My times suck! What am I doing wrong??

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Most of the time try to avoid it but might catch a little of the run off. I tried going through twice I think with burnout but then decided it did nothing for me
You don't need a big burnout at all. It's not going to help you. Your suspension and tires are not going to hold up for what you need.

That wheel hop from first to 2nd is also extremely hard on your car. You should avoid it at all costs.

Honestly I would not stress about drag racing a stock GT. Even the GT500 is not really putting down anything impressive for the cost.

Decide what build path you want to go and look into the supporting mods you will need. If you really want to drag race. You don't have to rip 8 second quarters to have fun. But I would still suggest doing some standard things if you intend to drag it from a dig on a regular basis. If not your just going to tear the car up and run at best a 12.5 ish quarter.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Do you have 20 inch rubber band tires? These will never hook unless at the US nationals when they have 1 inch of glue on the starting line.

To stop the wheel hop you need steedas stop the hop kit.

Djetok

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1
Do you have 20 inch rubber band tires? These will never hook unless at the US nationals when they have 1 inch of glue on the starting line.

To stop the wheel hop you need steedas stop the hop kit.
He is a 20 gt PP1 401a car. 19's with 275's at the back.

@Spaceman the run I watched had zero wheel hop. When you tune you will want the stop the hop kit. The one I showed you last night was the steeda kit.

OP
OP

Spaceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
He is a 20 gt PP1 401a car. 19's with 275's at the back.

@Spaceman the run I watched had zero wheel hop. When you tune you will want the stop the hop kit. The one I showed you last night was the steeda kit.
The wheel hop only happens to me in drag mode. I avoid that mode now because of that and the wheel spin at the line. I was in sport+ for the run you saw. Like you were saying it was my fastest drive mode

OP
OP

Spaceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
You don't need a big burnout at all. It's not going to help you. Your suspension and tires are not going to hold up for what you need.

That wheel hop from first to 2nd is also extremely hard on your car. You should avoid it at all costs.

Honestly I would not stress about drag racing a stock GT. Even the GT500 is not really putting down anything impressive for the cost.

Decide what build path you want to go and look into the supporting mods you will need. If you really want to drag race. You don't have to rip 8 second quarters to have fun. But I would still suggest doing some standard things if you intend to drag it from a dig on a regular basis. If not your just going to tear the car up and run at best a 12.5 ish quarter.
I’m torn on my build path. I really would like a car that is good at both drag and road course/autocross. I realize you can’t have a car that is great at both because the setups are too different to be super competitive. Am I wrong in thinking that a stop the hop kit, CAI, and e85 tune would benefit both styles of racing? I’m new to both so it’s all a learning experience for me right now

Sponsored

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
I’m torn on my build path. I really would like a car that is good at both drag and road course/autocross. I realize you can’t have a car that is great at both because the setups are too different to be super competitive. Am I wrong in thinking that a stop the hop kit, CAI, and e85 tune would benefit both styles of racing? I’m new to both so it’s all a learning experience for me right now
Honestly this is just my opinion but I would pick 1 route for the car and go with it. You can make a track setup and it's going to easily beat a stock GT. But it's not going to run with even a cheap Whipple drag setup. It's simply 2 wayyyy different things.

I have a 2018 GT twin turbo pushing 1200 rwhp for the drag strip. Just got a 22 that I am working to make a track car. Completely different builds. Even the fuel systems are going to be slightly different.

The suspension setups are night and day different. I have a lot to learn about the track setup but could walk you through a drag setup easily.

Another thing to keep in mind is taking the car to the drag strip is going to be infinitely cheaper than doing HPDEs.

My twin turbo 18 is still perfectly streetable. I would advise going the twin turbo route for drag. Unless you have a certain class you want to compete in.

A beginner drag setup could look like this: Steeda or BMR stop the hop kit, drag pack rear wheels and tires (leave the front stock for now), return style fuel system with a triple hat setup (only need 2 dw400 pumps for now until future expansion), 1050x injectors, Lund, PBD, or Wegner tune, headers with a true 3 inch exhaust. No mufflers. Oil pump gears. Stock CAI don't spend money here as when you go forced air induction you will be removing it. Rear axles should be fine at this power level.

This sets you up with around a 550 ish hp car that will hook up 10 out 10 times. Then you can decide on what setup you want to go. Turbo or supercharger. Once again I recommend turbos but you do what you need. Once you go with a big power adder you will need to build the transmission and get a 1 piece drive shaft and upgraded axles. I'd go with a 3.15 rear end.

I'm my opinion you can take the stock gen 3 engine to around 1000 hp as long as you are not beating the shit out of it. WITH OIL PUMP GEARS.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Am I wrong in thinking that a stop the hop kit, CAI, and e85 tune would benefit both styles of racing? I’m new to both so it’s all a learning experience for me right now
This will give you the best of both setups. The stop the hop kit helps on a road course and at the strip. They have 2 types of vertical link bushings go with the softer if you want it more street or road course friendly.

CAI is not needed as the stock CAI is very good, and E85 works everytime.

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
For road course you are going to need to focus more on heat issues from the rear diff, and motor on these stock GTs.

This is where I am doing some exploring on my 22.

Djetok

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1
The wheel hop only happens to me in drag mode. I avoid that mode now because of that and the wheel spin at the line. I was in sport+ for the run you saw. Like you were saying it was my fastest drive mode
I just picked up this beadlocked drag pack in Pryor.

He ran his 18 pp1 on michelins at noble 12.8. Tulsa 12.3. Just FYI. We didn't get run at the throwdown last because of the rain. We will be there in 2 weeks at test n tune.
20220821_182735.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Spaceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I just picked up this beadlocked drag pack in Pryor.

He ran his 18 pp1 on michelins at noble 12.8. Tulsa 12.3. Just FYI. We didn't get run at the throwdown last because of the rain. We will be there in 2 weeks at test n tune.
20220821_182735.jpg
Man that’s a huge difference between tracks that are probably around the same elevation. It’ll be a few weeks before I can get back out but I saw Tulsa has a daytime test n tune on 10/1 so I’ll probably try to make it to that to see what my car does there. Nice grab on the tires

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Stop going to the drag strip on street radials. Put a set of drag radials on it, and you'll drop at least 6/10ths off your 1320' ET.......

8-9 10ths with better DA.

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
3% HP for every 1000' of altitude......

3% isn't much on a stock NA car. You are going to lose 10-12 hp or so at a 3000 DA.

Not exactly going to change the game here....

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
3% isn't much on a stock NA car. You are going to lose 10-12 hp or so at a 3000 DA.

Not exactly going to change the game here....
Every bit helps.......

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Every bit helps.......
For sure. But 10 HP on a 3800 pound car is not going to move your times by much if anything. I mean there are wayyyy bigger fish to try if you are trying to drag race a stock GT.

They just are mass produced cars with a great engine. Pretty much everything else is kinda shit. Well the 10R80 is a amazing transmission also.

That's what your really paying for.

To get it to move down a drag strip with any kind of decent speeds it's all about the suspension/wheel and tire setup.

If I had to do my twin turbo 18 over again I would have done the suspension and stuff first.
Sponsored