Sponsored

GT 13.1 What's wrong?

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Car: Auto, 3.15 Gears

Left: Only CB Exhaust, didn't hook on my first run so I really eased into this one and still had some spin. Used "D" and no sport mode. Ran on ~35 PSI (I know.) Felt slow as I expected and time was about what I thought for how I ran it.

Middle: CB Exhaust, Intake, Tune. Idle launch used "D" and no sport. ~28 PSI. Felt like a good run...guess not.

Right: CB Exhaust, Intake, Tune. ~1200 RPM Launch, "D" and Sport + mode. ~28 PSI. Had small slippage.

Run 1 was a few weeks ago. Runs 2 & 3 were 5/1/15.

Side note is I've never got under 5.1 on the 0-60 app. Talking with tune shop and going back Monday.

Any other ideas that don't involve adding better tires or more power because that's obvious? Trying to figure out why my current setup isn't performing as it should. Possibly just operator error too.
Sponsored

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
which tune are you running? I flashed a Lund tune and noticed a night and day difference. Your mph should have went up with the tune, the fact that it stayed the same tells me the tune didn't do anything for you.

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's a custom tune from a local shop (it was recommended by multiple people). Not going to say who as we are still working through things. I do have the Lund tune as it came with my JLT purchase. Messing around last weekend I loaded the Lund tune over their custom and it did feel better but there were 2 things I didn't like. Correction below----The first was the shop said the tune I was given was not very good and said I shouldn't drive on it at all---- and they had to write a completely different strategy (not sure what that means). I know a shop doing a custom tune is never going to say another tune is better but I'd rather the car be on their tune if something goes wrong for the time being. The other is when I tried to load the custom tune over the Lund tune I got a few error messages, figured out I had to load the stock one first and then the Lund but was still getting "you need to update device" errors even though it said updated. Finally got it switched but was a pain.

---- Correction they said it was not getting the most power out of it and that was the reason for saying not to run it----

Last edited:

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Any other ideas that don't involve adding better tires or more power because that's obvious? Trying to figure out why my current setup isn't performing as it should. Possibly just operator error too.
Your 60ft is pretty bad but your mph should be higher regardless.
What DA?
Is your intake tune only? If not, go back to stock and do some baseline runs.

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure what your question is about intake tune only? The tune was done after the Intake and CB installed.

Density Altitude: 1076 feet
Relative Density: 96.89 %

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Not sure what your question is about intake tune only? The tune was done after the Intake and CB installed.

Density Altitude: 1076 feet
Relative Density: 96.89 %
Some intakes don't require a tune.
You should datalog to see if timing is being pulled.

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They did say the intake definitely needed a tune. I asked about removing the tune to take it back to a dealer (I know they can tell just curious) and he said that's fine but I would need to put the stock intake back on. JLT is widely used, would it be a standard if it needs a tune or not or is it still a case by case basis?

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Never flash one tune over another. Always reload the stock tune first, then the new tune

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
On what basis did the shop say the Lund tune was no good? Sounds a little fishy. I'd put the stock tune back on, load the lund tune, data log, send the logs to Lund and see what they say.

Given that you trap speed did not improve at all with the custom tune would make me question the custom tune's effectiveness.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
On what basis did the shop say the Lund tune was no good? Sounds a little fishy. I'd put the stock tune back on, load the lund tune, data log, send the logs to Lund and see what they say.

Given that you trap speed did not improve at all with the custom tune would make me question the custom tune's effectiveness.
This!!!

Livernois and Lund are the top tuners out there. Their performance proves this, over and over and over. Truly not even debatable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That was all they told me. I did just re-send the email I got with Lund back to make sure I didn't get a wrong file by mistake. To data log do you need to go a 1/4 mile?

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What's odd is that they doyo'd the catback vs CB/JLT/Lund and gained 10 HP 0 TQ. Then did their tune and added another 6 HP 28 TQ (Mustang Dyno). He said he might have missed something with the throttle body and would look into it on Monday.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Something isn't right with your custom tune, that's for sure. Also, it's one thing push their tune over another, but to completely bad-mouth one of the most reputable tuners out there is pretty petty. On what basis are they saying it's a bad tune? You can't access the tune to even see what was done...

I'd be leery of any shop that takes that approach.

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I guess it was what the car was showing after the tune? Obviously I don't know how they work. I was pretty picky in choosing a place or else I would agree they are incompetent but I'll see what they come up with. I posted originally because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy so this info helps. I'll specifically ask what was wrong with the Lund tune and any other questions you have.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
That was all they told me. I did just re-send the email I got with Lund back to make sure I didn't get a wrong file by mistake. To data log do you need to go a 1/4 mile?

I don't think you can really (at least not easily) data log during 1/4 mile.

You likely need to do a 3rd or 4th (Lund could tell you for sure) gear pull. Starting at about 2000rpm, full throttle to red line. Generally do this 2 or 3 times back to back to get a decent sample - creating a new log file each time.

Of course the trick is finding a road where you can do this safely. On a dyno would be the safest bet - and then you could do the pull in 5th gear.
Sponsored