MT-82-D4 3rd, 4th gear creaking

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Funny thing......I have complained about my sloppy shifts from 1st to 2nd from time to time and realized that allowing revs to drop a second or more makes for much smoother shifts.......having the AC on does also since engine revs drop faster with the AC running........never thought about "Rev Hanging" for emissions.......interesting!!:sunglasses:

Wonder if the "Rev Hanging" can be disabled somehow?🤔

GOOD LUCK with your dealer visit!! :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Admittedly that clunk sound does appears sometimes when shifting from neutral into 1st, let's say about 1 out of 10 times. Nothing I am worrying about, right now.

I just wrote an email message in regard to the lubricant question. The dealer mostly likely will have given an answer by tomorrow evening.
I think the N to 1st clunk is slack in the driveshaft. My 03 Mach1 did that also. Goes away on cars with a solid shaft.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Are you comparing the Volkswagen Golf and a Mustang gear box ?

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Are you comparing the Volkswagen Golf and a Mustang gear box ?
Yes, although not a fair comparison maybe since there is quite a difference in weight, so in the VW the synchros have it easier with lighter rotating masses

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
I think the N to 1st clunk is slack in the driveshaft. My 03 Mach1 did that also. Goes away on cars with a solid shaft.
Solid shaft is not going to help in my case, whole driveline is tight and moves as one piece, all slop is in the differential.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Yes, sounds very much possible: While the input gear shaft is still in motion, driven by idle engine rpms speed, after depressing the clutch the input gear shaft (this is a solid piece including all gears) still is maintaing this motion for a short while (including all 6 output shaft gears) and when the shifter is put into 1st gear, the synchro takes this force and transfers it to the output shaft part of the driveline where it finally gets audible.

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Short feedback: Got a new appointment for the problem when the car will stay over night. They also mentioned that getting a new battery for free might be not easy.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
When the clutch is depressed the engine & gearbox. Operate, spinning independently.

Auto gear box, do not make the same sounds as manual. Due to the fact that when in drive. They never go into full neutral as the manual does.
Sponsored