Base GT test drive not impressive. What am I missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Can't say it is slower - then again, I don't drag mine.

But...it should be noted it is a package designed for road racing, not drag. Staggered tires, 6 piston / brembo brakes, different rotors (I think), strut bar and torsen. Oh, 3.73 gears. But I'll let the experts here clarify.
Plus and oil cooler, larger radiator, sticker tires.. :ford:
Sponsored

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah, I am pretty sure I was in the proper power for only really a total of a minute during my 15 minute test drive. I think I was over expecting too much from the motor. I read so much about it being a beast, and be careful pulling out and such. This car was far from scary driving normally and even more spirited driving then normal. I'm quite sure as I would open it up staying in the power I would feel more of the "beast" people talk about. For me I guess i like a lot of torque right away even with moderate throttle and lower rpm. I like in 5th gear in my ecoboost I give 1/4 throttle at 55 mph and it pulls quite well. As I tried to do the same in the gt I kept pushing the pedal more and more and it wasn't pulling as well. I checked my speed in the gt when I let off for the turn coming up and did the same run with my car on way home. It was faster. I do feel certain if I were to have done the same run in say 3rd gear in both the gt would be faster. I am hoping the gearing in the pp I plan to drive next opens my eyes more.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Was this a new vehicle? Maybe it wasn't broken in yet? Idk if that even really factors in, just throwing it out there.

Throwing it in Sport or Race and pulling out quickly, I can barely keep traction.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
It was a used base. 6000 miles. I drove 1/3 normal, sport then paddle manual mode. Wot at 4000 in second and once in 3rd. I was all ready incase too much spin. Not even close even from the stop sign pull in sport auto. I did not do any power breaking though.

Sponsored

schenoy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015. Ruby Red
A Catback exhaust. I have Roush. Opened her up!

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
It was a used base. 6000 miles. I drove 1/3 normal, sport then paddle manual mode. Wot at 4000 in second and once in 3rd. I was all ready incase too much spin. Not even close even from the stop sign pull in sport auto. I did not do any power breaking though.
Even with 3:15 which on the auto isn't bad to begin with, it should pull hard. I have a 3:15 auto with the stickier summer tires on my 20" Foundry wheels and it will break the tires loose. In normal drive mode you can use the paddle to drop down a gear when driving if you want to pass, it will then go back to auto shifting on its own. It's 435HP so it should feel quick with all the gear ratios. Power braking would make a huge difference though, especially launching from a stop.

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Probably been said already, clearly you did not drive the GT
in sport mode where it hits the rev limiter in every gear.

Make sure you have an open road ahead when you try the above. . .:ninja:

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Yeah, I am pretty sure I was in the proper power for only really a total of a minute during my 15 minute test drive. I think I was over expecting too much from the motor. I read so much about it being a beast, and be careful pulling out and such. This car was far from scary driving normally and even more spirited driving then normal. I'm quite sure as I would open it up staying in the power I would feel more of the "beast" people talk about. For me I guess i like a lot of torque right away even with moderate throttle and lower rpm. I like in 5th gear in my ecoboost I give 1/4 throttle at 55 mph and it pulls quite well. As I tried to do the same in the gt I kept pushing the pedal more and more and it wasn't pulling as well. I checked my speed in the gt when I let off for the turn coming up and did the same run with my car on way home. It was faster. I do feel certain if I were to have done the same run in say 3rd gear in both the gt would be faster. I am hoping the gearing in the pp I plan to drive next opens my eyes more.
Yes, that's the whole point of a turbo....a lot of torque at lower RPMs. For the 5.0 it's NA and DOHC, so it needs to rev higher to get power out. When you do get the power out....it's far more than the EcoBoost and will pull like a train.

