Sponsored

My 2018 GT is Base What am I missing?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If your car is a weekend warrior, you have zero reason to upgrade anything except for creature comforts. And for the love of christ, please do not upgrade your sway bars unless you're autocrossing or track driving. I'm so sick and tired of guys upgrading their sway bars, running full stiff, and then saying how much better their car handles while pulling out of the local Starbucks.

Enjoy your car as it is because it's plenty for a street brawler. If anything, give it some wheels, tires, and lowering springs that match rates to the factory shocks and struts for some style. Think pragmatically.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I just bought a 2018 GT, base model, 6 speed, 3.55 rear axle, the only option is the black package for $995. I drove it and loved it and the dealer took my 2017 Camaro RS with the troublesome A8 tranny in trade.

So what are the weak points not having the "track" or any upgraded packages? Is the basic suspension the same, except for the shocks and maybe stabilizer bars? Or does it have completely different suspension? It does not have the front strut brace. The brakes are also not Brembo- so are they "adequate" for daily use?

I do not intend to track the car, just weekend use. It has plenty of power, so no power mods- exhaust, air intake, etc. to me are needed. But the suspension and brakes is what I was wondering about.

Can basic upgrades be done- like better shocks, add stabilizer bars, front strut brace to improve handling? And the brakes- can they be upgraded- better rotors, pads, or change them out completely?

Here you go...…

Ford Performance Part Catalog 2018

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I just bought a 2018 GT, base model, 6 speed, 3.55 rear axle, the only option is the black package for $995. I drove it and loved it and the dealer took my 2017 Camaro RS with the troublesome A8 tranny in trade.

So what are the weak points not having the "track" or any upgraded packages? Is the basic suspension the same, except for the shocks and maybe stabilizer bars? Or does it have completely different suspension? It does not have the front strut brace. The brakes are also not Brembo- so are they "adequate" for daily use?

I do not intend to track the car, just weekend use. It has plenty of power, so no power mods- exhaust, air intake, etc. to me are needed. But the suspension and brakes is what I was wondering about.

Can basic upgrades be done- like better shocks, add stabilizer bars, front strut brace to improve handling? And the brakes- can they be upgraded- better rotors, pads, or change them out completely?
I don't mean to sound......like myself......but you're asking a ton of obvious-answer questions. And many you can answer for yourself.

The question on the OEM brakes is particularly funny; no, the stock brakes are not adequate for daily use, Ford expects all buyers to replace them immediately.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Did we scare OP off or away or did hhe forget to mention he wasn't coming back ?

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet but if you buy a base model when the time comes to get rid of it you will still be treated as if you're trading in a base model no matter the mods you do to the car. just something to keep in mind

Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The base 4 piston GT brakes are Brembo private label design and are the same as the 2012-13 Boss 302s. Very capable for street use and light track. The Ford Mustang marketing manager said that beginning in 2018, all GTs and EcoSoot cars were receiving the same PP1 shocks and struts from the factory which helped get rid of the previous jiggles in the 15-17 base suspensions. Just add springs, strut bars, and sway bars for close to PP1 performance along with Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
The base 4 piston GT brakes are Brembo private label design and are the same as the 2012-13 Boss 302s. Very capable for street use and light track. The Ford Mustang marketing manager said that beginning in 2018, all GTs and EcoSoot cars were receiving the same PP1 shocks and struts from the factory which helped get rid of the previous jiggles in the 15-17 base suspensions. Just add springs, strut bars, and sway bars for close to PP1 performance along with Michelin Pilot Sport tires.
I believe I remember reading the base brakes are not designed for track use and will overheat very quickly due to their design.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Good idea but I still want leather and the only way to get the premium GT to start with the basic leather seats. I could live without the LCD dash and there are so many cars out there optioned with the "safe and smart" package "enhanced security" thing and I don't need or want to pay for those options.

I’ve got a base GT. Easy to swap leather and cost me about $300. There’s a few videos and these cars come right apart. No hog rings or anything on the 15+. Also added some ambient light. Got about $1200 into my sound with upgraded Rockford setup and JL fix. Sounds better than anything ford would ever put out.
F946E229-08EB-45BD-9EFB-D9C78065233F.jpeg

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Actually your're not missing a thing unless you think you are. The base GT is a lot of band for the bucks. And, you can upgrade anything you like as time goes on. www.americanmuscle.com & www.cjponyparts.com etc. will be your friends if you have the money. :)

Warning: The mod bug will get you if you don't look out.

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What yer missing is all of the money for the new parts that you are going to buy so you will have the pleasure of installing because you now have an enthusiasts bug that will never end with the next upgrade that you have found .. and some where down the endless tunnel of time and pursuit you will find out that yer transmission is going to fail yer new engine ticks and you should really hold off on updating yer new found joy has to be broken and yer frustrated with FOMOCO and the endless
Joy of wondering why you bought a POS Mustang .. yeah I know FOMOCO has
Ruined the 2018 ...... so do not become a product junky of the aftermarket world until your warranty has expired !
I hate feeding trolls, but I guessed if you really drive a 2015 ecoboost, you should check out all the "ecoboom" threads and maybe report back on an actual percentage of 2018s with enigine/transmission issues, much less both, instead of spreading fud

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I bought the base A10 to get my payment where I wanted it. Then I added parts at my own affordable pace to season to taste. Wheels, tires, springs, and anti hop parts first. Then sub/amp combo. Then Lund tune, intake and exhaust parts for powa. Then a few custom things like badges, roush hood vents, cross drilled/slotted rotors, and tint. Now my car looks great, handles great, goes like stink, bump in da trunk, just like I want it to my way at my pace.

OP
OP

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies. I have had a chance since to do more reading and know what the PP1 and PP2 has now versus the Base GT. I know I can perform some basic upgrades to the suspension, tires and wheels as well but I plan on no mods- I really like the way the car is right now for my driving style. As I mentioned I did not buy it for the track or to drag race. It's my weekend cruiser, replacing a Camaro 2LT. It might not be as good as a Camaro 1LE or a GT PP2 but I also did not pay 45 or 50K for it. It still has the 5.0 and it is a 6 speed manual and has a very sweet sound. So far, loving it- it does what it supposed to do- that my Camaro did not.
Sponsored