. Challenger, and said Mag Ride is a fantastic improvement. It's great just cruising around on typical city roads, the way it dynamically dials things in, is semi-magical, including controlling things like rebound on the fly so the car stays perfectly settled, the various settings really up the performance, in sport mode (sport steering, exhaust on track mode) it feels like a serious sports car, even a little frisky, very confident in sudden transitions, and keep in mind I'm talking about a +convertible+ GT where there's already a touch of compromise, in a coupe, it would be even better.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
The only mustangs I can compare my ride to, both are base 17 models and the mag ride is a million times better then those cars. I don’t know how much of a step up over the PP the mag ride is. But I’d buy it again no questions asked not even thinking about it. The ride difference between normal and track is very noticeable. I don’t think I’ll own another car without mag ride and active exhaust.. must haves to me

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Say what?
I don't know, but I have seen a couple of posts people have put on a Steeda IRS subframe on and said it made it better. I don't have one and am not planning on it, as I am very happy with the way it is.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
have Magneride on mine with 20" wheels, it rides just as good/bad as my Audi A3 with 18". I am also lowered.

The Magneride is golden for the ride quality, for DD-ing I have it in Normal mode more or less all the time. Over one year later I am still surprised how comfortable it is and I have put down almost 14.5k miles.

In my opinion the car is to soft in track, I have the FP springs and they are to soft as well, on the rears at least.

With all that said I would not buy a 18-20gt without it.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I came from a non-PP 18GT suspension to a Magneride GT. It's awesome. It's less so about feeling firm (it it doesn't feel anything like having track struts/shocks), it just seems more composed. There's much less feel in Magneride, IMO. The suspension can be bouncing like crazy but very little of that transitions to the cab as the mag-ride does its thing. Track mode doesn't really make the road imperfections seem more noticeable to the point where it's bouncy, it just feels...tighter, I guess.

It's kind of hard to compare to regular struts, it just doesn't operate the same as those. I haven't done any super aggressive driving in it yet so I can't speak to cornering flatness, but it's very composed and doesn't bounce at all when DD'ing. I think that magneride handling pack would really wake it up, as the included springs don't seem all that firm.

I'm about to take a road trip to NC next week, I'm hoping to really experience the benefits of it up there, my normal driving routine doesn't involve too much excitement.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes, Magneride is worth it for a daily driver. Yes, IRS subframe lock outs are needed to allow the rear end to communicate with the driver.

A dedicated track car and track only suspension will be faster on the track.
Cheers,

Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1

Awesome spec. I'd want the PP, but perfect otherwise. What color? Buy it and take pics :)

From all i've read, magneride is the bee's knees. I just wouldn't want "another thing that can go wrong". Also why active exhaust doesn't interest me. But for all around comfort as well as performance all in one, don't know if it can really be beat.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I drove several 19's before I bought mine, both with and without Magneride.

1. You want it.
2. You need it.

That being said, initial impressions were that Normal mode vs Normal mode, the Magneride is tighter, turns in more crisply, and stays flatter than the non-magneride car *but* it is ALSO more compliant/comfortable than the normal car.

In Sport mode, the normal car approaches what the Magneride does in normal in regard to turn in, but the compliance is still not in line. It doesn't even compare to the Sport mode of Magneride.

TL;DR:
Non-Magneride = 80's Buick
Magneride = Actual sports car.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
My coil overs on some rough Michigan highways are unbearable. So if you can get even close to the performance of coil overs with a smooth ride I’d do it. Wish I had. But like others have said you’ll still need to lock down the IRS.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Awesome spec. I'd want the PP, but perfect otherwise.
Must be a PP car, as that's the only way to source MR :)

Speaking of which ... that's sort of a bummer, it's not available as a stand-alone option, since it's so good for just improving daily use, but I guess they've got it sort of marketed into a performance segment.

It does mean it's effectively a ~$5700 option :D

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
It does mean it's effectively a ~$5700 option :D

This is exactly how I viewed it when I ordered my 2018. Magneride's cool, but I didn't really want all of what PP has to offer, so $5700 for some fancy suspension was a crapshoot. Now that I have both, I can still say that most of the PP stuff isn't really noticeable at all over the non-PP car when DD'ing. The brakes don't bite any harder, the torsen doesn't 'drive' different, the gauge pack is a gimmick, etc. The most noticeably thing to me is having to shift sooner and naturally cruise at higher RPMs due to the change from 3.55 to 3.73 gears. That said, it's a lot of cool stuff to have, just not really a 'must have' for a DD. The PS4S are a hell of a tire, though. But I was content with my firehawks, the regular all season tires and 18" wheels are a joke compared to the PP equipment.
Sponsored