My Cruze 1.4 turbo feels quicker, when lightly hitting the gas, because the torque comes on so early. However rev it out and it falls on it's face, unlike the Coyote. Get it to 4000 RPM and mash the gas.....then come back and let us know.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Even with 3:15 which on the auto isn't bad to begin with, it should pull hard. I have a 3:15 auto with the stickier summer tires on my 20" Foundry wheels and it will break the tires loose. In normal drive mode you can use the paddle to drop down a gear when driving if you want to pass, it will then go back to auto shifting on its own. It's 435HP so it should feel quick with all the gear ratios. Power braking would make a huge difference though, especially launching from a stop.
My test drive in a Cali Special was interesting - punching the gas caused the back to fishtail a bit - great fun! Tons of power.

Maybe try a different GT OP?

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
If you are looking for the traditional V8 push rod low end power why not check out the SS or Scat Pack as well if you are looking in that price range? May be what you are looking for if you don't like how the 5.0 makes power.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
lol no way a gt and eco feel the same time for a driver mod lol gt 3.73 gears and have fun

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yes, that's the whole point of a turbo....a lot of torque at lower RPMs. For the 5.0 it's NA and DOHC, so it needs to rev higher to get power out. When you do get the power out....it's far more than the EcoBoost and will pull like a train.

My Cruze 1.4 turbo feels quicker, when lightly hitting the gas, because the torque comes on so early. However rev it out and it falls on it's face, unlike the Coyote. Get it to 4000 RPM and mash the gas.....then come back and let us know.
The GT has more torque everywhere under the curve. His issue with how it "feels" at part throttle is entirely throttle modulation. He wants an on off switch for a throttle while the base GT is soft on tip in for better drivewbility.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
lol no way a gt and eco feel the same time for a driver mod lol gt 3.73 gears and have fun
Believe me it was not what I expecting to feel. But jumping across an intersection or accelerating on the highway at a 2500 rpm the ecoboost really pulls better.
So yesterday I took a trip and drove a pp 3.73 manual. Unfortunately it was a very crappy route thru construction zones and lots of traffic. I only got to accelerate to 55 a couple times. 2000 rpm not much. 3000 was ok. 4000 was fun. 4500 was the very strong. Way better then the ecoboost. But otherwise the merging with traffic and such still soft at those lower rpm. So my wife also drove the automatic. It had 3.15 gears again. Her comment was " is that what you want? It's seems slower then your car" of course she only drove in drive and didn't run it hard at all. I'm afraid I've driven turbo cars for so long I have grown to really like the effortless low-end torque. It's a shame the ecoboost has such soft top end. Even the stock gt sound was better then I expected. Any kind of racing the gt sure would be fun. I. Hate to say it but I have now considered test driving a SS. It's a tough pill to swallow especially growing up with my modded fox body racing camaro's. If I remember correctly that 302 had really nice torque. Also a little flat up. It was a 13.8 car.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Believe me it was not what I expecting to feel. But jumping across an intersection or accelerating on the highway at a 2500 rpm the ecoboost really pulls better.
So yesterday I took a trip and drove a pp 3.73 manual. Unfortunately it was a very crappy route thru construction zones and lots of traffic. I only got to accelerate to 55 a couple times. 2000 rpm not much. 3000 was ok. 4000 was fun. 4500 was the very strong. Way better then the ecoboost. But otherwise the merging with traffic and such still soft at those lower rpm. So my wife also drove the automatic. It had 3.15 gears again. Her comment was " is that what you want? It's seems slower then your car" of course she only drove in drive and didn't run it hard at all. I'm afraid I've driven turbo cars for so long I have grown to really like the effortless low-end torque. It's a shame the ecoboost has such soft top end. Even the stock gt sound was better then I expected. Any kind of racing the gt sure would be fun. I. Hate to say it but I have now considered test driving a SS. It's a tough pill to swallow especially growing up with my modded fox body racing camaro's. If I remember correctly that 302 had really nice torque. Also a little flat up. It was a 13.8 car.
The foxbody has far less low end torque than the coyote. You have an issue with throttle modulation, not the coyote. The GT has more hp and torque available than the EB at all rpm. Push the pedal down harder.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.