My 2018 GT is Base What am I missing?

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just bought a 2018 GT, base model, 6 speed, 3.55 rear axle, the only option is the black package for $995. I drove it and loved it and the dealer took my 2017 Camaro RS with the troublesome A8 tranny in trade.

So what are the weak points not having the "track" or any upgraded packages? Is the basic suspension the same, except for the shocks and maybe stabilizer bars? Or does it have completely different suspension? It does not have the front strut brace. The brakes are also not Brembo- so are they "adequate" for daily use?

I do not intend to track the car, just weekend use. It has plenty of power, so no power mods- exhaust, air intake, etc. to me are needed. But the suspension and brakes is what I was wondering about.

Can basic upgrades be done- like better shocks, add stabilizer bars, front strut brace to improve handling? And the brakes- can they be upgraded- better rotors, pads, or change them out completely?
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Of course you can upgrade all those parts mentioned at a cost.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As you said, there is quite a bit of bracing that the performance pack cars get, that the base cars don't. And the PP cars have thicker sway bars, firmer springs, bigger brakes, better wheels and tires. Most of these parts can be obtained from Ford, or something comparable can be found from the aftermarket, if you feel like the car needs it for your driving.

Personally, even with the base suspension I'm fairly happy with how controlled body lean is, and there is much less brake dive than on my 2011. The brakes seem fine for daily driving. If you have the base 18" wheels and all-season tires, that's probably the first/weakest link. I'm thinking about adding the strut tower brace, because it seems easy to do, and because Ford thought the higher level cars should have it...but I don't know if I'll actually feel any tangible difference in day to day driving.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Pretty much everything; but, the lights, engine and transmission are upgraded on the PP1 cars.

If you’re only boulevard cruising; just add a set of light weight wheels and performance tires. Search for P51 wheels.

Cheers,

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
What yer missing is all of the money for the new parts that you are going to buy so you will have the pleasure of installing because you now have an enthusiasts bug that will never end with the next upgrade that you have found .. and some where down the endless tunnel of time and pursuit you will find out that yer transmission is going to fail yer new engine ticks and you should really hold off on updating yer new found joy has to be broken and yer frustrated with FOMOCO and the endless
Joy of wondering why you bought a POS Mustang .. yeah I know FOMOCO has
Ruined the 2018 ...... so do not become a product junky of the aftermarket world until your warranty has expired !

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Jeez, that was to the point^

The standard 4 piston brakes are more than adequate. My '15 is non PP and the brakes are better than the GT500 brakes I have on my '05 Whippled stroker car. I'd leave it alone for a while

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
All of the stuff you want can be bought on the cheap. Right here on this forum. Some idiot will pay for the PP1. Then strip all those suspension parts off the car. And sell them for nothing! Just keep checking the classifieds on this forum. All parts mentioned are easy bolt on work that can be done in your driveway. If you have an ounce of mechanical ability. Don’t be afraid to change the thing you want.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The aftermarket is extensive on these cars.

Mod as you see fit.

Like mentioned before, if the car has all seasons on it, my first order of business would be lighter wheels and a decent set of street tires. Probably bump yourself up to a 275 squared up setup. There is plenty of room and they are rotatable.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
All of the stuff you want can be bought on the cheap. Right here on this forum. Some idiot will pay for the PP1. Then strip all those suspension parts off the car. And sell them for nothing! Just keep checking the classifieds on this forum. All parts mentioned are easy bolt on work that can be done in your driveway. If you have an ounce of mechanical ability. Don’t be afraid to change the thing you want.
Where do ya think I got mine ? Oh yeah check yer Steeda Bolts .

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
I kind of have the same dilemma. I'm close to getting a GT Premium with the 401A package because I really want an updated modern cockpit. I'm wondering if I should not get the Premium and get a PP version that is other wise bare. Same money either way. One is the luxury version the other the sport. Is the body roll that much better/tigher with the PP? That to me is the main thing that matters and putting some 19's on the luxury version car should help a bit. Do some add on's down the road. Only other significant difference to me is the rear end and how the 3.73 changes the RPM's at highway speeds?

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I kind of have the same dilemma. I'm close to getting a GT Premium with the 401A package because I really want an updated modern cockpit. I'm wondering if I should not get the Premium and get a PP version that is other wise bare. Same money either way. One is the luxury version the other the sport. Is the body roll that much better/tigher with the PP? That to me is the main thing that matters and putting some 19's on the luxury version car should help a bit. Do some add on's down the road. Only other significant difference to me is the rear end and how the 3.73 changes the RPM's at highway speeds?
PP1 with 301A package is like GT premium lite. you get power seats, 9 speaker stereo, sync 3, large infotainment display, dual climate control as well as all the PP goodies, and I got the A10 as well and payed 39k back in January when these cars were still fairly new to everyone

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
PP1 with 301A package is like GT premium lite. you get power seats, 9 speaker stereo, sync 3, large infotainment display, dual climate control as well as all the PP goodies, and I got the A10 as well and payed 39k back in January when these cars were still fairly new to everyone
Good idea but I still want leather and the only way to get the premium GT to start with the basic leather seats. I could live without the LCD dash and there are so many cars out there optioned with the "safe and smart" package "enhanced security" thing and I don't need or want to pay for those options.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
To make a base mustang closer to a PP1, you get the ford racing street handling kit for about $950 and the Ford brembo front kit for $1200 and maybe the rear kit if you fancy for around $450 and a GT STB for maybe $175, since you already got the 3.55 gears. will be missing a few things like the torsen differential.

Is the 18+ base gt suspension same as 15 base gt?

Scorpio27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
17 Hellcat A8 -18 Mustang GT PP A10
For the money a 301A package with performance pack 1 and active exhaust /10 speed
301a over the Base 300 gets you out of the little 5 inch screen and gets you a large screen 9 speaker middle of the road stereo with apple car play and andriod auto
along with mycolor and dual power cloth seats and dual climate control and 4 toggle switches with drive modes steering modes and ability to turn traction control and advanced traction?stability control Off completely
Track pack gets you different k member a strut tower brace ,bigger sway bars upgraded shocks and struts along with 6 piston brembos and upgraded radiator -3:55 torsen diff with A10 over a 3:15 if manual you get 3:73 over 3:55
you also get the performance pack Black mesh wheels 255/19 and 275/19 with michellin sticky rubber
all you need then is Active Exhaust which in my opinion looks and sounds awsome with the ability to control the volume .
so if you can live without the top line stereo leather and a digital cluster its about 6k cheaper and you get a lot of whats important and you trim some of the fat ...my car was 44800 301A just like above in Royal crimson and OTD i paid 40K 2750 in ford rebates and Xplan 2200 off this car was a no Brainer i traded my 16 Camaro SS A8 with 1362 miles for it and i Dont miss it one bit , Yes it was fast too yes it handled awsome and it was a 2SS loaded with every option but it sucked to see out of which i could live with but they are not nearly as mod friendly or as Good looking as the mustang not to mention the 10 speed is way better I love a high reving Engine .hope this helps out when picking options

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No need to upgrade anything for street use. There's DEFINITELY no reason to upgrade the brakes for street use. Performance brakes shed more heat so that they don't fade on the track. On the street your brakes will never get hot enough to fade.

If you want stiffer suspension and more body control I can understand wanting to swap springs/shocks/sways for street driving. Not needed, but understandable.
Sponsored