Misfiring on 3 cylinders

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
Hi. I have a 2022 built Gen 2 that has about 5k on it in a 2017 350. There are intermittent misfires on 3 cylinders but not throwing any codes. The Ford tech is going to try plugs but are there any other known things that he should try?
Sponsored

klawrence

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Hi. I have a 2022 built Gen 2 that has about 5k on it in a 2017 350. There are intermittent misfires on 3 cylinders but not throwing any codes. The Ford tech is going to try plugs but are there any other known things that he should try?
could swap the coils , and see if the issue follows the coils or stays with the cylinder. Are they all on the same bank ? cam timing request and cam timing actual the same ?

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
It was a long block warranty replacement at a different dealer. Not all on the same bank. I was thinking switching the coils around. I’ll mention about the cam timing thank you.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Question: How do you know that there are misfires on three cylinders if there aren't any codes? Or did you mean that the only codes are the misfire codes, nothing regarding anything else?

In any case, have you tried switching to a different gas? I run Shell 93 rather than Chevron 94 because the car seems to run smoother with it. I'm not sure if it's available where you are, but fuel can cause misfires, so maybe just run a tank of Shell 91 if 93's not available.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
At idle after warm up the idle stumbles and recovers. Went for a drive and Ford tech was able to see the misfires on a graph on his laptop.

The purge valve was not functioning so that was replaced previously.

interesting. I’ve been running chevron 94. I can’t believe it would create misfires but worth trying if we hit a wall on the diagnosis.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
At idle after warm up the idle stumbles and recovers. Went for a drive and Ford tech was able to see the misfires on a graph on his laptop.

The purge valve was not functioning so that was replaced previously.

interesting. I’ve been running chevron 94. I can’t believe it would create misfires but worth trying if we hit a wall on the diagnosis.
I agree that Chevron 94 is unlikely to be causing misfires, but a change to a different fuel would confirm that it's not the cause. My theory is that there's not a lot of ways to cause a stumble at idle (and only at idle) without leaving a code in the ECU. It's either fuel or spark, and that's pretty much it. The fact that it moves from one cylinder to another suggests fuel, because spark would likely be localized to the same cylinder(s) each time.

Also, even if the fuel's good, any water (condensation) in the fuel tank from the car sitting for a long time could cause misfires if it gets sucked into the engine's fuel system. Ethanol-free Chevron 94 won't interact with water but ethanol blended fuel will gradually absorb it and get it out of there. Again, it's a long shot, but it's worth a try and there's no downside.

klawrence

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Does it have an after market cold air intake ?

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
I agree that Chevron 94 is unlikely to be causing misfires, but a change to a different fuel would confirm that it's not the cause. My theory is that there's not a lot of ways to cause a stumble at idle (and only at idle) without leaving a code in the ECU. It's either fuel or spark, and that's pretty much it. The fact that it moves from one cylinder to another suggests fuel, because spark would likely be localized to the same cylinder(s) each time.

Also, even if the fuel's good, any water (condensation) in the fuel tank from the car sitting for a long time could cause misfires if it gets sucked into the engine's fuel system. Ethanol-free Chevron 94 won't interact with water but ethanol blended fuel will gradually absorb it and get it out of there. Again, it's a long shot, but it's worth a try and there's no downside.
Thank you. I think it shows up in the same 3 cylinders. I’ll change the fuel if we start hitting a dead end.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Any rodents around that might have chewed into the wiring loom?

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
Seems the plugs weren’t gapped properly or had changed overtime. All new plugs so peace of mind and hopefully the idle will be stable.

thank you for everyone’s help.

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
back again guys unfortunately. Purge valve, plugs, changed. Tried different fuel. No codes. Doesn’t seem to be misfiring as much but occasionally at a stop, clutch in, engine warm the idle drops momentarily

Out there question but is there any way it could be the aluminum flywheel and McLeod doing something to cause it to stumble?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
back again guys unfortunately. Purge valve, plugs, changed. Tried different fuel. No codes. Doesn’t seem to be misfiring as much but occasionally at a stop, clutch in, engine warm the idle drops momentarily

Out there question but is there any way it could be the aluminum flywheel and McLeod doing something to cause it to stumble?
Has it had a crank relearn?
Sponsored