MT-82 Gear noise.

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
Anyone else kinda shocked by the amount of noise from the trans? I have never had a manual rear wheel drive car. I know the trans is much close to the driver then in a transverse front wheel drive car. I just feel I am noticeing ALOT of noise out of my first three gears when shifting in an out of them. Should I be concered or is this normal MT-82 action? I did notice this noise in anther GT PP I test drove before mine arrived.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I also am noticing a hydraulic kind of hiss sound when I go in reverse. Anyone else notice this? It is almost like air hissing but more of a hydraulic nature. It is only in reverse and only with movement. Again should I be concerned or are all these noises normal?

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Reverse has always made a different noise when moving compared to forward gears in every car I've ever driven. It's probably normal.

OP
OP

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I agreed reverse has always made a much more intense gearing sound but this noise sounds almost like leaking hydraulics at a very high pressure.

buRNout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0, Oxford White, saddle
I have read all the guys talking about the transmission noises and thought "whew, glad I got the auto". Now mine is doing it at any given time but especially going into reverse. Just a loud, solid "klank" noise. And I am not forcing it, just dead still, foot on the brake and car on a flat surface. So I guess it's not just the manual transmission that is making noises

Sponsored

OP
OP

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Any other input? Is it just a loud ass transmission?

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I've had a lot of manual transmission cars over the years. They all made various noises to various degrees. It's an aluminum box filled with steel gears, and moving the stick slams brass synchro rings together to engage different gears, while they're spinning at high RPM. It's going to make noise.

IDK about the MT82 specifically, but a lot of manual transmissions had straight cut reverse gears instead of helical gears. Straight cut gears are stronger and easier to make, but produce a lot of noise.

If reverse gear is silent, then I'd worry. Heck, if a manual transmission is silent in general, I'd be worried. I won't worry until I can't shift it into gear, or it's grinding for no reason. Until then, all the worrying about thudding while shifting and reverse noise and thudding when letting the clutch out is just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Heinoceros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
My MT82 also makes noticeable gear noise in 1st through 3rd. Its not terrible, and i think it has gotten better in the first 2000 miles, but its still there. I dont remember the one i test drove being as noisy, but I probably just didnt notice it. Ive noticed when i have the stereo playing metallica, it goes away!
Sponsored